May 8, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
12. FC Dallas – Daniel Hernandez apologized for his pair of yellows. Blas Perez’s red, which left Dallas two men down for almost an hour? No one around the Texans’ ground was apologizing for that one. Said manager Schellas Hyndman: “I did see it as a 50/50 play, and I don’t think there was anything intentional. It was simply two players going for the ball and it is what it is.”
11. Montréal Impact – You’ve got to hand it to Impact manager Jesse Marsch. Going into Livestrong Sporting Park was tough enough; having the confidence to dip into the roster and hand some new faces a chance in a busy week, that was something else. It paid handsomely in 2-0 upset over previously top-ranked Sporting Kansas City. Let’s hear about it, coach: “There’s a lot of confidence in our group and we know that we have a lot of options. It makes my job a little bit tougher to figure who to put out on the field at different moments but I’m also very proud of our group for everyone really staying focused on what we’re trying to do here”.
10. Chicago Fire – Chicago moves up a spot after a quality win, even if it took some late heroics from Marco Pappa to give the Fire all three points at Chivas USA. Chicago manager Frank Klopas watched from a luxury suite while serving a one-game suspension. But he didn’t need a field-level view to appreciate Pappa’s late game-winner: “It took a special player to make a special play at the end,” he said.
9. Colorado Rapids – Omar Cummings’ ankle injury just plain stinks, especially when the formerly feared and well-balanced Cummings-Conor Casey strike combo was about to join forces again. Casey is getting closer to his first start of 2012, at least. Here’s how he summed up Sunday’s 2-0 win over nine-man Dallas: “We caught a break, but we also took advantage.”
8. New York Red Bulls – The team barely (barely!) hung on at home against New England two weeks ago. But what the team accomplished in a 1-0 weekend win at L.A. was hardly “hanging on.” And manager Hans Backe was giving full credit: “The whole team just worked their ass off. Normally when you have so many starters out you are forced to defend and they did in phenomenally. It was a definite team effort. They were under pressure but didn’t allow them a real opportunity, a lot of crosses and half chances, and Ryan once again was phenomenal.”
7. Houston Dynamo – It’s all about the new digs ahead of Saturday’s grand opening of BBVA Compass Stadium. Dynamo president Chris Canetti: “I’m a New York Yankees fan and I have spent many days at Yankee Stadium, and no one’s better than the Yankees at making their stadium a shrine for tradition and history. That was my vision for this stadium. This place tells a story about our club and brand and those pillars are a representation of that.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
After selling over $175 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?
Jul 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Boyd out after injury in Queens Park Rangers friendly.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
He may be one of the best soccer players the planet has ever seen, but Messi is not above the law.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Arsenal splash the cash to sign 19-year-old Southampton academy graduate.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Did Remy fail a medical at Liverpool? ‘Arry isn’t buying it.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Clegg, Downing Street, discuss Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
If you use the hashtag #AskJesus, expect to get results like this.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Atletico add Griezmann to partner Mandzukic in new-look attack.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
Arsenal may be taking a “gamble” but it certainly paid off the last two times they bought teenagers from Southampton.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
This may not be as toast as it first appeared.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
AC Milan got hosed, but Mario Balotelli had some fun as a second-half substitute.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It may have been in jest, but Roberto Martinez has set rumors alight.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Lovern becomes the third Southampton player to move to Liverpool this summer.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
AC Milan got thumped for the second straight US preseason friendly. What does it mean?
Jul 27, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Having played under Redknapp for 2 years at Spurs, the QPR boss wants him back.
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 0
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5