May 16, 2012, 9:32 PM EST
Man of the Match: Balls off Lewis Neal’s left foot set up both D.C. United goals, even if the left-sided midfielder didn’t get official assist props on the second. Overall,all four members of United’s midfield made things difficult on the visitors, who never established much possession or any rhythm to speak of.
Packaged for take-away:
- Conor Casey with his first start in almost a year. Nice to have the big battering ram back. Fewer dull moments with him banging around.
- Casey lasted through the 65th.
- Colorado was supposed to be the well-rested side, but it sure didn’t look that way. Credit D.C. United with a strong effort following a warm Saturday afternoon in Houston and subsequent travel.
- For a team that ostensibly wants to possess the ball, Colorado did look for Casey with long stuff fairly frequently. Again, that’s credit to United’s organized, energetic midfield.
- Dwayne De Rosario, last seen as a midfielder over the weekend, lined up as a second forward in this one, behind striker Hamdi Salihi.
- De Rosario found good spots all night. And once United took a two-goal lead, he dropped further into midfield, wisely helping his team adjust into possession and game-management mode. United, after all, has another match coming up Saturday, it’s third in eight days. So preserving the legs needed to become the order of the day once a two-goal margin was achieved.
- De Rosario’s third goal this year was a quality finish. And Neal’s ball played right into De Rosario’s stride was just swell. But good heavens the Rapids’ defending was coyote ugly on that sequence.
- The Rapids’ defense, missing center back Marvell Wynne, was a mess most of the night. Matt Pickens’ good work in Colorado goal kept this one as close as it was.
- On the other hand, Pickens looked like he was about to go MMA on a couple of his defenders. Yes, providing information, instruction, communication and a certain amount of motivation is all in a day’s work for goalkeepers. But when it comes to dramatic histrionics, is that really leadership?
- It was close, but Salihi sure looked offside on the home team’s second score.
- Rapids’ rookie forward Tony Cascio has tremendous talent and potential, but his choices on the ball sometimes need quickening.
- Perry Kitchen’s work as a defensive screener for United was quality stuff. He just keeps growing more and more into the position.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:37 PM EST
It’s red — lots of red — and “All For One.” Do you dig it?
Feb 26, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
Petr Cech has been in plenty of PK shootouts for Chelsea, but Courtois has never done it.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EST
*sigh* Another MLS team gets hammered in CCL, and we’re (probably) down to one last hope.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
It’s a who’s-who of USMNT, USWNT and MLS stars who are now eligible for the U.S. Soccer HOF.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:51 PM EST
A 550-pound British bomb was found near Dortmund’s stadium on Thursday. That’s a little bit crazy.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
Five years, $300 million — the going rate for prime real estate on a top PL team’s jersey.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:05 PM EST
The Premier League’s nightmare week in European competition continued on Thursday.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
It took kicks to settle the UEFA Europa League tie between Besiktas and Liverpool after both clubs won 1-0 home legs.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
The shots may’ve been even, but Spurs had 2/3 possession for much of the night.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:36 PM EST
Cummings’ manager is backing him up, too, and the Scotland U-19 forward has 11 goals in 23 matches for Hibs this season.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
If you believe the words from Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen on local radio last night, you probably want to prepare for a work stoppage in MLS.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EST
It had to be a terrifying incident for the team, let alone the player.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Kickoff is at 8pm ET, with the return leg in DC on Wednesday.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
Koeman, like many of us, thinks it’s a little wild to keep talking about 2022 in 2015.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 AM EST
Gone for now is the trademark ponytail due to the cancer battle, but Jonas’ spirit has been and will be a big boost for the Magpies.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:25 AM EST
Dunkin’ Donuts has issued an apology after their doctoring of the Liverpool logo offended some fans.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:39 AM EST
Scholes, 40, would be a high-profile move for the Latics, and Oldham says it won’t rush to hire a replacement.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:48 AM EST
He was without a team for a while, exploring other European clubs before deciding to return to New England.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
The midfielder takes a quick dribble and lashes a left-footed shot that pings off the inside of the net and rockets around the back.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EST
The lanky 24-year-old goalkeeper has a contract that runs through the 2016 season and has been a massive part of United’s rise up the table.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7