May 20, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Before Saturday night, the worst MLS start by a defending champion after 11 games was by the Houston Dynamo, who had just 14 points in 2008. (That was from a 3-3-5 record.)
But today, we have a new, uh … winner?
Whatever you call it, the champs are in trouble.
Bruce Arena’s team begins the day 8th of 9th Western Conference teams. L.A. is 3-6-2, with just 11 points from 11 matches. One point per game on average will not be enough to make the playoffs.
If Portland wins today at home, Arena’s men will find themselves at very bottom – a shocking state for a side that lifted an MLS trophy just six months ago.
And don’t look now, but things are about to get worse.
That’s because Robbie Keane, who sat out last night’s loss to Chivas USA with a hamstring strain, will now go to Europe, joining up with Ireland’s best for Euro 2012. He’ll be back in late June, earliest.
Landon Donovan presumable will join the U.S. camp in Orlando on Monday. In his case, Donovan may miss just two league matches, thanks to Major League Soccer’s schedule break through early June. Still, points will be increasingly precious, and Donovan’s presence remains large, even in a muted season for him.
The Galaxy’s next match is against San Jose, currently second place in the West and enjoying its best campaign in years. Arena’s team will be without center back David Junior Lopes, who was ejected from Saturday’s loss and must sit out one more contest.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public