May 17, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
And to that, I say: Good on ya, mate. Or something equally British and soccer-y.
I’m on the record liking the trade from a NYRB perspective, and I still agree with myself. (Sometimes it gets weird late in the day at the PST office. Like now. Anyhow…) Ultimately, this is a better deal for NYRB.
But… it also presents young Juan with quite an opportunity. Chivas USA is terrible offensively, so he’ll find playing time quickly. Instead of languishing on the bench behind Kenny Cooper and Thierry Henry, he can work out his game on the field. It will be slow. It will be painful, though not as tough as recovering from knee surgery. Ultimately, however, it might be just the thing Agudelo needs to take the next step.
The forward stalled in New York. He has to stay focused, stay hungry, stay prepared at Chivas. He can do that, though, especially with the help of Juan Pablo Angel and Robin Fraser. It’s tough to leave New York, but Los Angeles ain’t such a bad place to be. Especially when the Left Coast offers such massive opportunity.
Agudelo found himself in no man’s land in NYC. Credit him for recognizing the situation and finding a way out. (And credit to Soler and the gang for making it happen.) That’s a mature decision. That maturity will serve him well as he embarks on the next phase of what could — and should — be a very strong career domestically and internationally.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team