May 10, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT
Milan defender Alessandro Nesta called a press conference today In Italy to more or less say what he has already said.
But since he went to all the trouble, we may as well link to the story, where Nesta says he is leaving the San Siro. And he reiterated Major League Soccer is an option.
New York was among the destinations previously mentioned, and the Italian great could certainly help fortify Hans Backe’s back line at Red Bull Arena. You may remember that we’ve already put a stamp of approval on that one.
At 36, Nesta can still deliver – just not as often. And since Milan remains one of Europe’s best clubs, that is no longer an ideal match.
“The high pace of the Italian league, the Champions League and the Italian Cup means that I can’t play all the time,” he said today. “And I’m not one to sit and wait on the bench.”
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games