May 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – The worst team in the league, with the worst start in league history, went down by a goal in under a minute and went on to lose at D.C. United. If you want to read any more about TFC, see the comment in this very spot (at No. 19) one week ago. Or two weeks ago. Or three weeks ago …
18. FC Dallas – Last win from men of North Texas: eight games back (at home against expansion Montreal, no less.) Few teams will benefit from the coming break like Dallas, who might get some starters back and could even see progress in getting David Ferreira back to health.
17. Philadelphia Union – Peter Nowak talked up his club’s 1-1 draw at Dallas, sufficiently pleased with a road draw after the trade-related uproar and upheaval. Considering no Zac MacMath and no Freddy Adu, splitting points probably does represent worthy achievement.
16. Portland Timbers – Troy Perkins needed to be a superhero Avenger in goal, but the bottom line still reads the same: a draw at Houston and a win at home against Chicago, so who cares? John Spencer’s team is undefeated (1-0-2) with just one goal allowed in May.
15. Columbus Crew – Robert Warzycha’s team came tantalizing close to a win at San Jose, a result to build on, for sure. But a 90th-minute equalizer left the men of yellow feeling a little conflicted about their night at Buck Shaw. Andy Gruenebaum’s continued steady work in goal hit a high point in this one.
14. Montréal Impact – From SportsNet in Canada: Few tears will be shed for the cavernous “Big O,” with its poor amenities, acoustics and, from all accounts, the league’s worst turf. Suffice to say, the team’s ready for a fresh start in the renovated Saputo Stadium. Yes, the expansion club has finished its stay in temporary quarters; they surely wanted a better “see ya later” than a 2-1 loss to New York, especially considering the home team had a man advantage for half an hour.
13. Los Angeles Galaxy – You just have to love Bruce Arena’s candid ways. (Well, he’s candid in spurts, anyway.) Is the Galaxy manager worried over losing Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan for a big stretch over the next month or so? Nah. He said, in effect, that Los Angeles isn’t winning much with them anyway, so what’s the big deal?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:42 AM EDT
NBCSN games on Friday, Sunday highlight a nine-match weekend in the domestic league.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The Nerazzurri icon moves to the East Midlands after 10 years at the San Siro.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
An arm to the back of Chad Marshall’s head earns the Timber’s center back a weekend off.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Columbus, Sporting, Vancouver connected with a possible return.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In 2010, a series of young Americans looked prime for breakthroughs. Their experience reminds up: Four years is a long way off.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Our first Power Rankings of the 2014-15 season. What do you think?
Aug 28, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Rubio Rubin, Joe Gyau, and Emerson Hyndman are among the roster’s most-intriguing prospects for 2018.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Jenna, JPW and Prindi break down Di Maria to United, Balotelli to Liverpool and Chelsea’s tough trip to Everton.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
A striker from Stanford could become the first collegian in the MLS era to play for the USA. Who is he?
Aug 28, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Four top teams in the hunt for Falcao. Will they cough up the cash for a loan deal?
Aug 28, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Klinsmann selects Stanford forward, several American youngsters based in Europe for Czech Republic clash.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Can Arsenal and Man City navigate tough UCL groups, again?
Aug 28, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Ronaldo named ‘best player in Europe’ for outstanding 2013-14 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The eight groups are set as the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League will kick off next month.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Louis van Gaal delighted, yet realistic, as Di Maria speaks for the first time as a United player.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Galaxy win third-straight, go second in the West as Donovan continues to shine during elongated swansong.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Chicharito on the move to Italy or Spain?
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
We continue our look at what each PL team needs to do in the final few days of the window.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
All the details you need to know, as the UCL group stage draw takes place on Thursday.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 0
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 2
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1