May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: The only blemish of Donovan Ricketts‘ day was a David Beckham free kick, though he isn’t the first to be beaten by that type of effort. While Ricketts’ inability to get to that ball might be immortalized in Beckham’s highlight reel, Montreal’s goalkeeper forged a one-game highlight reel of his own, making three spectacular stops in the first 15 minutes of the second half to keep Montreal in the game.
Packaged for takeaway:
- And Montreal barely staying in this one. Although the Impact were better in the first half, they were dominated in the second. You can’t help but think they would have broken if Los Angeles had some way to meaningfully change up their attack.
- David Beckham’s numbers speak to that lack of variation. He led the game in successful passed (63) but was also, by far, its leader in unsuccessful passes (31). A big part of that: Only four of his 15 attempted crosses were successful. He also lost possession another 33 times, a number that speaks not only to his place in LA’s plans but also their need to find somebody else that can help promote play.
- On both sides of halftime, we saw (more) striking examples of how much Los Angeles misses Omar Gonzalez. On Montreal’s goal, A.J. De La Garza misjudged a long ball while Dan Keat, probably assuming De La Garza would at least put in a challenge for the ball, let Davy Arnaud get behind him. Late in the game when LA was forcing corner after corner, they missed their most dangerous set piece option.
- This was, however, and improvement for the Galaxy. Though their first half was somewhat poor, over the course of 90 minutes, they didn’t look pathetic. They also responding in the second half in the face of what would have been another embarrassing result. The team is highly flawed, but today, they managed to look minimally capable.
- Of course, now there’s a danger LA starts to make strides just as U.S. World Cup qualifying starts, Robbie Keane leaves for Euro 2012, and David Beckham gets called away to Team GB. Even if LA finds a solution soon, they’ll need another one in a few weeks.
- For Montreal, it was a decent point in front of a huge crowd (over 60,000). They still offer very little in attack, but the core of a good defense is in place, particularly with a Nelson Rivas-Matteo Ferrari pairing playing between Ricketts and a midfield of Felipe Martins and Collen Warner. It’s a group that will buy Jesse Marsch time to work out his team’s attacking issues.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Business up front. Defense in the rear.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
L.A. Galaxy Insider report also speculates that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could take a Designated Player spot in Major League Soccer if he leaves Old Trafford.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
“It’s obviously a shame he’s not here, but Liverpool is a club that’s bigger as any individual,” Rodgers said from Fenway Park.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
There have been reports of where the 32-year-old American left sider will not be going, but little as to where he will.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
For every “stars… they’re just like us” moment a player gives you, there are moments like this, which will not happen to 99.9999% of us at work in our lives
Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Xavi set to remain at Barcelona until January, at least.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Yeah. This is actually happened… as Stoke pull off a major coup.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Guardiola: “He trains well, he’s a good guy and my first idea is that he’s going to stay for the rest of the season.”
Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Will Lovren become the third Saints player to join Liverpool this summer? If the price is right, it sure looks that way.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Where will Rodriguez line up next season for Real? Here’s an in-depth look at the options.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3