May 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
We like to avoid big jumps and general instability in our weekly rankings – but sometimes it can’t be helped. Real Salt Lake made the big leap after a big-leap kind of week, a shakeup assisted by losses from others highly placers. Here are your top money-makers and heart-breakers in our weekly MLS Rankings countdown, Nos. 1-6:
6. Houston Dynamo – I know it looks strange to see the 7th place team in the East this high in the ProSoccerTalk rankings. But starting with seven on the road isn’t easy. And if the back line remains steady as she goes, with equally reliable backstopping from Tally Hall, there’s no reason to think the Orange (and there is a LOT of orange around the new Dynamo grounds) can’t begin a slow climb up the table.
5. New York Red Bulls – Yes, Hans Backe is holding the team together with Swedish duct tape and baling wire. (Probably the good stuff, not the dollar store variety.) But however the fashion, the Red Bulls are stitching together one impressive result after another. Four wins in a row have left Backe’s boys atop the East (albeit with a game in hand over Sporting Kansas City). Rafa Marquez’s return was a mix bag; but isn’t he always?
4. D.C. United – Ben Olsen’s team has lost two of three, but both Ls were on the road to quality teams (San Jose and Houston). So, no need to panic, although Perry Kitchen’s injury during Saturday’s loss to Houston is concerning. It doesn’t look long-term, at least. Bill Hamid’s solid play in goal Saturday was a check mark. He’ll need more of that as well-rested Colorado visits Wednesday.
3. Seattle Sounders – The Sigi Sounders navigated their difficult scheduling well enough until Saturday’s loss to Real Salt Lake. Seattle looked OK for a half, but the miles and minutes seemed to catch up after the break. Alvaro Fernandez is back in the lineup, but getting Brad Evans healthy will be important for all the little things he does. Midfielder Andy Rose: “It’s been a tough five games and to come out of it with a good amount of points and near the top of the table is good. It hurts a little bit not to be on top, but we’re definitely moving in the right direction.”
2. San Jose Earthquakes – They huffed and puffed and finally blew one past Chivas USA’s Dan Kennedy to secure a 1-1 draw at home. (San Jose outshot the visitors, 24-5.) Draws at Buck Shaw aren’t what Frank Yallop wants, especially coming off a loss (at Vancouver). On the other hand, getting a goal from Alan Gordon says good things. If Gordon is past all his injury concerns, that’s one more offensive weapon for Yallop on a shelf that’s well stocked already.
1. Real Salt Lake – Who wouldn’t take a scoreless draw at Chicago and a win at Seattle over a four-day stretch? Jason Kreis’ team handled the rough patch with aplomb thanks to Fabian Espindola’s slick finish at CenturyLink. (Espindola is pictured above) That makes in five in a row without a loss for RSL. And that leaves them atop the Western Conference standings – depending on how you like to add up the points. (RSL is on top but has played more matches than the field.)
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
The European Club Association includes at least one club from every nation in UEFA and includes Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 11
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 1