May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: The only blemish of Donovan Ricketts‘ day was a David Beckham free kick, though he isn’t the first to be beaten by that type of effort. While Ricketts’ inability to get to that ball might be immortalized in Beckham’s highlight reel, Montreal’s goalkeeper forged a one-game highlight reel of his own, making three spectacular stops in the first 15 minutes of the second half to keep Montreal in the game.
Packaged for takeaway:
- And Montreal barely staying in this one. Although the Impact were better in the first half, they were dominated in the second. You can’t help but think they would have broken if Los Angeles had some way to meaningfully change up their attack.
- David Beckham’s numbers speak to that lack of variation. He led the game in successful passed (63) but was also, by far, its leader in unsuccessful passes (31). A big part of that: Only four of his 15 attempted crosses were successful. He also lost possession another 33 times, a number that speaks not only to his place in LA’s plans but also their need to find somebody else that can help promote play.
- On both sides of halftime, we saw (more) striking examples of how much Los Angeles misses Omar Gonzalez. On Montreal’s goal, A.J. De La Garza misjudged a long ball while Dan Keat, probably assuming De La Garza would at least put in a challenge for the ball, let Davy Arnaud get behind him. Late in the game when LA was forcing corner after corner, they missed their most dangerous set piece option.
- This was, however, and improvement for the Galaxy. Though their first half was somewhat poor, over the course of 90 minutes, they didn’t look pathetic. They also responding in the second half in the face of what would have been another embarrassing result. The team is highly flawed, but today, they managed to look minimally capable.
- Of course, now there’s a danger LA starts to make strides just as U.S. World Cup qualifying starts, Robbie Keane leaves for Euro 2012, and David Beckham gets called away to Team GB. Even if LA finds a solution soon, they’ll need another one in a few weeks.
- For Montreal, it was a decent point in front of a huge crowd (over 60,000). They still offer very little in attack, but the core of a good defense is in place, particularly with a Nelson Rivas-Matteo Ferrari pairing playing between Ricketts and a midfield of Felipe Martins and Collen Warner. It’s a group that will buy Jesse Marsch time to work out his team’s attacking issues.
May 24, 2015, 12:29 AM EDT
In case you’d forgotten since last Saturday night, none of us know anything about MLS.
May 24, 2015, 12:10 AM EDT
To grind out a point in Sporting KC’s current predicament is impressive, but the Sounders were very, very poor.
May 23, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Last-place beats 1st-place — in other words, just another typical night in MLS!
May 23, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Two New England red cards changed the course of the game, which allowed the D.C. to claw back and steal a point (barely).
May 23, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
At what point is it no longer “early, still plenty of time” for the Timbers? We’re almost there.
May 23, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
The final day of the La Liga season is in the books. Who finished where, and who was relegated?
May 23, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
After 17 year at Barcelona, Xavi will leave the club this summer. On Saturday, he said his final farewell to the Camp Nou.
May 23, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
All 10 matches will be on the NBC family of networks, so be sure to click and find out where your club is featuring come 10 a.m. Sunday.
May 23, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
“We know we need to win it and we know we’re more than capable of doing that,” Meyler said.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Carver’s bunch has played lackluster football while being waxed by clubs from the top and bottom of the table.
May 23, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Would the Blues still be champions with Lewandowski over Costa? Or would they have bought both and run rampant over Europe?
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores for Week 38.
May 23, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
The Real Madrid president reportedly met with Ancelotti’s agent to tell him they are likely going to part ways.
May 23, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Stuttgart won big to earn safety and send Hamburg to another nerve-wracking playoff.
May 23, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
The final home match for one of Dortmund’s most successful managers is looking to be a special one at Westfalenstadion.
May 23, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
The future of Robin van Persie at Old Trafford is very much in doubt as a former Premier League manager has given the Dutchman a very tough decision.
May 23, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
We all knew it already, but Sami Khedira will leave Real Madrid after five seasons. Where will he land?
May 23, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
How can Hull City or Newcastle avoid relegation? Who will qualify for the Europa League? Find out all the scenarios for the final day here.
May 23, 2015, 12:37 AM EDT
Final: LA Galaxy 1-0 Houston Dynamo
May 22, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: Columbus Crew 2-2 Chicago Fire
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0