May 8, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
If there’s any question about whether Jurgen Klinsmann is a modern-day coach, surely breaking news on Twitter closes the case – even if the “news” in question doesn’t rise to “stop the presses!” level.
The U.S. boss was, in fact, somewhat enlightening during a Twitter Q&A with U.S. fans on Tuesday.
Some of the “news” included:
- The upcoming camp roster will be announced in two parts.
- The first stage will drop on May 15, which happens to be the same day camp begins in Orlando. This initial group will be players based in Europe.
- I talked to a U.S. Soccer spokesman this afternoon; looks like this U.S. Soccer practice of announcing rosters the same day players show up will be a recurring bit. The U.S. under-23s did the same as they showed up in Nashville for Olympic qualifying.
- The rest of the roster will be announced May 20 as players report in from MLS clubs. The extra days for MLS men gives them one additional match with their clubs – something the teams surely appreciate. Most European-based men, by contrast, will be done this weekend and begin filtering into Orlando immediately.
- The initial camp roster will be 29 men. That’s something new; Klinsmann said a few weeks ago that he wanted to keep this camp manageable and on the smaller side.
- That said, the camp will, in fact, be reduced to 23 men on May 25, the day Orlando camp breaks and they get on a bus bound for Jacksonville, site of the first of five May-June matches.
- The “feel” of the camp will be similar to a tournament. That is, the pacing and the roster usage will resemble a five-game stretch over a month’s time frame.
- This camp and the games ahead are all about results, as the coach as stressed before.
- This will not be a roster with a lot of “experimenting” in terms of personnel being called in. That’s what the last nine months have been about.
- On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one name on the list that has yet to be seen in a Klinsmann camp. Just a hunch.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 35-year-old is taking a step back, making himself unavailable for selection until Sept. 2015.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
LMA statement: “These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Exciting attacker arrives at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 0
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3