May 16, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Balls off Lewis Neal’s left foot set up both D.C. United goals, even if the left-sided midfielder didn’t get official assist props on the second. Overall,all four members of United’s midfield made things difficult on the visitors, who never established much possession or any rhythm to speak of.
Packaged for take-away:
- Conor Casey with his first start in almost a year. Nice to have the big battering ram back. Fewer dull moments with him banging around.
- Casey lasted through the 65th.
- Colorado was supposed to be the well-rested side, but it sure didn’t look that way. Credit D.C. United with a strong effort following a warm Saturday afternoon in Houston and subsequent travel.
- For a team that ostensibly wants to possess the ball, Colorado did look for Casey with long stuff fairly frequently. Again, that’s credit to United’s organized, energetic midfield.
- Dwayne De Rosario, last seen as a midfielder over the weekend, lined up as a second forward in this one, behind striker Hamdi Salihi.
- De Rosario found good spots all night. And once United took a two-goal lead, he dropped further into midfield, wisely helping his team adjust into possession and game-management mode. United, after all, has another match coming up Saturday, it’s third in eight days. So preserving the legs needed to become the order of the day once a two-goal margin was achieved.
- De Rosario’s third goal this year was a quality finish. And Neal’s ball played right into De Rosario’s stride was just swell. But good heavens the Rapids’ defending was coyote ugly on that sequence.
- The Rapids’ defense, missing center back Marvell Wynne, was a mess most of the night. Matt Pickens’ good work in Colorado goal kept this one as close as it was.
- On the other hand, Pickens looked like he was about to go MMA on a couple of his defenders. Yes, providing information, instruction, communication and a certain amount of motivation is all in a day’s work for goalkeepers. But when it comes to dramatic histrionics, is that really leadership?
- It was close, but Salihi sure looked offside on the home team’s second score.
- Rapids’ rookie forward Tony Cascio has tremendous talent and potential, but his choices on the ball sometimes need quickening.
- Perry Kitchen’s work as a defensive screener for United was quality stuff. He just keeps growing more and more into the position.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The Premier League’s big boys each play once more in the USA before heading back to England for the start of the new season.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Afellay makes four ex-Blaugranas on the books at Stoke, where Mark Hughes is aiming for European qualification.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
As Bayern chase their fourth straight Bundesliga title (it would be a first), Mats Hummels says the league’s other teams need to stop fearing them.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Drogba has arrived in MLS, and he even got to choose which team he’ll play for — kinda.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Cyle Larin bagged his first pro hat trick on Sunday, somehow outshining David Villa at Yankee Stadium.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Villa, Giovinco, Finlay and more — this week’s MLS Team of the Week.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
The first of three newly promoted sides, do the Cherries have what it takes to stay in the Premier League?
Jul 27, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
JPW dissects the top deals, discusses which clubs have done the best business and which need to get a shift on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Plenty of preseason action continues out in the Far East.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Can Sherwood rejuvenate Villa and show progress is being made? Losing Benteke and Delph will hurt his chances of doing that.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the soccer world.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT
SWP and BWP in MLS for RBNY.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
El Tri boss could be in a lot of trouble if these reports are true.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
LVG isn’t afraid of telling it like it is. Not at all.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Can the Gunners improve on their third-place finish from last season?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Red Devils sign another goalkeeper as the David de Gea saga rumbles on.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
It’s been an ugly tournament for El Tri, but they showed up ready to play in the finals.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Arsenal won its second preseason trophy, while Romelu Lukaku logged a hat-trick for the Toffees.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
The French youth international impressed in the friendly against Wolfsburg, and Arsene Wenger wants him to stick around the Gunneres’ system.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Banged up Mexico takes on rigid Jamaica in a scintillating Gold Cup final matchup.
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 5
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2