May 15, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – Aron Winter’s men meet Vancouver on Wednesday in the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship final. We’re not out of May and yet this looks like TFC’s best chance to take something out of 2012 – a historically pitiful 0-8 start will do that for you. Torsten Fring is injured again, but it looks like DP striker Danny Koevermans will be available, and that’s a major upgrade in the Reds’ destabilizing injury situation.
18. Portland Timbers – The Timbers skipped past Round 10 but get an early start on Round 11 as manager John Spencer takes his club down to Houston for a match tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium. Spencer, of course, was longtime assistant to Dominic Kinnear in South Texas.
17. Philadelphia Union – There will or won’t be an announcement today (or yesterday) of a trade that sends captain Danny Califf to Chivas USA, depending on which report you believe. We’ll see. But as we ponder Juan Pablo Angel’s possible arrival upon Union soil, let’s ask this: Who will partner Carlos Valdes in central defense at PPL Park? Because surely using right back Sheanon Williams is just a stop-gap, right?
16. FC Dallas – Hey, guys: what do ya say you try to finish one of these with 11 men? You know, something different. Shake things up. Dallas players and coaches know they are making things hard on themselves with this inexplicable rush to ejection, just like last Saturday in a 2-1 loss at Columbus. Schellas Hyndman’s team is winless in its last six.
15. Columbus Crew – File this one under: “They’ll take it.” Things weren’t beautiful around Crew Stadium as Robert Warzycha’s men rallied to take all three points from 10-man FC Dallas. But any way you snap a five-game losing streak is the right way. Right? Speaking of “right,” right back Sebastian Miranda continues to be solid, adding a nice header goal Saturday to steady defense.
14. New England Revolution – Other opposition saw flashes of what Lee Nguyen could do along the left side at Gillette – but man, oh, man, did Vancouver feel the full force! Nguyen went ground-and-pound on the team that released him in March, beating on the Whitecaps with two goals and an assist in a 4-1 win. It was a good team performance overall, and the big take-away may be Benny Feilhaber’s embrace of the right midfield role. Or the fact that Saer Sene (pictured) is starting to look like the striking force management hoped he would be.
13. Chivas USA – Robin Fraser’s team was minutes from adding another win to a road record that already looked pretty salty; a late goal at San Jose left Chivas with a 1-1 draw. Hard to say how this week’s Clasico will play out; the Goats have been impotent at the Home Depot Center in 2012. But this week’s opposition, the Galaxy, hasn’t been much to shout about there, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Free agent Valdes arrives to “train with the first team” at United.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0