May 15, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Who in the world would have recently predicted Sporting Kansas City would be a Part II side? They’ve been money as part of the weekly Money Shot all along! Anyway, here’s the mid-pack bunch (Nos. 12-7, counting down) in ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS quality rearrangement. Part I, a.k.a. the “Money Shot” is on deck:
12. Montréal Impact – Things aren’t going badly at all for the expansion side, which is about a month from getting into its renovated stadium. Last week a Canadian pro soccer record 60,860 watched Montreal’s 1-1 draw at Olympic Stadium. The central defensive pairing that coach Jesse Marsch thought all along could be so strong, Matteo Ferrari and Nelson Rivas, is healthy and looking strong. It took a wonderful David Beckham free kick to breach the back line and snap the Impact’s shutout streak, which had advanced to 259 minutes.
11. Los Angeles Galaxy – David Beckham’s up-and-down season was back up in Montreal, where the Galaxy peppered the expansion hosts but ultimately split the points. Beckham’s free kick goal was quite nice. Plus, it gives the L.A. players and staff something to talk about with Barack Obama as the team meets the President today.
10. Colorado Rapids – More wacky scheduling from the league: Colorado doesn’t play in Round 10 but now kicks off twice over four days, with travel in between. First up is a visit to Washington, D.C. The Rapids are, at least, catching United at a potentially vulnerable time. “We know they played in a big emotional game on Saturday against Houston in the new stadium and had to travel back,” center back Drew Moor said. “We’re definitely going to look to take advantage of that, and we’ve had a little time off now.”
9. Vancouver Whitecaps – Everyone is entitled to a stinker. But the 4-1 loss at New England underscores a couple of points. First, when Vancouver’s defense isn’t up for the job, results just won’t be possible. Because the ‘Caps attack continues to under-produce. Second, when the team’s first-choice center backs aren’t available, bad things aren’t far away.
8. Chicago Fire – Frank Klopas’ men keep leaving it for late. Like Saturday’s thriller over Sporting Kansas City. This time it was Dominic Oduro (pictured) striking after the 80th minute in a 2-1 win, one that helps the Fire stay connected to the Eastern Conference leaders. Rafael Robayo is finding a comfort zone in the Fire midfield, which is good. Not so good is the hamstring injury to defender Arne Friedrich; the veteran’s ability to stay healthy will determine whether this risky signing works out.
7. Sporting Kansas City – Sporting Kansas City was the talk of MLS for 7 or 8 weeks for all the right reasons. Don’t make us label you “Talk of the MLS – for all the wrong reasons.” Saturday’s loss at Chicago makes it three “Ls” in a row, a truly unnerving turn after such a good opening sprint. And no matter what SKC manager Peter Vermes says about Roger Espinoza’s red card on Saturday, it sure looked like the Sporting midfielder was doing some head hunting.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”
Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 1
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 11
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1