May 15, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Olympique Lyonnais are within striking distance of a second straight UEFA Women’s Champions League title. Their recent victory in the French Cup final also brings them one step closer to securing their first ever treble. It’s been four years since a European women’s club last accomplished that feat. The team? Lyon’s opponents on Thursday, FFC Frankfurt.
Lyon are enjoying an era of dominance previously unseen in women’s club soccer. We’ll address Lyon’s spellbinding style of play later, but here are some records to ponder heading into the grand finale in Munich.
- Talk about a culture of winning. Lyon haven’t lost a match in regular time in 81 consecutive games. The team lost three matches in penalty kick shoot-outs in that time, including the 2009-10 UEFA Women’s Champions League final.
- The team hasn’t lost a league match since March 14, 2010. That’s a run of 49 games without a loss. That also includes just four draws.
- Lyon’s defense has conceded three goals in league play all year. The team’s attack has scored 103 goals. Yep, that’s a +100 goal difference… with three league matches to play.
- Lyon have conceded five goals in their last 19 Champions League matches. They have won their last nine matches with a total goal margin of 37 to 1.
- Lyon players represent four of the league’s top five goal scorers.
- Forwards Lotta Schelin and Eugenie Le Sommer have scored more combined goals (29) than seven of the 12 teams in the league.
- The team has won the last five French Feminine Division I titles. A sixth straight championship isn’t exactly a foregone conclusion, despite the jaw-dropping stats listed above. They face stiff competition from league rivals this season. With two rounds left, Lyon currently sit three points behind leaders Juvisy with a game in hand. Montpellier are also in amongst it and are two points adrift of Lyon. Much like Ligue 1, the race for the title could come down to the wire.
For now, Lyon will make the most of their third Champions League final appearance in as many years. Are Lyon simply unstoppable? Frankfurt will get the chance to voice their rebuttal on Thursday.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
James is officially a Real Madrid player.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Douglas Costa: “We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region.”
Jul 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Will the Colombian winger be heading to Old Trafford this summer?
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
23-year-old will complete his $107 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
What makes an MLS franchise great? Who is the greatest? Is there a right or wrong answer?
Jul 21, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Former World Cup winning captain to be handed the reins for second time in four years.
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 10
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 2
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10