May 17, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Back for a second week, it’s Overlooked and Underloved. Here’s what to watch while the rest of the world is taking in Vancouver Whitecaps-Seattle Sounders, Montreal-NYRB, and the Galaxy-Chivas clasico featuring Juan Agudelo:
Colorado Rapids hosting Sporting Kansas City
To the bulletpoints, please:
- The Rapids are terribly inconsistent — alternating wins and losses in their last five, including a mid-week butt-whipping by D.C. United — but 3-1 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park with a +7 goal differential.
- Speaking of goal differential, the Rapids +1 ranks 7th in the league, despite the squad’s 5th place standing the Western Conference. SKC’s +6 ties them for 5th. Point is: These teams are good.
- Can you say playoff revenge? Sporting KC defeated the Rapids 4-0 during a two-leg playoff in 2011.
- SKC won 7 straight, then lost 3 in a row. They need to pull out of the tailspin. If they don’t, Peter Vermes’ head might explode, which will also be worth watching.
- Between the teams, 28 goals over 21 games. Not San Jose Earthquakes style, but there will be action.
- If it were up to us, this would totally be a Rivalry Cup? It’s totally drivable.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games