May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: The only blemish of Donovan Ricketts‘ day was a David Beckham free kick, though he isn’t the first to be beaten by that type of effort. While Ricketts’ inability to get to that ball might be immortalized in Beckham’s highlight reel, Montreal’s goalkeeper forged a one-game highlight reel of his own, making three spectacular stops in the first 15 minutes of the second half to keep Montreal in the game.
Packaged for takeaway:
- And Montreal barely staying in this one. Although the Impact were better in the first half, they were dominated in the second. You can’t help but think they would have broken if Los Angeles had some way to meaningfully change up their attack.
- David Beckham’s numbers speak to that lack of variation. He led the game in successful passed (63) but was also, by far, its leader in unsuccessful passes (31). A big part of that: Only four of his 15 attempted crosses were successful. He also lost possession another 33 times, a number that speaks not only to his place in LA’s plans but also their need to find somebody else that can help promote play.
- On both sides of halftime, we saw (more) striking examples of how much Los Angeles misses Omar Gonzalez. On Montreal’s goal, A.J. De La Garza misjudged a long ball while Dan Keat, probably assuming De La Garza would at least put in a challenge for the ball, let Davy Arnaud get behind him. Late in the game when LA was forcing corner after corner, they missed their most dangerous set piece option.
- This was, however, and improvement for the Galaxy. Though their first half was somewhat poor, over the course of 90 minutes, they didn’t look pathetic. They also responding in the second half in the face of what would have been another embarrassing result. The team is highly flawed, but today, they managed to look minimally capable.
- Of course, now there’s a danger LA starts to make strides just as U.S. World Cup qualifying starts, Robbie Keane leaves for Euro 2012, and David Beckham gets called away to Team GB. Even if LA finds a solution soon, they’ll need another one in a few weeks.
- For Montreal, it was a decent point in front of a huge crowd (over 60,000). They still offer very little in attack, but the core of a good defense is in place, particularly with a Nelson Rivas-Matteo Ferrari pairing playing between Ricketts and a midfield of Felipe Martins and Collen Warner. It’s a group that will buy Jesse Marsch time to work out his team’s attacking issues.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0