May 12, 2012, 8:47 AM EDT
If any man deserves a day off, it’s Clint Dempsey. He’s getting one – which may be deserved but also might be a bit disappointing.
It would be fitting if the best season yet for any American player abroad got a proper sending off.
The U.S. international will not be in Martin Jol’s lineup for tomorrow’s Survival Sunday English Premier League final. Fulham travels across town to meet Tottenham, but Dempsey has a bit of a groin strain and will sit out the match.
He may even be inbound to the States; players begin gathering Sunday in Florida for Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team camp ahead of three high-profile friendlies and the nation’s first two World Cup qualifiers.
So Dempsey’s sensational season has come to a close, apparently, but what a campaign it was. The Texan hit for 23 goals across all competitions and 17 in league play. His now has 50 Premier League goals, far and away the best for any American.
Dempsey’s fourth place finish in voting for Football Writers Association Player of the Year was the cherry on the sundae, of course.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 20
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (22)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination