May 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
Olympique Lyonnais are within striking distance of a second straight UEFA Women’s Champions League title. Their recent victory in the French Cup final also brings them one step closer to securing their first ever treble. It’s been four years since a European women’s club last accomplished that feat. The team? Lyon’s opponents on Thursday, FFC Frankfurt.
Lyon are enjoying an era of dominance previously unseen in women’s club soccer. We’ll address Lyon’s spellbinding style of play later, but here are some records to ponder heading into the grand finale in Munich.
- Talk about a culture of winning. Lyon haven’t lost a match in regular time in 81 consecutive games. The team lost three matches in penalty kick shoot-outs in that time, including the 2009-10 UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
- The team hasn’t lost a league match since March 14, 2010. That’s a run of 49 games without a loss. That also includes just four draws.
- Lyon’s defense has conceded three goals in league play all year. The team’s attack has scored 103 goals. Yep, that’s a +100 goal difference… with three league matches to play.
- Lyon have conceded five goals in their last 19 Champions League matches. They have won their last nine matches with a total goal margin of 37 to 1.
- Lyon players represent four of the league’s top five goal scorers.
- Forwards Lotta Schelin and Eugenie Le Sommer have scored more combined goals (29) than seven of the 12 teams in the league.
- The team has won the last five French Feminine Division I titles. A sixth straight championship isn’t exactly a foregone conclusion, despite the jaw-dropping stats listed above. They face stiff competition from league rivals this season. With two rounds left, Lyon currently sit three points behind leaders Juvisy with a game in hand. Montpellier are also in amongst it and are two points adrift of Lyon. Much like Ligue 1, the race for the title could come down to the wire.
For now, Lyon will make the most of their third Champions League final appearance in as many years. Are Lyon simply unstoppable? Frankfurt will get the chance to voice their rebuttal on Thursday.
Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
You could try to use the Red Bulls’ 2014 season to make inferences about what will happen Sunday against the Revs, but it’d be a huge waste of your time.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Go ahead and try to be as good as Robbie Keane. Give it your best shot. Good luck, you’re going to need it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Zinedine Zidane can return to coaching after his nonsensical coaching suspension was lifted on Friday. Perhaps “qualified” needs redefining.
VIDEO: Louis van Gaal calls Wayne Rooney “not a typical striker,” praises versatility ahead of Arsenal showdown
Nov 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Louis van Gaal has called Wayne Rooney “not a typical striker,” but a “fantastic player” nonetheless before Arsenal showdown.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Where and how to watch every single PL game in Week 12.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
It’s tempting to look ahead and crown the LA Galaxy MLS Cup champions already. A word of warning: Don’t do it at the Sounders’ expense.
MLS Cup Playoffs Preview: Red Bulls vs. Revolution, Galaxy vs. Sounders in Conference Championship first legs
Nov 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The 2014 season is nearly finished, as the MLS Cup Playoffs resume this weekend. A few facts and stats to excite ahead of Sunday’s action.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Dear haters: Jermaine hears you, is not bothered by you and still loves you. Look out, Red Bulls.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
The English-born coach has had big success in Orlando since the club began play in 2011, winning the regular season title in three of four seasons.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Whitecaps FC 2 will compete in metro Vancouver at Thunderbird Stadium inside of the University of British Columbia.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EST
The quota request comes after the BBC conducted a “State of the Game” survey that dug into the international representation in the Premier League.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Can the Baggies improve on last year’s point at Stamford Bridge?
Nov 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
I’m a fan of Batman, but seems to me “The Dark Knight” should consider rocking Valencia’s bat rather than his own. Looks slick.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Here’s how PST’s lead writer and editor sees things panning out this weekend.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
So to the MLS players, coaches and “media members who regularly covered the league”, sit back and enjoy your biggest screw-ups.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
Welbeck is used to being on the side of the favorites in this matchup, as Manchester United has dominated the series in recent years.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
Danny Welbeck’s first Premier League game against his former team is just one subplot as the Gunners host the Red Devils.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
All Americans plying their trade in the Premier League have a decent look at points, while two in the Championship will opening things up with Friday matches.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Paris Saint-Germain has claimed the last two Trophées with wins over Bordeaux and Guingamp, but this year’s table is clustered.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:17 AM EST
Swansea manager Garry Monk is hoping for the best as the Swans journey to play Manchester City at the Etihad this weekend.
- Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders to square off in Western Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0