May 20, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
Here are the immediate, important points to consider as Jurgen Klinsmann has released the final 11 names from his Orlando training camp. This 27-man selection will be culled to 23 before three friendlies and a pair of World Cup qualifiers.
So, here goes …
- The most significant omissions are Bolton center back Tim Ream, FC Dallas winger Brek Shea, New England midfielder Benny Feilhaber and Anderlecht midfielder Sacha Kljestan.
- Ream and Shea are somewhat surprising. You can’t say as much about Feilhaber, nor about Kljestan. Feilhaber didn’t appear in the last two U.S. matches. And Kljestan simply hasn’t been a Klinsmann fixture over the last 9 months, with only sporadic appearances.
- I know Kljestan’s omission has some folks in a twist, and fair enough. But it simply cannot be that much of a surprise. You may think the Anderlecht man should be on the roster, and that’s OK. But did you really expect it? Little has happened to indicate that it would. Based on the relative strength of the position (he’s a holding midfielder in Anderlecht’s 4-2-3-1) and based on Klinsmann’s past call-ups, it was always something of a longshot.
- Shea’s omission is and isn’t surprising. On the one hand, the left-winger has been a Klinsmann staple over the last nine months. But Shea isn’t performing at top rev at the moment, and last week’s silly stunt surely didn’t help. (A goofball bit that cost the FCD man a three-game MLS suspension.)
- Without Shea, things look a little narrow on this roster. Landon Donovan is the closest thing here to a true “wide” man. Michael Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Jose Torres, Danny Williams and Graham Zusi have played wide internationally before, but mostly as guys who tend to (and generally prefer to) tuck inside.
- Edgar Castillo? Personally, I don’t see it. The coach obviously sees something many of us don’t.
- Terrence Boyd’s presence may surprise some, seeing as he remains a reserve for Borussia Dortmund. Then again, he’s already been capped, so perhaps it’s not a big shocker.
- Chris Wondolowski (pictured) and Herculez Gomez are proof that form matters – in most cases, at least. The omissions of Shea and Edson Buddle are also demonstrations that the coach will continue to weigh current capacity to get the job done.
- Landon Donovan? No, he’s not performing well at the moment for the Galaxy – but who is? Donovan has earned some benefit of the doubt in my book. That is, he can still be a difference maker in certain moments. So I have no problem with bringing the L.A. attacker into the 27-man camp, at very least. The coaches can see where it goes from there. Besides, experience at this level counts, and Donovan certainly has that, now into his second decade with the U.S. national team.
The team will train in Orlando until May 25, when Klinsmann will select a final 23-man roster. The American are schedule to depart then for Jacksonville, for May 26 friendly against Scotland (8 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network, Galavision).
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Picking matches in the Premier League is darn near impossible but somebody has to do it.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
“Right now the media are getting AVB to do exactly what they want him to do, which is react and get upset,” Martino said.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
Chicago Fire forward Mike Magee was voted the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2013 season.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
EXCLUSIVE — Howard and Bradley agree huge task awaits in Brazil, but progress past the quarterfinal stage is still the aim:
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
Pele’s reluctance to help draw the balls stems from his reputation in Brazil as a ‘pe-fri’, or ‘cold foot’.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
“I can’t really see women in football. I don’t like to say it but that’s how it is,” Gattuso said.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
“The impact of one of the studs on the thigh bone in the right leg has caused extensive hemorrhaging,” the Bayern doctor said.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:59 AM EST
In this article we provide everything you need to know about Friday’s World Cup Draw.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:18 AM EST
An alternative look at all the PL action from match day 14:
Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Four weeks ago, Benny Feilhaber wasn’t starting for Kansas City. Now, the former U.S. international’s experiencing a postseason revival.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
Nine matches. 32 goals. All in one place.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Olave, Johnson, and Espindola left, but despite what this year’s narrative said, RSL didn’t rebuild. They merely reloaded.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
What do you remember about the team’s penalty kick win over the LA Galaxy?
Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
Peter Vermes’ MLS Cup finalist can still press and pressure – but there are more winning ways in the playbook now:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Back at RFK at the turn of the new Millennium, staunch defense helped KC to its one and only MLS Cup:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Arsenal stays four clear while Everton sparks debate as to whether they upgraded after David Moyes’ departure.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Moyes says lack of “fortune” hurt United after Red Devils lose yet another home game:
Dec 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
The visitors hit Southampton with quick breaks, coming away with a win and proving that possession is, in fact, just nine-tenths of the law.
West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Two from Yaya Touré and an opener from Kun Agüero helped City address their road demons.
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)