May 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
If there’s any question about whether Jurgen Klinsmann is a modern-day coach, surely breaking news on Twitter closes the case – even if the “news” in question doesn’t rise to “stop the presses!” level.
The U.S. boss was, in fact, somewhat enlightening during a Twitter Q&A with U.S. fans on Tuesday.
Some of the “news” included:
- The upcoming camp roster will be announced in two parts.
- The first stage will drop on May 15, which happens to be the same day camp begins in Orlando. This initial group will be players based in Europe.
- I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman this afternoon; looks like this U.S. Soccer practice of announcing rosters the same day players show up will be a recurring bit. The U.S. under-23s did the same as they showed up in Nashville for Olympic qualifying.
- The rest of the roster will be announced May 20 as players report in from MLS clubs. The extra days for MLS men gives them one additional match with their clubs – something the teams surely appreciate. Most European-based men, by contrast, will be done this weekend and begin filtering into Orlando immediately.
- The initial camp roster will be 29 men. That’s something new; Klinsmann said a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep this camp manageable and on the smaller side.
- That said, the camp will, in fact, be reduced to 23 men on May 25, the day Orlando camp breaks and they get on a bus bound for Jacksonville, site of the first of five May-June matches.
- The “feel” of the camp will be similar to a tournament. That is, the pacing and the roster usage will resemble a five-game stretch over a month’s time frame.
- This camp and the games ahead are all about results, as the coach as stressed before.
- This will not be a roster with a lot of “experimenting” in terms of personnel being called in. That’s what the last nine months have been about.
- On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one name on the list that has yet to be seen in a Klinsmann camp. Just a hunch.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Two goals, one assist in a 3-0 victory over your club’s most hated rivals — more than enough to win POTW honors.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Two Bradleys, two from Crew SC and two from the Dynamo — the latest MLS Team of the Week.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Yes, rumors know no season, but the transfer mill will churn out a lot less gossip after Tuesday’s end of the summer transfer season.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Manchester United and Real Madrid have swapped goalkeepers, with the Premier League side landing a load of dough, too.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
The UEFA Champions League clubs don’t find themselves well-represented in the Premier League Team of the Week after a weekend of shocks around Britain.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
We’re still waiting to see whether Javier Hernandez seals his move to Bayer Leverkusen. “Chicharito” has been spotted around Bayer HQ.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The Black Panther is doing more than simply prowling; He is finishing his chances with style.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
The 2006 World Cup champion will organize Miami FC for co-owner Paolo Maldini during the club’s first season in the NASL.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look back at the PL weekend.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
It looks like we’re headed for a bonkers Transfer Deadline Day on Tuesday, and a trio of Premier League teams might be doing some under-the-radar business on Monday.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
With the transfer deadline approaching its Tuesday conclusion, deals and rumored deals are hitting the headlines at a head-spinning rate.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
This Little Pea went to market, reportedly finding a new home in the Bundesliga (And did he really ask for $135k per goal from West Ham?).
Aug 31, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
The French federation says Martial was given permission to leave camp by Didier Deschamps, and that he’ll sign a contract with United.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
A complete performance from the Red Bulls, who will finish the season unbeaten against their Atlantic Cup rivals.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Find out what moves have been completed with the transfer deadline approaching, as Wolfsburg made three big deals today.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
More than 64,000 supporters packed CenturyLink Field as the Sounders downed the Timbers in a Cascadia Cup clash.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
The French winger has played for Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, and now Bayern Munich. All before his 20th birthday.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard and Geoff Cameron are back in the squad, while the relatively unknown Andrew Wooten gets his first call-up.
Aug 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
In a managerial battle between the young Garry Monk and the veteran Louis van Gaal, the kid came out on top.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2