May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. “It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Mar 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Who’s on top of Groups D, F and I at the halfway point?
Mar 29, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Luis Suarez was candid as ever after Gerrard’s charity match, and he opened up the possibility of a Premier League return down the road.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Thierry Henry showed off his sparkling passing skills at Steven Gerrard’s testimonial.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT
The United States loses one of their goalscorers from Friday’s friendly, but now it’s a youngster’s turn to make a statement.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
A whopping turnaround, led by owner Katharina Liebherr, has taken place at St. Mary’s and the financial evidence is there.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
If Adnan Januzaj wants to make a return to the Belgium squad, he must focus on earning playing time at his club first.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
An agreement has reportedly been reached between the current American owner and a domestic ownership group.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:34 AM EDT
Gareth Bale knows what people are saying about his recent play at Real Madrid, but he’s not listening.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Catch up on all the action from Week 4 of the MLS season.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT
A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT
The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 2
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1