May 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EST
The stories are rolling out of West London like shiny new autos off the Detroit assembly line.
Chelsea captain John Terry says the Blues’ Champions League triumph isn’t the end of an era, but rather the beginning. That may be, but the current roster isn’t “beginning” anything. Terry (31), Ashley Cole (31), Frank Lampard (33) and Didier Drogba (34) are the backbone of the squad, along with a couple of other key figures.
When the “backbone” goes 30-something on you, it’s increasingly brittle, obviously.
Of course, there’s the ongoing saga of manager Roberto Di Matteo, who certainly deserves to hear of his fate at Stamford Bridge, one way or the other. If Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich still doesn’t think the man has done enough to inherit the manager’s chair a little while longer, a sentiment that certainly seems unwise at this point, there would presumably be takers lining up at Di Matteo’s door.
And of course there is a momentous decision ahead from man-of-the-moment striker Drogba, who may be on the move to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua – the club that recently signed former Chelsea man Nicolas Anelka.
The hitch, as Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck explained to The Independent: ”We really need to get the new manager on board before we can start talking about players.”
So we draw the circle back up to Di Matteo.
Clearly, things will remain interesting around Stamford Bridge for a few more days.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park