May 17, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
Just like PST’s Noah Davis, who has picked out a few volumes from his personal corner of knowledge on this matter, I really like the trade for both New York and Chivas USA. A few more points to consider on today’s blockbuster.
- Juan Agudelo needs to play; it’s up to him to convince Chivas USA boss Robin Fraser that he deserves the starts.
- Heath Pearce will be an upgrade at either outside back spot at Red Bull Arena. He’s a better defender than Jan Gunnar Solli on the right and a better option all around that Roy Miller on the left.
- Red Bulls boss Hans Backe certainly isn’t afraid of the big trade. The swap to get Kenny Cooper from Portland probably was Major League Soccer’s biggest off-season trade. Today’s move is easily the biggest trade since games began 11 weeks ago.
- The three-headed swap works for Chivas USA because they get a quality center back (Danny Califf) to replace a stop-gap center back. Pearce is a very good fullback in MLS, among the league’s best passers coming out of the back. But as a center back he’s simply not an upper echelon player. He’s not bad, but not special.
- Pearce is obviously best as a left back, but don’t forget he helped Dallas get to an MLS Cup as a right back in 2010. (Pearce was hurt through the playoffs that year, but he helped Dallas get into the playoffs, for sure.)
- Pearce was somewhat surplus at Chivas USA, although very good surplus. Ante Jazic is established at left back (Pearce’s best spot) and James Riley is a solid right back in the league. (Which is all why Pearce was asked to play centrally.)
- Agudelo and Juan Pablo Angel together? How very Back to the Future of them.
The Red Bulls have a 4 p.m. ET media conference call with GM Erik Soler to talk about today’s developments.
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 23
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 2
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (23)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team