May 8, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
It’s Tuesday, the day Major League Soccer usually gives us the gift of suspension. Today, they didn’t let us down, but twist! There are net zero suspensions, though one Seattle Sounder will get Wednesday off.
Left back Leo González received a one game suspension (and requisite fine) for stepping on Sheanon Williams in the 88th minute of Sounders’ 1-0, Saturday victory. Official violation category: “endangering the safety of his opponent”.
In potentially bigger news, New England’s Fernando Cardenas has been un-suspended. De-suspended? Re-spended? I dunno.
The Colombian attacker saw red in the 81st minute against Real Salt Lake, a decision appealed by the Revolution.
Survey said yes, per MLS:
[A]n independent review panel – consisting of representatives of the Canadian Soccer Association, the Professional Referee Organization (PRO), and U.S. Soccer – has unanimously determined that New England Revolution forward Fernando Cardenas was incorrectly shown the red card in the 81st minute against Real Salt Lake …Utilizing the review process instituted prior to First Kick 2012, New England Revolution appealed the referee’s decision. After examining the play, the panel determined that the referee made an obvious error in the disciplinary sanction …
David Gantar was the official who committed that “obvious error in the disciplinary sanction.”
But look at me, going on when you might want videos. Leo first, then Fernando:
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public