May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. ”It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"