May 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
6. Vancouver Whitecaps – Manager Martin Rennie, after watching his team push and push and finally get the stoppage time game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 result over a quality San Jose team. “To get the win the way we did, I just think it shows what the club is starting to become. It’s a club that believes it can win, even at the last minute, even in stoppage time, and they keep going and have that belief.”
5. Real Salt Lake – RSL was down a man more than 20 minutes, but did the business and closed out a 2-1 win over New England. Says captain Kyle Beckerman: “We knew what we had to do – just sit in, stay disciplined, and counter. We were close to getting that decider at ease. We just stayed in there. Nick made some great saves, and we were able to pull it off. It was a crazy game.”
4. Sporting Kansas City – Two losses in a row, including one at home to expansion Montreal? What’s up with that, Michael Harrington? “Montreal kind of had a makeshift team tonight and maybe we took them a little lightly with our mentality, but I hope everybody realizes that and comes out next week ready to bring their best. That’s what it takes to win.”
3. D.C. United – A bit of a mixed bag last week, giving up five in San Jose (a 5-3 loss) but then rebounding with a solid 2-0 win at Toronto. Goalkeeper Bill Hamid, making his first start since returning from Olympic team duty, loved what he say from the rear guard during the win in Canada. “Every last player was first class. It was a makeshift back line because this is a tough stretch of games, but we have faith in every single player on this team.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – The boys from the Bay came ever so close to seeing out a special week. First came a demonstrative five-goal night against D.C. United. As a Round 9 encore the ‘Quakes were attempting to nurse home a 1-1 draw at Vancouver before conceding the late game-winner. Manager Frank Yallop: “To be honest, I think we ran out of gas today. We played a tough game at home against D.C. on Wednesday. We were spent emotionally and physically.”
1. Seattle Sounders – Sigi Schmid’s Sounders are rolling, undefeated in five with only one goal allowed in that time. Last week saw shutout wins over Los Angeles and Philadelphia. By the way, that was a rookie, debuting starter between the pipes at CenturyLink on Saturday. He was a second-half replacement against Los Angeles, but needed to go all 90 against Philly. “It’s more time to think about it and prepare, but again, I wasn’t really too nervous,” he said. “It was a relatively easy game for me. The back four really didn’t allow much through and I don’t think I saw any shots on target. I think it was a good way to start my first game.”
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bobby Zamora has returned to his old club 12 years after leaving, and Brighton fans couldn’t be more excited.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Gonzalo Higuain won’t be leaving Napoli this summer, but he’s not impressed by the club’s feeble attempt at a contract extension.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
A massive blow to Juventus puts them on alert for midfield cover.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Liverpool has spent big for the second straight summer, but it appears the Reds may have learned a valuable lesson.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Rafael’s rocky seven-year tenure with Manchester United is over as he heads to France.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Forwards both left off Real’s Audi Cup squad after training ground injuries.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
All of the latest gossip from around the PL, right here.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Wenger and Mourinho’s feud continues, but should both manager’s bite the bullet and make up?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
PSG’s skipper Silva is risking the wrath of United’s fans around the globe.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Real Madrid superstar is a baller on and off the pitch.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
Eagles sign young English striker from Black Cats.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Costa remains a huge injury worry for Chelsea heading into the new season.
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5