May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. “It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Mar 2, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
John Terry knows he’s fighting every year for a new contract at Chelsea, and it’s inspired the best form of his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Chicago has only made the playoffs once in the past five seasons, but with some big offseason signings, the Fire could cause problems in the East.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 PM EST
Sherwood’s putting all his eggs into Tuesday night’s derby basket, for better or for worse.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
The title race was minutes from being OVER; it’s still probably over. Tevez’s goal was an absolute beauty.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Last season’s worst team in the West has a new stadium and high hopes for 2015.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:21 PM EST
Jerseys, jerseys, jerseys! More new jerseys!
Mar 2, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Where and how to watch every single PL game on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
The 23-year-old German defender was attempting to win a loose ball, and instead struck a strong ball past his keeper.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
After finishing with the fewest points in MLS last season, the only way to go is up for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Why wait for the season that might not happen, when we’ve got all the answers for you right now?
Mar 2, 2015, 2:14 PM EST
The captain has been out since Feb. 10, while Ibe was hurt in last week’s Europa League dismissal by Besiktas.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Bocanegra will work with MLS Atlanta president Darren Eales, who has worked with Premier League clubs West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham Hotspur.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EST
The Daily Mail had reported that three cops cars stormed a Premier Leaguer’s apartment earlier Monday to make the arrest.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:22 PM EST
KC only has two Designated Players — Matt Besler and Zusi — and RVDV would be a nice match provided the money works for both parties.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
The Lions will roar into MLS after several successful seasons in the third-tier. How will Orlando fare in 2015?
Mar 2, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Hull takes on Sunderland, Bruce’s old club, on Tuesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer take a look back at Week 27 in the Premier League.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Chelsea fans on a train from London to Manchester have been accused of more racist behavior following the club’s 2-0 League Cup final win over Tottenham on Sunday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:23 AM EST
Barring a catastrophic run of injuries, Chelsea looks set for a double, but the treble will take all of Mourinho’s managerial magic and likely some luck.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Can NYCFC capture the hearts and minds of soccer fans in the Big Apple? Here’s a look at how things are shaping up for their inaugural season in MLS.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0