May 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
(Parts II and III are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – The worst team in the league, with the worst start in league history, went down by a goal in under a minute and went on to lose at D.C. United. If you want to read any more about TFC, see the comment in this very spot (at No. 19) one week ago. Or two weeks ago. Or three weeks ago …
18. FC Dallas – Last win from men of North Texas: eight games back (at home against expansion Montreal, no less.) Few teams will benefit from the coming break like Dallas, who might get some starters back and could even see progress in getting David Ferreira back to health.
17. Philadelphia Union – Peter Nowak talked up his club’s 1-1 draw at Dallas, sufficiently pleased with a road draw after the trade-related uproar and upheaval. Considering no Zac MacMath and no Freddy Adu, splitting points probably does represent worthy achievement.
16. Portland Timbers – Troy Perkins needed to be a superhero Avenger in goal, but the bottom line still reads the same: a draw at Houston and a win at home against Chicago, so who cares? John Spencer’s team is undefeated (1-0-2) with just one goal allowed in May.
15. Columbus Crew – Robert Warzycha’s team came tantalizing close to a win at San Jose, a result to build on, for sure. But a 90th-minute equalizer left the men of yellow feeling a little conflicted about their night at Buck Shaw. Andy Gruenebaum’s continued steady work in goal hit a high point in this one.
14. Montréal Impact – From SportsNet in Canada: Few tears will be shed for the cavernous “Big O,” with its poor amenities, acoustics and, from all accounts, the league’s worst turf. Suffice to say, the team’s ready for a fresh start in the renovated Saputo Stadium. Yes, the expansion club has finished its stay in temporary quarters; they surely wanted a better “see ya later” than a 2-1 loss to New York, especially considering the home team had a man advantage for half an hour.
13. Los Angeles Galaxy – You just have to love Bruce Arena’s candid ways. (Well, he’s candid in spurts, anyway.) Is the Galaxy manager worried over losing Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan for a big stretch over the next month or so? Nah. He said, in effect, that Los Angeles isn’t winning much with them anyway, so what’s the big deal?
Jul 31, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Young Americans set to blaze trail in La Liga academies.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
San Lorenzo is in Copa’s finals, but Piatti is unlikely to join them.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Two players who spent plenty of time on the sidelines last season are pushing to be integral parts of Manuel Pellegrini’s plans.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
29-year-old Argentina arrives from Tigre, becoming the club’s third Designated Player of all-time.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Everton’s frugality gave way to necessity. Is Lukaku worth it the serious cash they splashed?
Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Remember when Marco Reus, Dries Mertens and Leighton Baines solidified Manchester United’s status in Europe? Us neither.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo and Christopher Renzi are looking horns over the CR7 trademark.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Guillermo Ochoa starred in the 2014 World Cup for Mexico, and now will try to fill Willy Caballero’s shoes at Malaga.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
As deadly virus continues to spread, the Seychelles refuse to let Sierra Leone travel for qualifier.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Seydou Keita has left Barcelona, but being in a different league has not stopped the animosity between the AS Roma midfielder and Real Madrid’s Pepe.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
Gerrard: “With all due respect to them, I said to Suarez that he was too good for Arsenal.”
Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said several Premier League teams had interest in 19-year-old American striker Julian Green.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Ching said his former USMNT teammate needs incentive-laden contracts to thrive, while Johnson claims Ching is jealous.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Jermaine Jones is not the only US midfielder rumored to come home, while two Red Devils are tipped for Madrid.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
An altercation between a player and referee in a men’s league game left the official dead. What followed has been anything but pretty.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The World Cup praise has been flowing for Klinsmann in international circles, though American analysts like Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda and others have condemned the manager’s approach as too cautious.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Neymar’s health could be the key to whether Barcelona can weather the Luis Suarez suspension in pursuit of La Liga’s title.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
The Red Devils’ owners are making more of the club public following the death of patriarch Malcolm, and the club could lose adidas money if on-field success doesn’t return.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:51 AM EDT
Since putting in a good effort for the USMNT at the World Cup, Jones had been sorting out his next career move and partying with celebrities like Paris Hilton and Mike Tyson.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 4
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4