May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. ”It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers