May 12, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Man of the Match: The only blemish of Donovan Ricketts‘ day was a David Beckham free kick, though he isn’t the first to be beaten by that type of effort. While Ricketts’ inability to get to that ball might be immortalized in Beckham’s highlight reel, Montreal’s goalkeeper forged a one-game highlight reel of his own, making three spectacular stops in the first 15 minutes of the second half to keep Montreal in the game.
Packaged for takeaway:
- And Montreal barely staying in this one. Although the Impact were better in the first half, they were dominated in the second. You can’t help but think they would have broken if Los Angeles had some way to meaningfully change up their attack.
- David Beckham’s numbers speak to that lack of variation. He led the game in successful passed (63) but was also, by far, its leader in unsuccessful passes (31). A big part of that: Only four of his 15 attempted crosses were successful. He also lost possession another 33 times, a number that speaks not only to his place in LA’s plans but also their need to find somebody else that can help promote play.
- On both sides of halftime, we saw (more) striking examples of how much Los Angeles misses Omar Gonzalez. On Montreal’s goal, A.J. De La Garza misjudged a long ball while Dan Keat, probably assuming De La Garza would at least put in a challenge for the ball, let Davy Arnaud get behind him. Late in the game when LA was forcing corner after corner, they missed their most dangerous set piece option.
- This was, however, and improvement for the Galaxy. Though their first half was somewhat poor, over the course of 90 minutes, they didn’t look pathetic. They also responding in the second half in the face of what would have been another embarrassing result. The team is highly flawed, but today, they managed to look minimally capable.
- Of course, now there’s a danger LA starts to make strides just as U.S. World Cup qualifying starts, Robbie Keane leaves for Euro 2012, and David Beckham gets called away to Team GB. Even if LA finds a solution soon, they’ll need another one in a few weeks.
- For Montreal, it was a decent point in front of a huge crowd (over 60,000). They still offer very little in attack, but the core of a good defense is in place, particularly with a Nelson Rivas-Matteo Ferrari pairing playing between Ricketts and a midfield of Felipe Martins and Collen Warner. It’s a group that will buy Jesse Marsch time to work out his team’s attacking issues.
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Arsenal has been handed a boost for their massive Tuesday task of reversing Bayern Munich’s 2-0 advantage in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It’s like playing 1 1/2, 1 3/4 games in terms of damage to your body,” said Ryan Nelsen.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
That is not a lousy public high-five for a player, now, is it?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Timbers skipper staying put, as owner Paulson takes to Twitter to rejoice:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Four teams dominate selections, find out if your favorites were rewarded:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Barcelona have lost two of their last three La Liga matches, can City inflict more UCL heartache on the Catalan club?
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Reds are in the red… but Champions League soccer could solve that and increase the club’s financial footing:
Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
After Shea apparently ‘flipped the bird’ Barnsley end his loan deal from Stoke early:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
USWNT lost two straight games, winless in three for the first time in 13 years:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Find out why the FA has reprimanded a Newcastle player for breaching betting rules, as some PL players continue to break rules:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
See who dazzled and shone above the rest during Week 29:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Two designs left, as NYC FC let their fans pick the franchises new badge ahead of 2015 MLS entry:
Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
PST’s lead writer and editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 29:
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
German international Kroos: “It is no secret the Premier League is a possibility”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Newcastle’s on-loan forward interesting Arsenal, after stellar 2013-14 campaign:
Mar 10, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT
Could Saints’ talented academy products switch St. Mary’s for Old Trafford this summer?
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs