May 16, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Balls off Lewis Neal’s left foot set up both D.C. United goals, even if the left-sided midfielder didn’t get official assist props on the second. Overall,all four members of United’s midfield made things difficult on the visitors, who never established much possession or any rhythm to speak of.
Packaged for take-away:
- Conor Casey with his first start in almost a year. Nice to have the big battering ram back. Fewer dull moments with him banging around.
- Casey lasted through the 65th.
- Colorado was supposed to be the well-rested side, but it sure didn’t look that way. Credit D.C. United with a strong effort following a warm Saturday afternoon in Houston and subsequent travel.
- For a team that ostensibly wants to possess the ball, Colorado did look for Casey with long stuff fairly frequently. Again, that’s credit to United’s organized, energetic midfield.
- Dwayne De Rosario, last seen as a midfielder over the weekend, lined up as a second forward in this one, behind striker Hamdi Salihi.
- De Rosario found good spots all night. And once United took a two-goal lead, he dropped further into midfield, wisely helping his team adjust into possession and game-management mode. United, after all, has another match coming up Saturday, it’s third in eight days. So preserving the legs needed to become the order of the day once a two-goal margin was achieved.
- De Rosario’s third goal this year was a quality finish. And Neal’s ball played right into De Rosario’s stride was just swell. But good heavens the Rapids’ defending was coyote ugly on that sequence.
- The Rapids’ defense, missing center back Marvell Wynne, was a mess most of the night. Matt Pickens’ good work in Colorado goal kept this one as close as it was.
- On the other hand, Pickens looked like he was about to go MMA on a couple of his defenders. Yes, providing information, instruction, communication and a certain amount of motivation is all in a day’s work for goalkeepers. But when it comes to dramatic histrionics, is that really leadership?
- It was close, but Salihi sure looked offside on the home team’s second score.
- Rapids’ rookie forward Tony Cascio has tremendous talent and potential, but his choices on the ball sometimes need quickening.
- Perry Kitchen’s work as a defensive screener for United was quality stuff. He just keeps growing more and more into the position.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”
Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11