May 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – The worst team in the league, with the worst start in league history, went down by a goal in under a minute and went on to lose at D.C. United. If you want to read any more about TFC, see the comment in this very spot (at No. 19) one week ago. Or two weeks ago. Or three weeks ago …
18. FC Dallas – Last win from men of North Texas: eight games back (at home against expansion Montreal, no less.) Few teams will benefit from the coming break like Dallas, who might get some starters back and could even see progress in getting David Ferreira back to health.
17. Philadelphia Union – Peter Nowak talked up his club’s 1-1 draw at Dallas, sufficiently pleased with a road draw after the trade-related uproar and upheaval. Considering no Zac MacMath and no Freddy Adu, splitting points probably does represent worthy achievement.
16. Portland Timbers – Troy Perkins needed to be a superhero Avenger in goal, but the bottom line still reads the same: a draw at Houston and a win at home against Chicago, so who cares? John Spencer’s team is undefeated (1-0-2) with just one goal allowed in May.
15. Columbus Crew – Robert Warzycha’s team came tantalizing close to a win at San Jose, a result to build on, for sure. But a 90th-minute equalizer left the men of yellow feeling a little conflicted about their night at Buck Shaw. Andy Gruenebaum’s continued steady work in goal hit a high point in this one.
14. Montréal Impact – From SportsNet in Canada: Few tears will be shed for the cavernous “Big O,” with its poor amenities, acoustics and, from all accounts, the league’s worst turf. Suffice to say, the team’s ready for a fresh start in the renovated Saputo Stadium. Yes, the expansion club has finished its stay in temporary quarters; they surely wanted a better “see ya later” than a 2-1 loss to New York, especially considering the home team had a man advantage for half an hour.
13. Los Angeles Galaxy – You just have to love Bruce Arena’s candid ways. (Well, he’s candid in spurts, anyway.) Is the Galaxy manager worried over losing Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan for a big stretch over the next month or so? Nah. He said, in effect, that Los Angeles isn’t winning much with them anyway, so what’s the big deal?
Aug 31, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Harry Redknapp was the ultimate star of transfer deadline day. Tuesday will be a sad, empty day without Harry around.
Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial
Aug 31, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
Manchester United were the world’s busiest football club on Monday. They, along with others, made headlines ahead of the transfer deadline.
NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late
Aug 31, 2015, 6:53 PM EDT
Manchester United failed to submit the necessary paperwork before Spain’s transfer deadline, and De Gea will not move to Real Madrid.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Two goals, one assist in a 3-0 victory over your club’s most hated rivals — more than enough to win POTW honors.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Two Bradleys, two from Crew SC and two from the Dynamo — the latest MLS Team of the Week.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Yes, rumors know no season, but the transfer mill will churn out a lot less gossip after Tuesday’s end of the summer transfer season.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Manchester United and Real Madrid have swapped goalkeepers, with the Premier League side landing a load of dough, too.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
The UEFA Champions League clubs don’t find themselves well-represented in the Premier League Team of the Week after a weekend of shocks around Britain.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
We’re still waiting to see whether Javier Hernandez seals his move to Bayer Leverkusen. “Chicharito” has been spotted around Bayer HQ.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The Black Panther is doing more than simply prowling; He is finishing his chances with style.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
The 2006 World Cup champion will organize Miami FC for co-owner Paolo Maldini during the club’s first season in the NASL.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look back at the PL weekend.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
It looks like we’re headed for a bonkers Transfer Deadline Day on Tuesday, and a trio of Premier League teams might be doing some under-the-radar business on Monday.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
With the transfer deadline approaching its Tuesday conclusion, deals and rumored deals are hitting the headlines at a head-spinning rate.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
This Little Pea went to market, reportedly finding a new home in the Bundesliga (And did he really ask for $135k per goal from West Ham?).
Aug 31, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
The French federation says Martial was given permission to leave camp by Didier Deschamps, and that he’ll sign a contract with United.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
A complete performance from the Red Bulls, who will finish the season unbeaten against their Atlantic Cup rivals.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Find out what moves have been completed with the transfer deadline approaching, as Wolfsburg made three big deals today.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
More than 64,000 supporters packed CenturyLink Field as the Sounders downed the Timbers in a Cascadia Cup clash.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1