May 10, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
In advance of the festivities in Houston this weekend, PST friend Matthew Doyle takes a look at some of the best stadium debuts. He highlights BMO Field, JEN-WELD Field, and LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. All good choices, but I’ll take the opening of Red Bull Arena.
March 20, 2010. The joint was packed. There were fireworks and dancers. A race car drove on the field to deliver the game ball. Reggie Bush skied a PK into the stands.
And then the game started. Joel Lindpere scored. Mike Petke (Mike Petke!) scored. Dane Richards scored (on a blast). Santos played a ready and willing adversary, running up and down the field.
A week later, the Red Bull defeated Chicago 1-0 in the stadium’s MLS debut. They would win the next two at RBA before falling apart.
But that first game was really something special. A video of the events below. Enjoy. (There are many more videos here.)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final