May 16, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Just because a match ends 0-0, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot to talk about.
Houston remains unbeaten. Portland isn’t all that upset with the result. And the new stadium still rocks.
Those are the big points on Tuesday’s 0-0 draw down in South Texas, where the Dynamo pitched 180 minutes of shutout soccer inside BBVA.
We already peeled back a few more layers on last night’s match with our Drilling Down element.
Now for the highlights, with a couple of pointers:
- Watch for Troy Perkins’ good work in Portland goal. Twice he shuts down Calen Carr in one-on-one opportunities.
- Clearly, the good fans of Houston are still learning the navigational tricks of on-time arrival through thick Houston traffic. There were lots of empty seats as the match kicked off; it was mostly full by the time this happened …
- Watch for the 81st minute kerplunk just outside Portland’s penalty area. How referee Chris Penso could adjudge that no foul was committed when Futty Danso scythes down Carr, only he could say. Yes, Danso gets a wee little toe on the ball, which may have been enough to keep the Timbers center back from seeing red. But no call at all?Best guess: Penso figured that any whistle at all would need to be a red, so he completely deferred.
- Also study in the highlights to see how far Penso was behind the play. A long ball from Geoff Cameron had everyone chasing the play, and his understandable inability to get caught up with the sequence probably also kept Penso from making a more weighty decision.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:54 PM EST
Howard doesn’t think Lampard will start the MLS season with NYCFC, although he says he should.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Doneil Henry is reportedly close to joining West Ham, which is a surprise, to say the least.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
After logging lots of miles the last 16 months, Raheem Sterling is going to get a short rest very soon.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
NYCFC won’t be calling the Bronx home, but they’re still hopeful a deal can be done elsewhere in the city.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:13 PM EST
Arsene Wenger says he’s not cheap, and that you should join him for a night out if you don’t believe him.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
Barcelona are keeping things tight in Spain, while Roma are losing sight of Juventus once again.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Four trophies in one calendar year — it’s a good time to be Real Madrid.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:42 PM EST
After collapsing on the field in a game back in July 2013, Engelbrecht had undergone four heart surgeries to get back on the pitch.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:16 PM EST
Things are going to be extra intense all Sunday morning, so put on a pot of coffee and enjoy the rush.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Pep Guardiola’s side carries a gaudy plus-37 goal differential, is 9-0 at home and has five wins and three draws on the road.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Martinez can’t put his finger on Everton’s struggles, but does think his side must defend better.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
Mumbai was the home of the title match, with Atletico de Kolkata knocking off the Kerala Blasters 1-0.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EST
Seven games took place in the PL on Saturday. Here’s videos, analysis, recaps and more.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Benteke dances for space before lashing a curler into the goal to give Villa a 1-0 lead. It’s one of those “Why we watch” goals.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
Match of the Day begins at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC. Watch it live online, here.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Watch Lamela scored a stunning strike to give Spurs another win.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
United captain Wayne Rooney wasn’t interested in discussing his club’s failure to keep up with Manchester City.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Spurs seal third-straight win in all competitions to move up to sixth.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Foxes are six points back of safety and share the worst goal differential in England’s top flight (minus-14).
Dec 20, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Incredible comeback from 2-0 down seals yet another home win for QPR.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0