May 8, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
12. FC Dallas – Daniel Hernandez apologized for his pair of yellows. Blas Perez’s red, which left Dallas two men down for almost an hour? No one around the Texans’ ground was apologizing for that one. Said manager Schellas Hyndman: “I did see it as a 50/50 play, and I don’t think there was anything intentional. It was simply two players going for the ball and it is what it is.”
11. Montréal Impact – You’ve got to hand it to Impact manager Jesse Marsch. Going into Livestrong Sporting Park was tough enough; having the confidence to dip into the roster and hand some new faces a chance in a busy week, that was something else. It paid handsomely in 2-0 upset over previously top-ranked Sporting Kansas City. Let’s hear about it, coach: “There’s a lot of confidence in our group and we know that we have a lot of options. It makes my job a little bit tougher to figure who to put out on the field at different moments but I’m also very proud of our group for everyone really staying focused on what we’re trying to do here”.
10. Chicago Fire – Chicago moves up a spot after a quality win, even if it took some late heroics from Marco Pappa to give the Fire all three points at Chivas USA. Chicago manager Frank Klopas watched from a luxury suite while serving a one-game suspension. But he didn’t need a field-level view to appreciate Pappa’s late game-winner: “It took a special player to make a special play at the end,” he said.
9. Colorado Rapids – Omar Cummings’ ankle injury just plain stinks, especially when the formerly feared and well-balanced Cummings-Conor Casey strike combo was about to join forces again. Casey is getting closer to his first start of 2012, at least. Here’s how he summed up Sunday’s 2-0 win over nine-man Dallas: “We caught a break, but we also took advantage.”
8. New York Red Bulls – The team barely (barely!) hung on at home against New England two weeks ago. But what the team accomplished in a 1-0 weekend win at L.A. was hardly “hanging on.” And manager Hans Backe was giving full credit: “The whole team just worked their ass off. Normally when you have so many starters out you are forced to defend and they did in phenomenally. It was a definite team effort. They were under pressure but didn’t allow them a real opportunity, a lot of crosses and half chances, and Ryan once again was phenomenal.”
7. Houston Dynamo – It’s all about the new digs ahead of Saturday’s grand opening of BBVA Compass Stadium. Dynamo president Chris Canetti: “I’m a New York Yankees fan and I have spent many days at Yankee Stadium, and no one’s better than the Yankees at making their stadium a shrine for tradition and history. That was my vision for this stadium. This place tells a story about our club and brand and those pillars are a representation of that.”
Oct 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Gerrard: “I thought we were too soft all over the pitch. I thought they wanted it more, which is very disappointing.”
Oct 2, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
The PST Extra crew sit down to discuss Rooney’s red card and break down Chelsea vs. Arsenal.
Oct 2, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Will “the Dutch Roy Keane” end up at Old Trafford after all?
Oct 2, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Vegas stadium deal moves one step closer to fruition but a rather large stumbling block has emerged.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Messi continues to be linked with Europe’s richest clubs. Barca have something to say about that…
Oct 2, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Garber: “Both the owner and management team in Austria and New York are as committed as ever to MLS, the club and their fans.”
Oct 2, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
Clyne gets first call up; Shelvey, Gibbs back in, while Shaw, Chambers help U-21’s out.
Oct 2, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Uruguayan forward reportedly unhappy at PSG, but can a PL club afford him?
Oct 1, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
To expect a walk-through against Krasnodar would be a mistake and one the Toffees could pay dearly for.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
It’s been a rough go of it lately for Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Who’s more interesting than Jurgen Klopp?
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Alves is ready to move to the Premier League. So what clubs might he fit in?
Oct 1, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
A great deal for the Revs, who will be able to add Sporting players on loan much like NYCFC can add Manchester City players.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Maradona pledged his support for the Palestinian cause back in 2012.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 1
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 1
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 3
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6