May 21, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
With apologies to Teal Bunbury, Saer Sene and Dwayne De Rosario, a trio of worthy two-goal scorers for their teams over the weekend – and really big apologies to De Rosario for notching three over a pair of Round 11 MLS matches – we’re gonna zig were some others have zagged on MLS Player of the Week.
D.C. United is on top of its game at the moment, and “De Ro” is certainly a big part of it. But could United have taken down visiting Colorado and Toronto FC without the fine contributions from their playmaker and goal scorer? Probably.
Maybe not so with Portland and goalkeeper Troy Perkins, who was outstanding over two matches for the Timers.
His good work in goal helped preserve Portland’s 0-0 draw at Houston in mid-week. And more of the same helped the Timbers nurse home a 2-1 win Sunday at home over Chicago.
His best save against Chicago is here …
And then the best of his excellent, seven-save night down in Houston last week is here, as Perkins hustles quickly into position for a second time to close space on Calen Carr in a one-on-one …
Past ProSoccerTalk Players of the Week
Round 1: Kalif Alhassan, Portland
Round 2: David Estrada, Seattle
Round 3: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 4: Thierry Henry, New York
Round 5: Kenny Cooper, New York
Round 6: Aurelien Collin, Sporting Kansas City
Round 7: D.C. United’s Chris Pontius
Round 8: New York’s Dax McCarty
Round 9: San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski
Round 10: New England’s Lee Nguyen
Round 10: Portland’s Troy Perkins
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public