May 17, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
Permit me to step away from the news for a second. A friend sent me this picture yesterday of himself and his baby boy at a Seattle Sounders game. It got me thinking about the future of American soccer. Ladies and gentlemen, we’re in good hands.
My friend never went to a soccer game before moving to Seattle. Now, he talks about the Sounders nonstop. He even started bringing his child — earphones and all — to matches. You better believe that boy will grow up a fan of the beautiful game.
Drew Carey and the gang did something important in Seattle: They built an environment that works for all kinds of diehards. This isn’t new news, but the ramifications are perhaps overlooked. We can talk all we want about the need for soccer-specific stadiums (and I totally agree), but what we really mean is we need incredible soccer environments. Seattle has one. Montreal has one. Portland has one. Etc. Etc. Now Houston has one with the opening of BBVA Compass Stadium, making 6 soccer-specifics in 2 years. They are spreading around MLS.
One big advantage of MLS is the price. It’s significantly cheaper than other sporting events, both for individuals and for families. The key is getting people to go once, then return again.
The point here is the future of the game in the United States is tied to the future of the country as a whole: The Kids. The sport needs to win them over early and that happens on an individual experience level. Last weekend’s fantastic EPL finish was great for the game in the US, but that excitement only lasts so long (and comes once every, well, basically never). Going to a game with an incredible atmosphere will keep kids and their families coming back, even if they were not soccer fans initially.
Just ask my buddy’s kid. You know, as soon as he learns to talk.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public