May 10, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
The weekend’s marquee games include New York traveling to Philly and the opening of the beautiful stadium in Houston. But there is plenty of other action that won’t get as much chatter. Overlooked and Underloved is a weekly attempt to convince the world to check out one of these tilts.
First up: The Vancouver Whitecaps traveling to New England to take on the Revolution.
Why? Well, let’s count the reasons:
- The Revs are 2-1 in the (un)friendly confines of Gillette Stadium, while the ‘Caps are 2-1-1 on the road. Clash of the titans.
- The Whitecaps, winners of 3 straight, are one of the hottest teams in the league, but they need 3 points to stay in touch with the Western Conference’s top 3. (Bonus: 1 more win will match their total from last season.)
- Anything can happen when Eric Hassli and Sebastien Le Toux are on the field. A-ny-thing. And Darren Mattocks is back from his freak cooking accident.
- Fernando Cardenas is a free man. No red card for him. Stick it to the man, New England.
- Matt Reis going for win 101.
And finally, a general life rule: Everything is better when Jay DeMerit is involved.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 1
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public