May 13, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Man of the Match: New York goalkeeper Ryan Meara is moving up the list on my ballot for Rookie of the Year – perhaps already in the pole position. Once again Sunday he came through in the clutch with a big save at the end. It’s not just his shot-stopping, but it’s the overall management in the box, his sure hands and good choices on when to stand his ground or when to go get the ball. Other than one bobble in heavy traffic, Meara did everything right in this one.
Packaged for take-away:
- The Red Bulls have four consecutive wins for the first time in nine years, and now sit atop the Eastern Conference after Sunday’s win at PPL Park.
- I’m going to coin new term: The Marquez Conundrum ®. Because Rafa Marquez really is an asset on attack, but a complete defensive liability. Two Marquez passes led to goals for New York, including a sublime, perfectly weighted doozy into Kenny Cooper for the game-winner.
- Cooper has nine goals, or one more than he had last year for Portland
- Philadelphia defender Sheanon Williams is doing OK as fill-in at center back for Danny Califf, but he got crossed up on the game-winner, letting Cooper get into a dangerous gap. (Williams is usually Philly’s starting right back.)
- Marquez was back in the lineup after four matches away. He took Dax McCarty’s holding midfield role; McCarty moved higher up the field, still stationed centrally but playing alongside Mehdi Ballouchy in the Red Bulls’ 4-1-4-1.
- I’ve already had my say about Freddy Adu and his unwise choices.
- As an addendum, no matter what you thought of Jorge Gonzalez’s choice to book Adu in that situation, here’s what the young Union attacker needs to do there: Just play! Don’t dive. Don’t fall. Don’t drag your foot and look for a call. Just try to score.
- It really was a shame, too. Because Adu had been so dangerous in this one, probably playing his best match of 2012. Playing on the right but tucking inside as a playmaker, Adu was creating with his passes, off the dribble and through crisp set-piece delivery.
- Union striker Lionard Pajoy has been a disappointment so far, if we’re being honest. But perhaps he’s the latest example that some players just need 10 or games to get things sorted out in MLS. Because he was quite bright in this one.
- Whatever was missing from Joel Lindpere’s game (or in his personal life) earlier this year, the man has clearly found it.
- At least twice, Philadelphia striker Danny Mwanga passed up opportunities to attack defenders. He hasn’t scored since last summer. Add it all up, the 2010 No. 1 draft pick just isn’t a confidence striker at the moment. Strikers who are feeling it and believing in themselves look for chances to take on defenders in 1-on-1 situations, sometimes even attacking guys along the back line when they probably should pass. Mwanga needs to call FedEx and order up a big shipment of “confidence.”
- Meanwhile, Juan Agudelo’s 30-plus minutes off the bench for New York? Yep, not bad at all. He found good spots, kept possession well, worked well and used some athletic ability to point a couple of shots at target. All in all, that might be enough to convince Jurgen Klinsmann to bring Agudelo into the 29-man camp for a closer look-see, at least.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
That Wayne Rooney implosion? You’re gonna need Rog and Davo to break it down.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The US fringe player picked a terrible time to be injured, with the international break on the horizon.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
With Zelalem weaving through defenders on the Arsenal U-19 team, it’s hard not to get antsy about the 17-year-old possibly playing for the United States.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
With their Champions League match in Russia behind closed doors due to a UEFA sanction, fans found a way to watch anyways, and the team rewarded the dedicated supporters.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has pestered the media with information about Costa’s troublesome hamstring all week, but the player himself isn’t listening.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:47 AM EDT
Alan Pardew must deal with yet another off the field issue at St. James Park as reports he’s losing the dressing room don’t look any less true at the moment.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
Are you as tired of Vincent Tan as Cardiff City supporters are?
Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
The German defender was courted by Manchester United and Real Madrid, but says he is at Dortmund for the long-run.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Wednesday features eight Champions League matches, including important matchups for Premier League sides Arsenal and Liverpool.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
The newly signed Bayern midfielder had 204 touches in Munich’s 2-0 win over FC Koln.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Martin Odegaard made his international debut this summer as Norway’s youngest player ever.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
With City struggling in the group stages once again, why does this keep happening?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
All the stars were out to play as PSG took on Barca in the French capital on Tuesday.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Barcelona midfielder appeared in his 143rd Champions League match today.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Cardiff City’s owner set to invest in Chivas USA?
Sep 30, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The Belgian international was taken off the pitch on a stretcher this weekend with an apparent hamstring injury.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Want a recap of all eight UCL games that took place across Europe on Tuesday? Look no further…
Sep 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Totti, Aguero trade goals as City lose more ground in Group E.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Only Nemanja Matic, much to the chagrin of the Sporting crowd, could beat a fantastic Rui Patricio.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0
- So much for bad hamstrings, Costa states he’s ready for Spain selection 0
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0