May 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
If there’s any question about whether Jurgen Klinsmann is a modern-day coach, surely breaking news on Twitter closes the case – even if the “news” in question doesn’t rise to “stop the presses!” level.
The U.S. boss was, in fact, somewhat enlightening during a Twitter Q&A with U.S. fans on Tuesday.
Some of the “news” included:
- The upcoming camp roster will be announced in two parts.
- The first stage will drop on May 15, which happens to be the same day camp begins in Orlando. This initial group will be players based in Europe.
- I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman this afternoon; looks like this U.S. Soccer practice of announcing rosters the same day players show up will be a recurring bit. The U.S. under-23s did the same as they showed up in Nashville for Olympic qualifying.
- The rest of the roster will be announced May 20 as players report in from MLS clubs. The extra days for MLS men gives them one additional match with their clubs – something the teams surely appreciate. Most European-based men, by contrast, will be done this weekend and begin filtering into Orlando immediately.
- The initial camp roster will be 29 men. That’s something new; Klinsmann said a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep this camp manageable and on the smaller side.
- That said, the camp will, in fact, be reduced to 23 men on May 25, the day Orlando camp breaks and they get on a bus bound for Jacksonville, site of the first of five May-June matches.
- The “feel” of the camp will be similar to a tournament. That is, the pacing and the roster usage will resemble a five-game stretch over a month’s time frame.
- This camp and the games ahead are all about results, as the coach as stressed before.
- This will not be a roster with a lot of “experimenting” in terms of personnel being called in. That’s what the last nine months have been about.
- On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one name on the list that has yet to be seen in a Klinsmann camp. Just a hunch.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
A winger, Veron scored eight times in 52 appearances for Argentine power San Lorenzo.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Full marks to the Sounders for not pointing out that Portland has a player named Peay.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
L’Equipe says FMF representatives met with Bielsa’s people on Tuesday morning and France, and that Bielsa is interested.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
The “end of the year” promise could be the real deal, but the nation has certainly taken its time.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
The transfer window hasn’t closed, but a lot of the names who’ve climbed through it have us salivating for Saturday’s start to the Premier League season.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
Keeping Bale and Benzema around will keep Madrid among the favorites for the UEFA Champions League, as the giants search for Undecima.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
Picking a group of five defenders is way more difficult than selecting the best goalkeepers in the league.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
McInerney, however, has disappointed in recent seasons. Perhaps a change in leader, albeit for the second time, will help.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
At Roma, Dzeko will join a loaded attack which includes Mattia Destro, Victor Ibarbo and Seydou Doumbia, as well as Francesco Totti.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Ever wonder where the games you’re watching on TV are taking place? Here’s a guide to help you out.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
D.C. United, LA Galaxy, RSL, Vancouver and Seattle fly the MLS flag as they look to break Liga MX’s stronghold.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
This coin toss is a really, really big deal for the four teams left in the competition.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Should a PL giant hand Zlatan a chance to strut his stuff in England’s top-flight?
Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the PL.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Blues boss hugely complimentary of the PL’s other big boys heading into the new season.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3