May 15, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – Aron Winter’s men meet Vancouver on Wednesday in the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship final. We’re not out of May and yet this looks like TFC’s best chance to take something out of 2012 – a historically pitiful 0-8 start will do that for you. Torsten Fring is injured again, but it looks like DP striker Danny Koevermans will be available, and that’s a major upgrade in the Reds’ destabilizing injury situation.
18. Portland Timbers – The Timbers skipped past Round 10 but get an early start on Round 11 as manager John Spencer takes his club down to Houston for a match tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium. Spencer, of course, was longtime assistant to Dominic Kinnear in South Texas.
17. Philadelphia Union – There will or won’t be an announcement today (or yesterday) of a trade that sends captain Danny Califf to Chivas USA, depending on which report you believe. We’ll see. But as we ponder Juan Pablo Angel’s possible arrival upon Union soil, let’s ask this: Who will partner Carlos Valdes in central defense at PPL Park? Because surely using right back Sheanon Williams is just a stop-gap, right?
16. FC Dallas – Hey, guys: what do ya say you try to finish one of these with 11 men? You know, something different. Shake things up. Dallas players and coaches know they are making things hard on themselves with this inexplicable rush to ejection, just like last Saturday in a 2-1 loss at Columbus. Schellas Hyndman’s team is winless in its last six.
15. Columbus Crew – File this one under: “They’ll take it.” Things weren’t beautiful around Crew Stadium as Robert Warzycha’s men rallied to take all three points from 10-man FC Dallas. But any way you snap a five-game losing streak is the right way. Right? Speaking of “right,” right back Sebastian Miranda continues to be solid, adding a nice header goal Saturday to steady defense.
14. New England Revolution – Other opposition saw flashes of what Lee Nguyen could do along the left side at Gillette – but man, oh, man, did Vancouver feel the full force! Nguyen went ground-and-pound on the team that released him in March, beating on the Whitecaps with two goals and an assist in a 4-1 win. It was a good team performance overall, and the big take-away may be Benny Feilhaber’s embrace of the right midfield role. Or the fact that Saer Sene (pictured) is starting to look like the striking force management hoped he would be.
13. Chivas USA – Robin Fraser’s team was minutes from adding another win to a road record that already looked pretty salty; a late goal at San Jose left Chivas with a 1-1 draw. Hard to say how this week’s Clasico will play out; the Goats have been impotent at the Home Depot Center in 2012. But this week’s opposition, the Galaxy, hasn’t been much to shout about there, either.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
James is officially a Real Madrid player.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Douglas Costa: “We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region.”
Jul 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Will the Colombian winger be heading to Old Trafford this summer?
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
23-year-old will complete his $107 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 10
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 5
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10