May 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Just because a match ends 0-0, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot to talk about.
Houston remains unbeaten. Portland isn’t all that upset with the result. And the new stadium still rocks.
Those are the big points on Tuesday’s 0-0 draw down in South Texas, where the Dynamo pitched 180 minutes of shutout soccer inside BBVA.
We already peeled back a few more layers on last night’s match with our Drilling Down element.
Now for the highlights, with a couple of pointers:
- Watch for Troy Perkins’ good work in Portland goal. Twice he shuts down Calen Carr in one-on-one opportunities.
- Clearly, the good fans of Houston are still learning the navigational tricks of on-time arrival through thick Houston traffic. There were lots of empty seats as the match kicked off; it was mostly full by the time this happened …
- Watch for the 81st minute kerplunk just outside Portland’s penalty area. How referee Chris Penso could adjudge that no foul was committed when Futty Danso scythes down Carr, only he could say. Yes, Danso gets a wee little toe on the ball, which may have been enough to keep the Timbers center back from seeing red. But no call at all?Best guess: Penso figured that any whistle at all would need to be a red, so he completely deferred.
- Also study in the highlights to see how far Penso was behind the play. A long ball from Geoff Cameron had everyone chasing the play, and his understandable inability to get caught up with the sequence probably also kept Penso from making a more weighty decision.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Not a huge risk for Arsenal, but certainly a good bit of business for United. Could Welbeck become the next Daniel Sturridge?
Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Jermain Defoe, Danny Welbeck and Hatem Ben Arfa all make one last run through the rumor mill as the deadline draws near.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
McArthur and Fryers arrive at Selhurst Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The Dutch international rejoins his World Cup boss for four seasons at “the biggest club in the world.”
Sep 1, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
What originally was thought to be a steal is turning out to be quite a hit to Manchester United’s wallet.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
AC Milan made the terrible mistake of confirming a deal before it was complete, and now they’re forced to rescind their confirmation.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Time running out for U.S. national team star to seal his move away from Stoke.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Spurs could be back in for Rodriguez, as third bid made for England international.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The biggest deals of the summer listed here.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Reports are exploding that Welbeck’s location lends itself to a shock move to Arsenal, but we’re not so sure.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
It’s the fourth loan spell for Chalobah, who will get his first taste of Premier League play.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
A fee of around $15 million breaks Hull City’s transfer record for a player.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
A season-long move to last year’s relegation threatened squad will see Green get valuable playing experience.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
The 27-year-old midfielder can’t catch a break, as his knee fails him yet again.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Down the depth chart at Spurs, Sandro could be on his way to QPR. Borini would be a backup plan to Jermain Defoe.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 3 in the PL.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Stay up to date with everything happening on Deadline Day with our live ticker.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Rumored to be wanted by Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, the young Italian star will instead stay at his current home.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
There’s going to be plenty of movement today, and the early morning brings us news on Jay Rodriguez, Alvaro Negred, Matija Nastasic, and more.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Manchester United are reportedly close to securing a world-class striker for just $9 million.
- Reports: Arsenal to fork over $26 mil for Manchester United’s Welbeck 0
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 1
- Stoke want to keep USA’s Geoff Cameron, Southampton in the hunt 0
- Tottenham Hotspur offer $26 million plus Andros Townsend for Jay Rodriguez 1
- Julian Green completes loan move to Hamburg 0
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 2