May 9, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The headline out of Bolton’s daily says U.S. international Stuart Holden has pledged his allegiance to Bolton FC.
And if we’re honest, that seems like the stand-up thing to do. After all, Holden has missed the full year (minus one brief appearance) through injury. Wanderers continue to pay his salary through all this, of course.
So to see Holden remain at the Reebok, “come what may,” as the headline over the story suggests, would endear the U.S. midfielder to Bolton faithful, for sure.
But “come what may” is a storm – and a mighty one. Bolton could be relegated this weekend as Premiership play closes. That will mean major player movement. Even Holden says in their piece that Premiership soccer is the target for which everyone aims.
Well, I’ve read the piece twice now. And perhaps the headline writer is reading something that I’m not. But I cannot read this piece and find where he, the man himself, says, “I’m staying.”
Closest I can find to something like that from Holden: “But I am happy at Bolton Wanderers and I know that this is the right place for me.”
Perhaps you see something I can’t.
I’m not saying the man is going anywhere; I’m just saying these words, in particular, don’t tell me so with any certainty.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 5
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 17
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional