May 17, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of Note: Former U.S. international Eddie Lewis turns 38 today. Two World Cups (2002 and 2006)? Yeah, not too bad at all.
Ahead on the blog today*: Some U.S. Open Cup thoughts, and we’ll keep the Kenny Dalglish pot simmering for a while, too.
What we should all be watching on TV: Monterrey and Santos meet in the first-leg of their Mexican league final (9:50 pm ET, Telefutura). Warm-up for it by catching the Women’s Champions League final, Lyon vs. Frankfurt (Noon ET, GolTV)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Diego Gutiérrez
Twitter daps: D.C. United midfielder Perry Kitchen (@PerryKitchen23): Great win! Awesome effort from everyone. On to the next one.
Journalist Kyle McCarthy (@kylejmccarthy): That scurrying sound you hear? MLS sides scurrying to make contingency plans for USOC. Great competition, but a logistical headache.
PST background noise while blogging today: KEXP out of Seattle
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago