May 20, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
Here are the immediate, important points to consider as Jurgen Klinsmann has released the final 11 names from his Orlando training camp. This 27-man selection will be culled to 23 before three friendlies and a pair of World Cup qualifiers.
So, here goes …
- The most significant omissions are Bolton center back Tim Ream, FC Dallas winger Brek Shea, New England midfielder Benny Feilhaber and Anderlecht midfielder Sacha Kljestan.
- Ream and Shea are somewhat surprising. You can’t say as much about Feilhaber, nor about Kljestan. Feilhaber didn’t appear in the last two U.S. matches. And Kljestan simply hasn’t been a Klinsmann fixture over the last 9 months, with only sporadic appearances.
- I know Kljestan’s omission has some folks in a twist, and fair enough. But it simply cannot be that much of a surprise. You may think the Anderlecht man should be on the roster, and that’s OK. But did you really expect it? Little has happened to indicate that it would. Based on the relative strength of the position (he’s a holding midfielder in Anderlecht’s 4-2-3-1) and based on Klinsmann’s past call-ups, it was always something of a longshot.
- Shea’s omission is and isn’t surprising. On the one hand, the left-winger has been a Klinsmann staple over the last nine months. But Shea isn’t performing at top rev at the moment, and last week’s silly stunt surely didn’t help. (A goofball bit that cost the FCD man a three-game MLS suspension.)
- Without Shea, things look a little narrow on this roster. Landon Donovan is the closest thing here to a true “wide” man. Michael Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Jose Torres, Danny Williams and Graham Zusi have played wide internationally before, but mostly as guys who tend to (and generally prefer to) tuck inside.
- Edgar Castillo? Personally, I don’t see it. The coach obviously sees something many of us don’t.
- Terrence Boyd’s presence may surprise some, seeing as he remains a reserve for Borussia Dortmund. Then again, he’s already been capped, so perhaps it’s not a big shocker.
- Chris Wondolowski (pictured) and Herculez Gomez are proof that form matters – in most cases, at least. The omissions of Shea and Edson Buddle are also demonstrations that the coach will continue to weigh current capacity to get the job done.
- Landon Donovan? No, he’s not performing well at the moment for the Galaxy – but who is? Donovan has earned some benefit of the doubt in my book. That is, he can still be a difference maker in certain moments. So I have no problem with bringing the L.A. attacker into the 27-man camp, at very least. The coaches can see where it goes from there. Besides, experience at this level counts, and Donovan certainly has that, now into his second decade with the U.S. national team.
The team will train in Orlando until May 25, when Klinsmann will select a final 23-man roster. The American are schedule to depart then for Jacksonville, for May 26 friendly against Scotland (8 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network, Galavision).
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
The European Club Association includes at least one club from every nation in UEFA and includes Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2