May 13, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Man of the Match: New York goalkeeper Ryan Meara is moving up the list on my ballot for Rookie of the Year – perhaps already in the pole position. Once again Sunday he came through in the clutch with a big save at the end. It’s not just his shot-stopping, but it’s the overall management in the box, his sure hands and good choices on when to stand his ground or when to go get the ball. Other than one bobble in heavy traffic, Meara did everything right in this one.
Packaged for take-away:
- The Red Bulls have four consecutive wins for the first time in nine years, and now sit atop the Eastern Conference after Sunday’s win at PPL Park.
- I’m going to coin new term: The Marquez Conundrum ®. Because Rafa Marquez really is an asset on attack, but a complete defensive liability. Two Marquez passes led to goals for New York, including a sublime, perfectly weighted doozy into Kenny Cooper for the game-winner.
- Cooper has nine goals, or one more than he had last year for Portland
- Philadelphia defender Sheanon Williams is doing OK as fill-in at center back for Danny Califf, but he got crossed up on the game-winner, letting Cooper get into a dangerous gap. (Williams is usually Philly’s starting right back.)
- Marquez was back in the lineup after four matches away. He took Dax McCarty’s holding midfield role; McCarty moved higher up the field, still stationed centrally but playing alongside Mehdi Ballouchy in the Red Bulls’ 4-1-4-1.
- I’ve already had my say about Freddy Adu and his unwise choices.
- As an addendum, no matter what you thought of Jorge Gonzalez’s choice to book Adu in that situation, here’s what the young Union attacker needs to do there: Just play! Don’t dive. Don’t fall. Don’t drag your foot and look for a call. Just try to score.
- It really was a shame, too. Because Adu had been so dangerous in this one, probably playing his best match of 2012. Playing on the right but tucking inside as a playmaker, Adu was creating with his passes, off the dribble and through crisp set-piece delivery.
- Union striker Lionard Pajoy has been a disappointment so far, if we’re being honest. But perhaps he’s the latest example that some players just need 10 or games to get things sorted out in MLS. Because he was quite bright in this one.
- Whatever was missing from Joel Lindpere’s game (or in his personal life) earlier this year, the man has clearly found it.
- At least twice, Philadelphia striker Danny Mwanga passed up opportunities to attack defenders. He hasn’t scored since last summer. Add it all up, the 2010 No. 1 draft pick just isn’t a confidence striker at the moment. Strikers who are feeling it and believing in themselves look for chances to take on defenders in 1-on-1 situations, sometimes even attacking guys along the back line when they probably should pass. Mwanga needs to call FedEx and order up a big shipment of “confidence.”
- Meanwhile, Juan Agudelo’s 30-plus minutes off the bench for New York? Yep, not bad at all. He found good spots, kept possession well, worked well and used some athletic ability to point a couple of shots at target. All in all, that might be enough to convince Jurgen Klinsmann to bring Agudelo into the 29-man camp for a closer look-see, at least.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The young striker has seven goals in eleven appearances for Spurs, but is yet to earn a Premier League start this season.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
No, this is not a Halloween joke.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Aston Villa have lost five straight matches and haven’t scored a goal since September 13th.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Watch the Blues host the R’s Saturday at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Take a look at the rest of the fixtures ahead for Yanks in Europe by heading inside.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
New York Red Bulls, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, FC Dallas, L.A. Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Real Salt Lake or DC United: Who’s been better?
Oct 31, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
“This is the biggest derby that I shall manage,” the Manchester United boss told reporters on Friday.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Onyewu has played at QPR, Malaga, Sporting CP, Twente, AC Milan, Newcastle, Standard Liege, La Louviere and Metz since he left Clemson.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 10 of the PL.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
City and United tangle at 8am ET on NBCSN this Sunday, and the absence of Silva will be a bonus for Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils.
Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN
Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Chelsea and QPR kick-off at 11am ET on NBCSN this Saturday.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
We are a quarter of the way through the season. Scary, right? Anyway, here’s our latest rankings of power.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
“Some weren’t in the European finals, some weren’t even domestic champions,” said Jesus. Others were, and weren’t nominated. We’ll give out some props.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Suddenly-hot Newcastle United put their three-match win streak on the line when they host Liverpool on Saturday morning.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
Bradley Wright-Phillips netted twice in the final 13 minutes and Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes was left to explain the loss.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:47 AM EDT
It’s difficult to imagine him playing in a different shirt, but one-club men grow more rare by the season.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:13 AM EDT
After FC Dallas and the New York Red Bulls defeated their opponents in the first two games of the MLS playoffs, the postseason picture exists in its beginning stages.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Robbie Keane stands ready to play for his international side right after the LA Galaxy’s playoff contests vs. Real Salt Lake.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Final: New York Red Bulls 2, Sporting KC 1
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0