May 15, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
Sixteen players have been asked to report to the U.S. Men’s National Team camp in Orlando, with head coach Jurgen Klinsmann starting to piece together the team that will face Scotland, Brazil and Canada ahead of the start of World Cup qualifying (June 8 against Antigua and Barbuda).
More often than not, these announcements are more newsworthy for those who aren’t called in. This one is no different, with FC Nuremburg defender Timmy Chandler not included.
We’ll have more about the Chandler story in a bit, as it seems the long-term, U.S. future of the team’s best left back may be in doubt.
For now, the 16 who will be in Florida, as copy-and-pasted from U.S. Soccer’s web site:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (4): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
FORWARDS (1): Clint Dempsey (Fulham)
As the federation pointed it, it’s a mostly foreign-based crew, though Real Salt Lake lose two players who’ve been crucial to their hot start: Kyle Beckermand and Nick Rimando.
RSL doesn’t play against until May 26. Expect the rest of the MLS-based call ups sometime next week.
The German contingent is strong, with six in Klinsmann’s initial 16. Included among them is Alfredo Morales, who has yet to get his first cap at the senior level.
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy