May 8, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
When the Montreal Canadiens appointed Randy Cunneyworth interim head coach last season, Quebec media exploded with incredulity after finding out a new face of the province’s flagship franchise didn’t speak the language.
Randy ne parle pas francais. (Neither do I.)
Impact head coach Jesse Marsch doesn’t really speak French either, but he’s working on it. In the video below, we see how far the Wisconsin-born former U.S. international’s come with Quebec’s native tongue, his assimilation effort apparently appreciated by the club’s fans.
His French isn’t great, but it’s an admirable start. More importantly, it’s an admirable attitude. I’m only slightly younger than Marsch and am losing what little I used to know of my second language. Now he’s having to pick up a completely new one? Makes me feel self-conscious for not having better command of English.
Presumably, communication with his team is not the goal here. This is a fan-centic effort. It’s a community-centric effort. While you’d like to think all coaches are as conscious of the ancillary responsibilities of their job (their role as a spokesperson to the team’s fan base), they’re usually not.
In the attitude he’s conveying, Marsch’s effort seems more then mere obligation. That kind of stuff goes a long way.
(gotta H/T on this one to Joe Prince-Wright at MLSSoccer.com)
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public