May 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Olympique Lyonnais are within striking distance of a second straight UEFA Women’s Champions League title. Their recent victory in the French Cup final also brings them one step closer to securing their first ever treble. It’s been four years since a European women’s club last accomplished that feat. The team? Lyon’s opponents on Thursday, FFC Frankfurt.
Lyon are enjoying an era of dominance previously unseen in women’s club soccer. We’ll address Lyon’s spellbinding style of play later, but here are some records to ponder heading into the grand finale in Munich.
- Talk about a culture of winning. Lyon haven’t lost a match in regular time in 81 consecutive games. The team lost three matches in penalty kick shoot-outs in that time, including the 2009-10 UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
- The team hasn’t lost a league match since March 14, 2010. That’s a run of 49 games without a loss. That also includes just four draws.
- Lyon’s defense has conceded three goals in league play all year. The team’s attack has scored 103 goals. Yep, that’s a +100 goal difference… with three league matches to play.
- Lyon have conceded five goals in their last 19 Champions League matches. They have won their last nine matches with a total goal margin of 37 to 1.
- Lyon players represent four of the league’s top five goal scorers.
- Forwards Lotta Schelin and Eugenie Le Sommer have scored more combined goals (29) than seven of the 12 teams in the league.
- The team has won the last five French Feminine Division I titles. A sixth straight championship isn’t exactly a foregone conclusion, despite the jaw-dropping stats listed above. They face stiff competition from league rivals this season. With two rounds left, Lyon currently sit three points behind leaders Juvisy with a game in hand. Montpellier are also in amongst it and are two points adrift of Lyon. Much like Ligue 1, the race for the title could come down to the wire.
For now, Lyon will make the most of their third Champions League final appearance in as many years. Are Lyon simply unstoppable? Frankfurt will get the chance to voice their rebuttal on Thursday.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
Jul 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Now Schneiderlin wants out as Saints’ incredible exodus continues to take a turn for the worst.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Despite not winning any silverware last season, Barcelona were big winners off the pitch.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Tevez’s father, Juan Carlos Cabral, is said to have been kidnapped in Buenos Aires and held for ransom.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Southampton duo are going nowhere, despite being linked with Tottenham switch.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Liverpool sign talented Belgian teenager, will loan him back to Lille this season.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Even after calling African players “banana eaters” this man is set lead the Italian FA.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3