May 18, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
When I first heard that FC Dallas winger Brek Shea was being suspended for three matches for doing something that didn’t injure someone (a la Rafa Marquez), threaten harm in any meaningful way or spark a full-fledged donnybrook (Rafa Marquez), I thought it sounded a little harsh.
But on second thought, that’s about right. One game for what he actually did – and two more for being a straight-up goofball.
I mean, who kicks the ball at a game official?
Shea did. Flicking a ball at moderate speed at a referee’s assistant when a call didn’t go his way.
The talented FC Dallas youngster didn’t do so to inflict harm; he did it out of frustration. But that hardly matters. You just don’t do something like that, and a U.S. international should certainly know better.
As for FC Dallas, here’s the accounting on this current run of nincompoopery: The club plays six MLS matches in May. If Shea serves the suspension in this time, they will have played every one with either a player ejected (so, a man or two down) or with key members suspended for being previously ejected. Or, of course, for kicking a ball at a referee’s assistant.
If Shea is summoned into Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team (likely, but no slam dunk based on dipped form), he’ll have to serve the three-game ban upon MLS return in about a month.
Here’s the incident:
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 1
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final