May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: The only blemish of Donovan Ricketts‘ day was a David Beckham free kick, though he isn’t the first to be beaten by that type of effort. While Ricketts’ inability to get to that ball might be immortalized in Beckham’s highlight reel, Montreal’s goalkeeper forged a one-game highlight reel of his own, making three spectacular stops in the first 15 minutes of the second half to keep Montreal in the game.
Packaged for takeaway:
- And Montreal barely staying in this one. Although the Impact were better in the first half, they were dominated in the second. You can’t help but think they would have broken if Los Angeles had some way to meaningfully change up their attack.
- David Beckham’s numbers speak to that lack of variation. He led the game in successful passed (63) but was also, by far, its leader in unsuccessful passes (31). A big part of that: Only four of his 15 attempted crosses were successful. He also lost possession another 33 times, a number that speaks not only to his place in LA’s plans but also their need to find somebody else that can help promote play.
- On both sides of halftime, we saw (more) striking examples of how much Los Angeles misses Omar Gonzalez. On Montreal’s goal, A.J. De La Garza misjudged a long ball while Dan Keat, probably assuming De La Garza would at least put in a challenge for the ball, let Davy Arnaud get behind him. Late in the game when LA was forcing corner after corner, they missed their most dangerous set piece option.
- This was, however, and improvement for the Galaxy. Though their first half was somewhat poor, over the course of 90 minutes, they didn’t look pathetic. They also responding in the second half in the face of what would have been another embarrassing result. The team is highly flawed, but today, they managed to look minimally capable.
- Of course, now there’s a danger LA starts to make strides just as U.S. World Cup qualifying starts, Robbie Keane leaves for Euro 2012, and David Beckham gets called away to Team GB. Even if LA finds a solution soon, they’ll need another one in a few weeks.
- For Montreal, it was a decent point in front of a huge crowd (over 60,000). They still offer very little in attack, but the core of a good defense is in place, particularly with a Nelson Rivas-Matteo Ferrari pairing playing between Ricketts and a midfield of Felipe Martins and Collen Warner. It’s a group that will buy Jesse Marsch time to work out his team’s attacking issues.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:43 AM EDT
Aleksandar Mitrovic’s rocky start to life in the Premier League continued with his first red card on Saturday.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:20 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game live online or via the app this weekend.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:12 AM EDT
Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are in the Starting XI for Arsenal, joining an attack with Alexis Sanchez and Santi Cazorla.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
With Adnan Januzaj out injured, Ander Herrera could see himself playing in a more advanced role against Swansea City.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Find out what moves have been completed as the transfer deadline approaches.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
Spurs are still looking for their first win of the season, but face a tough test when Everton travels to White Hart Lane.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:53 PM EDT
I guess the Donald is a bit too busy to be buying a soccer club right now…
Aug 28, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
Catch up on all the latest gossip from around the Premier League, right here.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The deal is expected to be official within the next 24 hours as Manchester City’s offer was too good to refuse.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
With the close of the transfer window quickly approaching, could Louis van Gaal be on the verge of the summer’s biggest signing?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Chelsea clinched the title last season with a win against Crystal Palace, and the Blues will be looking for a similar result on Saturday at Stamford Bridge.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer predicts the scores for every PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Can the Gunners kick-start their season at St James? Watch live, NBCSN, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Rivalry Week is upon us once again, and if it lives up to the last edition, we’re going to be in for a mighty good time.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
Liverpool and England legend seems to be enjoying life in LA. Check out his video of Swifty.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
Premier League teams will rack up plenty of air miles this season in Europa League action.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Wolfsburg admit to talks over KDB, as City’s offer of wages blow Bundesliga side out of the water.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:04 AM EDT
Segregation of U.S. and Mexico fans key for CONCACAF for huge showdown in Pasadena.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
South Korean international becomes Spurs’ third most-expensive signing in club history.
- WATCH: Every Premier League game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 4 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 7
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0