May 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – The worst team in the league, with the worst start in league history, went down by a goal in under a minute and went on to lose at D.C. United. If you want to read any more about TFC, see the comment in this very spot (at No. 19) one week ago. Or two weeks ago. Or three weeks ago …
18. FC Dallas – Last win from men of North Texas: eight games back (at home against expansion Montreal, no less.) Few teams will benefit from the coming break like Dallas, who might get some starters back and could even see progress in getting David Ferreira back to health.
17. Philadelphia Union – Peter Nowak talked up his club’s 1-1 draw at Dallas, sufficiently pleased with a road draw after the trade-related uproar and upheaval. Considering no Zac MacMath and no Freddy Adu, splitting points probably does represent worthy achievement.
16. Portland Timbers – Troy Perkins needed to be a superhero Avenger in goal, but the bottom line still reads the same: a draw at Houston and a win at home against Chicago, so who cares? John Spencer’s team is undefeated (1-0-2) with just one goal allowed in May.
15. Columbus Crew – Robert Warzycha’s team came tantalizing close to a win at San Jose, a result to build on, for sure. But a 90th-minute equalizer left the men of yellow feeling a little conflicted about their night at Buck Shaw. Andy Gruenebaum’s continued steady work in goal hit a high point in this one.
14. Montréal Impact – From SportsNet in Canada: Few tears will be shed for the cavernous “Big O,” with its poor amenities, acoustics and, from all accounts, the league’s worst turf. Suffice to say, the team’s ready for a fresh start in the renovated Saputo Stadium. Yes, the expansion club has finished its stay in temporary quarters; they surely wanted a better “see ya later” than a 2-1 loss to New York, especially considering the home team had a man advantage for half an hour.
13. Los Angeles Galaxy – You just have to love Bruce Arena’s candid ways. (Well, he’s candid in spurts, anyway.) Is the Galaxy manager worried over losing Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan for a big stretch over the next month or so? Nah. He said, in effect, that Los Angeles isn’t winning much with them anyway, so what’s the big deal?
Jul 4, 2015, 11:23 PM EDT
On a day where Laura Bassett showed great resolve, England won over many neutrals.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The U.S. hasn’t given up a goal in 513 minutes at this World Cup, heading into the final against Japan.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Kei Kamara -> Ethan Finlay (x2) was all Crew SC needed to jump three places in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Eduaro Vargas and Paolo Guerrero beat all the big names to the 2015 Copa America top scorer’s award.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
The solidarity between Japan teammates — and between the two teams contesting the final — is remarkable.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
It took 99 years, but Chile are finally champions of South America after defeating Argentina in a penalty shootout.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Steven Gerrard is winning points with LA Galaxy supporters before ever stepping on the field for his new club.
Jul 4, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Regulars in the latter stages of the Champions League, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid continue their summer spending sprees.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
We go once more at the 2015 Copa America. This time it’s Argentina vs. Chile for all the marbles.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
Carli Lloyd has taken rightfully taken over the spotlight, but Morgan Brian’s supporting role is no less important.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
Croatia’s most successful club has seen police throw its president and manager in prison.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Popularity of women’s soccer has improved greatly the past few years, but there’s still much work to be done, and the US international isn’t happy with FIFAs parading of accomplishments.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
With the Dutchman set to turn 32 before the start of the league season, Manchester United may look to cash in on his star power after a down year.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:22 AM EDT
The German international didn’t get a first-team guarantee from Arsene Wenger, so he moved on.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Stoke had an offer accepted by Inter, but two more clubs are reportedly in the mix for the Swiss international.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
Argentina looks to end a 22-year continental trophy drought against the hosts who have never won the Copa America.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:56 AM EDT
Your transfer activity on this July 4 morning.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Tyrone Mears scored an absolute beauty late in the match to down a ten-man D.C. United.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
The English defender is still getting over the heartbreak of an own goal.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4