May 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
We like to avoid big jumps and general instability in our weekly rankings – but sometimes it can’t be helped. Real Salt Lake made the big leap after a big-leap kind of week, a shakeup assisted by losses from others highly placers. Here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers in our weekly MLS Rankings countdown, Nos. 1-6:
6. Houston Dynamo – I know it looks strange to see the 7th place team in the East this high in the ProSoccerTalk rankings. But starting with seven on the road isn’t easy. And if the back line remains steady as she goes, with equally reliable backstopping from Tally Hall, there’s no reason to think the Orange (and there is a LOT of orange around the new Dynamo grounds) can’t begin a slow climb up the table.
5. New York Red Bulls – Yes, Hans Backe is holding the team together with Swedish duct tape and baling wire. (Probably the good stuff, not the dollar store variety.) But however the fashion, the Red Bulls are stitching together one impressive result after another. Four wins in a row have left Backe’s boys atop the East (albeit with a game in hand over Sporting Kansas City). Rafa Marquez’s return was a mix bag; but isn’t he always?
4. D.C. United – Ben Olsen’s team has lost two of three, but both Ls were on the road to quality teams (San Jose and Houston). So, no need to panic, although Perry Kitchen’s injury during Saturday’s loss to Houston is concerning. It doesn’t look long-term, at least. Bill Hamid’s solid play in goal Saturday was a check mark. He’ll need more of that as well-rested Colorado visits Wednesday.
3. Seattle Sounders – The Sigi Sounders navigated their difficult scheduling well enough until Saturday’s loss to Real Salt Lake. Seattle looked OK for a half, but the miles and minutes seemed to catch up after the break. Alvaro Fernandez is back in the lineup, but getting Brad Evans healthy will be important for all the little things he does. Midfielder Andy Rose: “It’s been a tough five games and to come out of it with a good amount of points and near the top of the table is good. It hurts a little bit not to be on top, but we’re definitely moving in the right direction.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – They huffed and puffed and finally blew one past Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy to secure a 1-1 draw at home. (San Jose outshot the visitors, 24-5.) Draws at Buck Shaw aren’t what Frank Yallop wants, especially coming off a loss (at Vancouver). On the other hand, getting a goal from Alan Gordon says good things. If Gordon is past all his injury concerns, that’s one more offensive weapon for Yallop on a shelf that’s well stocked already.
1. Real Salt Lake – Who wouldn’t take a scoreless draw at Chicago and a win at Seattle over a four-day stretch? Jason Kreis’ team handled the rough patch with aplomb thanks to Fabian Espindola’s slick finish at CenturyLink. (Espindola is pictured above) That makes in five in a row without a loss for RSL. And that leaves them atop the Western Conference standings – depending on how you like to add up the points. (RSL is on top but has played more matches than the field.)
Jul 2, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Japan beat the U.S. to win the 2011 World Cup. The U.S. beat Japan to win the 2012 Olympics. Round 3 takes place Sunday in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
A Major League Soccer franchise is going to win the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:57 PM EDT
Mark Sampson spoke in detail about the character of Laura Bassett and how he hopes girls in England are inspired for the future.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:11 PM EDT
Full credit to England for an inspiring World Cup, and to Japan for getting to a second straight World Cup final.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:51 PM EDT
Three weeks from tonight are the Gold Cup semifinals, with the final on July 26 in Philadelphia.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
From Brandi Chastain and Jeb Brovsky to total strangers from England and beyond, my goodness, people are trying to console Laura Bassett.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
United says it remains committed to bringing MLS to Minnesota, and it’s worth wondering if the rival Minnesota group is hampering progress.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Defending champion Japan advances to second straight Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Big story for Dortmund, even if it’s a bit under-the-radar.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Donovan, of course, was left off the World Cup roster last summer by Klinsmann, much to the chagrin of many U.S. fans.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
England’s fairytale run to its first Women’s World Cup semifinal meets the reigning champions in Edmonton on Wednesday
Jul 1, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT
Shay Facey knows Lampard from his time at Manchester City, and wasn’t bashful in praising the situation.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:26 PM EDT
He’s the latest addition for Roberto Mancini at the San Siro, along with Monaco midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia and Granada defender Jeison Murillo.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
As we gear up for a massive Gold Cup tournament, here’s a look at the superstars who will be on show in the United States of America.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
With the summer transfer window officially open, plenty of deals have started to trickle through. Here’s a roundup of the latest.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
USWNT legend Wambach joins the Dan Patrick show to preview the Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Can the Three Lionesses cause another upset to set up a clash with the USA in the final?
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Colombian forward is inching towards a move to Stamford Bridge.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
After giving away a PK in a pivotal moment of the USWNT’s World Cup semifinal, Johnston thanked her teammates for their support.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0