May 16, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Balls off Lewis Neal’s left foot set up both D.C. United goals, even if the left-sided midfielder didn’t get official assist props on the second. Overall,all four members of United’s midfield made things difficult on the visitors, who never established much possession or any rhythm to speak of.
Packaged for take-away:
- Conor Casey with his first start in almost a year. Nice to have the big battering ram back. Fewer dull moments with him banging around.
- Casey lasted through the 65th.
- Colorado was supposed to be the well-rested side, but it sure didn’t look that way. Credit D.C. United with a strong effort following a warm Saturday afternoon in Houston and subsequent travel.
- For a team that ostensibly wants to possess the ball, Colorado did look for Casey with long stuff fairly frequently. Again, that’s credit to United’s organized, energetic midfield.
- Dwayne De Rosario, last seen as a midfielder over the weekend, lined up as a second forward in this one, behind striker Hamdi Salihi.
- De Rosario found good spots all night. And once United took a two-goal lead, he dropped further into midfield, wisely helping his team adjust into possession and game-management mode. United, after all, has another match coming up Saturday, it’s third in eight days. So preserving the legs needed to become the order of the day once a two-goal margin was achieved.
- De Rosario’s third goal this year was a quality finish. And Neal’s ball played right into De Rosario’s stride was just swell. But good heavens the Rapids’ defending was coyote ugly on that sequence.
- The Rapids’ defense, missing center back Marvell Wynne, was a mess most of the night. Matt Pickens’ good work in Colorado goal kept this one as close as it was.
- On the other hand, Pickens looked like he was about to go MMA on a couple of his defenders. Yes, providing information, instruction, communication and a certain amount of motivation is all in a day’s work for goalkeepers. But when it comes to dramatic histrionics, is that really leadership?
- It was close, but Salihi sure looked offside on the home team’s second score.
- Rapids’ rookie forward Tony Cascio has tremendous talent and potential, but his choices on the ball sometimes need quickening.
- Perry Kitchen’s work as a defensive screener for United was quality stuff. He just keeps growing more and more into the position.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Watch this hilarious video, as Brand gives Big Sam a smooch.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Mario Balotelli score his first Premier League goal and get Liverpool going? Watch live, here.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Hammers win third-straight PL game, as City’s bad week gets worse.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Can the Gunners top Sunderland? Watch live.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
The Baggies are two points above the drop with 9 points, while Palace’s 8 points have them slightly less safe.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Around this time last season, Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic scored a goal in the wind against Southampton.
Oct 25, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
Before the tournament, we asked whether they’d roar, and so far the US women have done so.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Van Gaal: “He’s very special but he is very special for me because we’ve continued our relationship.”
Oct 25, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Just what is going wrong at the back for Liverpool? Brendan Rodgers has a theory…
Oct 25, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Can West Ham upset Man City? Watch live, here.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 9 live online or via the app.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The midfielder is yet to make a Premier League start this season as rumors surfaced that he could return to Brazil on loan.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Chicago ended their season with a win as Florent Sinama-Pongolle tallied in stoppage time to erase Houston’s first half lead.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 0
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0