May 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
If there’s any question about whether Jurgen Klinsmann is a modern-day coach, surely breaking news on Twitter closes the case – even if the “news” in question doesn’t rise to “stop the presses!” level.
The U.S. boss was, in fact, somewhat enlightening during a Twitter Q&A with U.S. fans on Tuesday.
Some of the “news” included:
- The upcoming camp roster will be announced in two parts.
- The first stage will drop on May 15, which happens to be the same day camp begins in Orlando. This initial group will be players based in Europe.
- I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman this afternoon; looks like this U.S. Soccer practice of announcing rosters the same day players show up will be a recurring bit. The U.S. under-23s did the same as they showed up in Nashville for Olympic qualifying.
- The rest of the roster will be announced May 20 as players report in from MLS clubs. The extra days for MLS men gives them one additional match with their clubs – something the teams surely appreciate. Most European-based men, by contrast, will be done this weekend and begin filtering into Orlando immediately.
- The initial camp roster will be 29 men. That’s something new; Klinsmann said a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep this camp manageable and on the smaller side.
- That said, the camp will, in fact, be reduced to 23 men on May 25, the day Orlando camp breaks and they get on a bus bound for Jacksonville, site of the first of five May-June matches.
- The “feel” of the camp will be similar to a tournament. That is, the pacing and the roster usage will resemble a five-game stretch over a month’s time frame.
- This camp and the games ahead are all about results, as the coach as stressed before.
- This will not be a roster with a lot of “experimenting” in terms of personnel being called in. That’s what the last nine months have been about.
- On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one name on the list that has yet to be seen in a Klinsmann camp. Just a hunch.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
How has the soccer world (via Twitter) responded to the news? With a mixture of interest and humor.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
In what will be called “Los Angeles Football Club” as it goes through its branding, MLS has announced that L.A. has officially been awarded another team.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
So who do you have tonight: the Red Bulls or the champs?
Oct 30, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Mike Prindiville and Joe Prince-Wright join Jenna Corrado to discuss the Manchester Derby between Manchester United and Manchester City.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
Like Steve McQueen in “Papillon,” only nattily-attired, the Newcastle United manager just seems to be constantly yelling out, “Hey… I’m still here.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
He’s being linked with Swansea City, though club chairman Huw Jenkins said while the club is entertaining investors, any specific names would be “pure speculation.”
Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The proposed moves would leave only 10 days prep time before the World Cup began, and would also alter the UEFA Champions League schedule.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
What do you think? Mean-spirited to the public or just a decent Candid Camera-style prank?
Oct 30, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
“I’ve got 30 and 34-year-olds in my locker room in tears because we feel it’s been unfairly taken away from us,” said coach Carl Robinson.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
And it’s claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will sign a veteran back from Juventus, bucking his trends of signing attackers and youth.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
PSS Sleman and PSIS Semarang have been disqualified from their country’s playoffs after conceding five own goals in their their match.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
Michel converted the penalty past David Ousted, and FC Dallas hung on for the win in an otherwise fast-paced, fun game in Texas.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Carlos Vela is set to return to the Mexican National Team making them a much more dangerous side.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Nothing like a behind-the-scenes World Cup doc to pique the interest.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Vincent Tan. Coming to a MLS club near you!
Oct 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Steve Zakuani. A supremely talented player, forced to call it quits way too early.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Franck Ribery is short but probably not the kind of guy you want to mess with.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
A late equalizer from Mario Balotelli helps spur the rally that sees Liverpool into the League Cup quarter-finals.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Add another Arsenal attacker to the roster.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Beware, Premier League footballers. The FA is all over Twitter.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 0
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 6
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 2