May 20, 2012, 10:32 AM EST
Before Saturday night, the worst MLS start by a defending champion after 11 games was by the Houston Dynamo, who had just 14 points in 2008. (That was from a 3-3-5 record.)
But today, we have a new, uh … winner?
Whatever you call it, the champs are in trouble.
Bruce Arena’s team begins the day 8th of 9th Western Conference teams. L.A. is 3-6-2, with just 11 points from 11 matches. One point per game on average will not be enough to make the playoffs.
If Portland wins today at home, Arena’s men will find themselves at very bottom – a shocking state for a side that lifted an MLS trophy just six months ago.
And don’t look now, but things are about to get worse.
That’s because Robbie Keane, who sat out last night’s loss to Chivas USA with a hamstring strain, will now go to Europe, joining up with Ireland’s best for Euro 2012. He’ll be back in late June, earliest.
Landon Donovan presumable will join the U.S. camp in Orlando on Monday. In his case, Donovan may miss just two league matches, thanks to Major League Soccer’s schedule break through early June. Still, points will be increasingly precious, and Donovan’s presence remains large, even in a muted season for him.
The Galaxy’s next match is against San Jose, currently second place in the West and enjoying its best campaign in years. Arena’s team will be without center back David Junior Lopes, who was ejected from Saturday’s loss and must sit out one more contest.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season