May 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Olympique Lyonnais are within striking distance of a second straight UEFA Women’s Champions League title. Their recent victory in the French Cup final also brings them one step closer to securing their first ever treble. It’s been four years since a European women’s club last accomplished that feat. The team? Lyon’s opponents on Thursday, FFC Frankfurt.
Lyon are enjoying an era of dominance previously unseen in women’s club soccer. We’ll address Lyon’s spellbinding style of play later, but here are some records to ponder heading into the grand finale in Munich.
– Talk about a culture of winning. Lyon haven’t lost a match in regular time in 81 consecutive games. The team lost three matches in penalty kick shoot-outs in that time, including the 2009-10 UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
– The team hasn’t lost a league match since March 14, 2010. That’s a run of 49 games without a loss. That also includes just four draws.
– Lyon’s defense has conceded three goals in league play all year. The team’s attack has scored 103 goals. Yep, that’s a +100 goal difference… with three league matches to play.
– Lyon have conceded five goals in their last 19 Champions League matches. They have won their last nine matches with a total goal margin of 37 to 1.
– Lyon players represent four of the league’s top five goal scorers.
– Forwards Lotta Schelin and Eugenie Le Sommer have scored more combined goals (29) than seven of the 12 teams in the league.
– The team has won the last five French Feminine Division I titles. A sixth straight championship isn’t exactly a foregone conclusion, despite the jaw-dropping stats listed above. They face stiff competition from league rivals this season. With two rounds left, Lyon currently sit three points behind leaders Juvisy with a game in hand. Montpellier are also in amongst it and are two points adrift of Lyon. Much like Ligue 1, the race for the title could come down to the wire.
For now, Lyon will make the most of their third Champions League final appearance in as many years. Are Lyon simply unstoppable? Frankfurt will get the chance to voice their rebuttal on Thursday.
USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair
Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Fortunately for Chedjou, Cameroon came back to beat Thailand 3-2.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
Lads and ladies, men and women, dudes and dudettes, it’s going to be a bit of an odd week for the MLS Team of the Week here on PST.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
The anthem that blared over the loudspeaker happened to belong to Isle of Man, not on-field participants El Salvador.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
Reports say he was lost after leaving a fraternity party near the University of Southern California.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Who claimed the honors for Week 4 in Major League Soccer? The only former Ballon d’Or winner in the league!
Mar 30, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
The Western New York Flash are reaping the rewards of Abby Wambach’s refusal to play ball.
Mar 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Wright helped the U.S. qualify for this summer’s U-17 World Cup, and recorded 18 goals and 7 assists in 22 games for the side.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The tournament begins July 7, with Los Catrachos facing the USMNT in Frisco, Texas.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Few have successfully predicted the erratic USMNT lineups over the last few months, but here’s our best shot.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
The Dutchman’s agent says he has not spoken with any teams, including the Red Devils.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
A salty relationship between the Bulgarian striker and his Dutch boss led to the “Dream Team” member departing Barcelona a year later.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
The 42-year-old’s 126th career goal is a world record.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
The 27-year-old Belgian saw a picture that touched him enough to reach out.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
After being knocked unconscious by a flare, the Russian shot-stopper will be fit to play a crucial league match this weekend.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
England has refrained from bidding for World Cups since their relationship with Sepp Blatter has soured, but that could change in the next vote or two.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
Barcelona striker Neymar was furious with former Premier League defender Gary Medel, who clattered him hard during the first half of a physical match.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT
The 26-year-old scored for the Mexican team this weekend, but remains frustrated at the club level.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Are Saints about to lose another young star to one of the Premier League’s “big five?” We’ll find out this summer.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1
- Prolific U.S. U-17 striker chooses club home in NASL 2
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 3
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 1
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Toronto FC 2