May 7, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Man, it is getting hot in the Galaxy kitchen. Yes, even hotter than before.
On my mind this morning regarding the champs’ stunning tail spin is this: Is it already too late for any Galaxy hopes of hosting a second consecutive title contest?
Remember, the new league rules give the top-seeded MLS Cup finalist hosting rights – a rule that I have long advocated. Can. Not. Wait.
At roughly the MLS quarter pole, this struggling Galaxy is 7th in the West, ahead of just two teams with 10 points (and a 3-5-1 record).
To take the Supporters Shield and guarantee host rights in MLS Cup 2012, a team will probably need to place somewhere in the mid-60s in points. So the Galaxy will need to come up with about 50 points to be in the hunt (for Supporters Shield or for any realistic chance to have the best record among MLS finalists).
That’s a record going forward that looks something like 14-3-8 or 15-5-5.
Raise your hand if you see that happening.
If you raised your hand, fair enough. You have your opinion … the rest of us have ours. But do, good sir or madam, remember this: David Beckham, Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan (and their combined salaries of some $12 million annually) are quite likely to miss a big swath of summer games due to international duty.
Still see a big rally afoot?
On the other hand, you could make an argument that L.A.’s big kahunas aren’t getting the job done, anyway. The L.A. Times Kevin Baxter points out that very fact here, taking out his journalistic mallet and playing Wac-A-Mole with the three Galaxy DPs.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3