May 20, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT
The well-traveled David Beckham did play on Saturday, after all.
Just not very much.
Beckham’s 74th–minute introduction was just one of the fascinating subplots Saturday as the Galaxy and Chivas USA renewed their rivalry, the Home Depot Center derby – albeit one that’s lost some sheen, in all honesty.
The league’s brightest star couldn’t get enough going as his team fell – continues to fall – to rival Chivas USA, 1-0.
Beckham, remember, traveled extensively for MLS games last week, then jetted over to Greece and then into England as part of the Olympic torch ceremonies. He got into Los Angeles on Saturday afternoon, in time for the evening kickoff but surely not equipped with sufficient vim and vigor to play a full 90.
Beckham did manufacture a couple of dangerous minutes as the Galaxy, reduced to 10 after David Junior Lopes’ ejection for a hand ball along the Los Angeles goal line, tried desperately to rally.
Beckham’s best moment: one of his signature, projectile passes bound for Chad Barrett about 50-yards away very nearly produced an equalizer. Danny Califf, debuting along the Chivas back line needed to be quick and precise to intercede in that one.
Later, a Beckham free kick from a dangerous spot (usually when Beckham is at his very best) lacked zip and fell short of the targets.
More talking points on this game later. For now, here are the Galaxy-Chivas USA highlights.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public