May 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Olympique Lyonnais are within striking distance of a second straight UEFA Women’s Champions League title. Their recent victory in the French Cup final also brings them one step closer to securing their first ever treble. It’s been four years since a European women’s club last accomplished that feat. The team? Lyon’s opponents on Thursday, FFC Frankfurt.
Lyon are enjoying an era of dominance previously unseen in women’s club soccer. We’ll address Lyon’s spellbinding style of play later, but here are some records to ponder heading into the grand finale in Munich.
- Talk about a culture of winning. Lyon haven’t lost a match in regular time in 81 consecutive games. The team lost three matches in penalty kick shoot-outs in that time, including the 2009-10 UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
- The team hasn’t lost a league match since March 14, 2010. That’s a run of 49 games without a loss. That also includes just four draws.
- Lyon’s defense has conceded three goals in league play all year. The team’s attack has scored 103 goals. Yep, that’s a +100 goal difference… with three league matches to play.
- Lyon have conceded five goals in their last 19 Champions League matches. They have won their last nine matches with a total goal margin of 37 to 1.
- Lyon players represent four of the league’s top five goal scorers.
- Forwards Lotta Schelin and Eugenie Le Sommer have scored more combined goals (29) than seven of the 12 teams in the league.
- The team has won the last five French Feminine Division I titles. A sixth straight championship isn’t exactly a foregone conclusion, despite the jaw-dropping stats listed above. They face stiff competition from league rivals this season. With two rounds left, Lyon currently sit three points behind leaders Juvisy with a game in hand. Montpellier are also in amongst it and are two points adrift of Lyon. Much like Ligue 1, the race for the title could come down to the wire.
For now, Lyon will make the most of their third Champions League final appearance in as many years. Are Lyon simply unstoppable? Frankfurt will get the chance to voice their rebuttal on Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
With Guardiola not taking kindly to criticism from the front office, could the former Barcelona boss return to the Camp Nou?
Apr 17, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
For decades Manchester United have been the top dogs in Manchester, now that’s changing. PST’s Editor and Lead Writer went behind the scenes to see what Mancunians are all about:
Apr 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Can Brendan Rodgers and company make it through the rest of their schedule unscathed to the prize at the end? Chelsea seem like the biggest hurdle. Our very own Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville discuss.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Conspiracy theories are abound, with Swansea’s Garry Monk believing someone is out to get his club while Aston Villa’s Paul Lambert couldn’t speak on the suspension of staff members due to a “legal investigation.”
Apr 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Napoli’s Marek Hamsik has struggled this year, but the 26-year-old could seriously bolster a Premier League attack.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
With its club licensing benchmark report for the 2012 season, UEFA has outlined trends that signal both unprecedented growth and overspending issues.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
According to a BBC report, a Cardiff player leaked the lineup to Moody who mistakenly sent a text to the wrong person.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
With Brendan Rodgers having steered Liverpool to unthinkable Premier League heights, Arsene Wenger believes the deciders should instead look to the league’s trenches to give out its postseason award.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
- Manchester: A city not united, as Blue and Red converge 0
- PST Extra: Race for the Premier League title 0
- Report: Cardiff, Tan claim to have evidence against Palace in spy accusation 0
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 1
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 5