May 11, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
I don’t expect a hard news element from Don Garber’s time with the media today, but you never know. Consider this a “heads up.”
Major League Soccer’s commissioner will address soccer friendly members of the chattering class today at 1:45 p.m. at BBVA Compass Stadium.
I expect that he’ll talk about stadiums as his league’s critical growth component. I’ve already worked up some notes for him in the previous post.
I would imagine the Commish will be asked about the other key element of league evolution: expansion beyond the current 19 clubs. But, again, hard news probably isn’t going to fall. If so, it would swindle some of the spotlight from the dazzling star of this show, the 22,000-seat beauty, the current talk of Houston sports.
Here’s the current list of facilities built or re-developed for MLS clubs, with capacity and the year opened. While you study it, I’ll be on my way to Houston, where most of the important MLS movers and shakers will gather for two days of pomp and stuff ahead of tomorrow’s match (Dynamo vs. D.C. United, 4:30 p.m., NBC Sports Network.)
- Crew Stadium Columbus 20,145 1999
- Home Depot Center LA Galaxy 27,000 2003
- FC Dallas Stadium Dallas 20,500 2005
- Toyota Park Chicago 20,000 2006
- DSG Park Colorado 18,000 2007
- BMO Field Toronto 20,000 2007
- Rio Tinto Stadium Real Salt Lake 20,200 2008
- PPL Park Philadelphia 18,500 2010
- Red Bull Arena New York 25,000 2010
- Jeld-Wen Field* Portland 20,400 2011
- Livestrong Sporting Kansas City 18,400 2011
- BC Place* Vancouver 21,000 2012
- BBVA Compass Houston 22,000 2012
- Stade Saputo** Montreal 20,300 2012
*Renovated rather than built
** Opening in June
Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Short written and video recap of Sunday’s games.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0