May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. “It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.”
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Free agent Valdes arrives to “train with the first team” at United.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 0
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 6
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 4
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0