May 14, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
- Montreal’s Donovan Ricketts
Rationale, motive and intent: Montreal’s No. 1 put all that longness and lankyness to work in six saves during a 1-1 draw with Los Angeles. It must have felt good; the Galaxy shipped Ricketts off to Canada in the offseason.
- Real Salt Lake’s Tony Beltran
- Real Salt Lake’s Jamison Olave (pictured)
- Montreal’s Matteo Ferrari
- Houston’s Andrew Hainault
Rationale, motive and intent: On another day Houston’s fullback could have been shown a card or two for work that was as physical and aggressive as it was important on a huge day in South Texas. But, since he managed to make it through the match, we’ll consider is “mission accomplished.” Beltran and Olave were huge in helping RSL secure two shutouts on the road. And Ferrari was busy dealing (and dealing well) with David Beckham’s snappy service as Montreal drew with Los Angeles.
- New York’s Dax McCarty
- Houston’s Brad Davis
- Chicago’s Sebastián Grazzini
- New York’s Joel Lindpere
- New England’s Lee Nguyen
Rationale, motive and intent: McCarty sure knows how to keep the party going, as the man’s outstanding run of form helped New York squeeze out a 1-0 win over Houston and then go take all the points over the weekend at Philly. (McCarty even played in a different position in that one, accommodating Rafa Marquez’s return to the lineup by moving forward in the starting arrangement.)
Lindpere did his part in all that, too, adding the first goal in New York’s road win Sunday and generally working his little Bulls off.
Davis turned up with one of the biggest goals in Houston Dynamo history. Nguyen turned up with two goals of his one in New England’s win over Vancouver.
- Seattle’s Fredy Montero
Rationale, motive and intent: The pickings were slightly slim this week for front-runners. But Montero’s work off the bench in Seattle’s mid-week match deserves recognition. He beat the Dallas back line twice to help Seattle navigate its busy stretch and take all three points out of Dallas.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0