May 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
If there’s any question about whether Jurgen Klinsmann is a modern-day coach, surely breaking news on Twitter closes the case – even if the “news” in question doesn’t rise to “stop the presses!” level.
The U.S. boss was, in fact, somewhat enlightening during a Twitter Q&A with U.S. fans on Tuesday.
Some of the “news” included:
- The upcoming camp roster will be announced in two parts.
- The first stage will drop on May 15, which happens to be the same day camp begins in Orlando. This initial group will be players based in Europe.
- I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman this afternoon; looks like this U.S. Soccer practice of announcing rosters the same day players show up will be a recurring bit. The U.S. under-23s did the same as they showed up in Nashville for Olympic qualifying.
- The rest of the roster will be announced May 20 as players report in from MLS clubs. The extra days for MLS men gives them one additional match with their clubs – something the teams surely appreciate. Most European-based men, by contrast, will be done this weekend and begin filtering into Orlando immediately.
- The initial camp roster will be 29 men. That’s something new; Klinsmann said a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep this camp manageable and on the smaller side.
- That said, the camp will, in fact, be reduced to 23 men on May 25, the day Orlando camp breaks and they get on a bus bound for Jacksonville, site of the first of five May-June matches.
- The “feel” of the camp will be similar to a tournament. That is, the pacing and the roster usage will resemble a five-game stretch over a month’s time frame.
- This camp and the games ahead are all about results, as the coach as stressed before.
- This will not be a roster with a lot of “experimenting” in terms of personnel being called in. That’s what the last nine months have been about.
- On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one name on the list that has yet to be seen in a Klinsmann camp. Just a hunch.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Harold Mayne-Nicholls’ plan would be a boon for US television viewers, but would it sit well with the players?
Oct 21, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
‘Twas an easy decision for the awards-givers this week, as Sergio Aguero struck not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0