May 13, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
I’m sure there’s a broader personnel plan in place at PPL Park – but honestly, it’s a little hard to tell sometimes.
On one hand, it doesn’t come as a huge surprise. He’s played in just four games this year. And at age 32, Califf (left in the picture) doesn’t have tons of tread left on the tires.
Plus, that goofy situation in March was certainly a “heads-up” that something was wrong. Califf was a surprise scratch for one match – and was quite surprised to hear that he was left out of the lineup due to a knee injury that he didn’t know he had.
Yep … happens to us all the time.
So, things clearly aren’t all Jiffy Pop and Twizzlers between player and club. And yet, the defense and the team overall needs leaders, and could sure use tutors for all those teenagers and young 20-somethings that fill up the Union roster.
The latest reports say Chivas USA is the most likely destination for the former U.S. international. That would get Califf closer to his Southern California roots, at least.
Either way, this is Nowak going “all in” following past, unpopular personnel shifts around PPL. Sebastian Le Toux’s trade to Vancouver left the most scarring.
Nowak and Co. certainly have the right to do as they please, roster-wise. But sitting next-to-last in the East with a 2-6-1 mark (1-3-1 at home) is not the kind of supporting evidence that tends to get fans in your corner.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million