May 22, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
12. Colorado Rapids – Things aren’t going to move in the right direction around Dick’s Sporting Goods Park until speedy center back Marvell Wynne returns – or until management finds a better fill-in center back than Tyrone Marshall, who simply isn’t cutting it. Witness the goals in Saturday’s 2-2 draw at home with Sporting Kansas City.
11. New England Revolution – From forward Ryan Guy following Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Houston: “I think it’s great to be disappointed with a draw. I think last year we would have been satisfied with a draw, and this year we’re absolutely not.” Sounds like a team moving in the right direction.
10. Chivas USA – When putting a dent in the Galaxy’s dominance in the Home Depot Center derby is darn near reduced to sidebar status, you know a lot is going on. Danny Califf and Juan Agudelo, two pieces in the league’s big trade news last week, had their debuts in the 1-0 win over Los Angeles.
9. Vancouver Whitecaps – Good sides close out matches when holding a late lead at home. The Whitecaps are a young organization, still in growth mode, of course. So now reason to fret too much over conceding a late equalizer Saturday to rival Seattle – but let’s not make that a recurring bit, eh, guys?
8. Chicago Fire – A few Fire men were grumbling about the small field in Portland. And we get it; they really do need a few more square yards on the one-bedroom apartment of a surface area – but that’s not the only reason Frank Klopas’ men fell at Jeld-Wen, 2-1. The good news for Chicago: there Toyota Park field is plenty spacious, and they’ll be on the big spread for Wednesday’s home match against Dallas.
7. Sporting Kansas City – After three losses, a draw at Colorado might help Peter Vermes’ previous high-fliers get back on high-flier track. Then again, they did lose a two-goal lead in that one, and that won’t make anyone happy around Livestrong Sporting Park. Defender Aurelien Collin can help the cause by regaining April form.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Bit of a surprise for Barca, as Cesc Fabregas makes his way into the lineup for Pedro.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The suspension is the same length as the one received by Liverpool attacker Luis Suarez for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
Beasley signed a new deal at Puebla this summer, but what good is a contract if it isn’t getting fulfilled?
Mar 12, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
There’s a big weekend headed our way in the Premier League, with four traditional giants squaring off with plenty on the line in terms of table standing and bragging rights.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
PST’s caught exclusively with Ralph Krueger, as the former NHL coach takes up the lead role at Premier League side Southampton:
Loic Remy wants Champions League club, says rape allegations kept him from bigger club than Newcastle
Mar 12, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
“That case cooled down a lot of clubs and I was lucky to come to Newcastle, a very great club that I thank,” Remy said.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Wambach’s goal total now stands at 167 for her country.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Gregarious ex-player mourned across US soccer after passing away from cancer early Wednesday.
Russian politicians want US kicked out of World Cup because US politicians want Russia kicked out of World Cup
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
I’m sure Blatter is going to spend loads of time with the letters sent to him by US and Russian lawmakers.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s hard to imagine another player at United seizing the captaincy, but how about England?
Mar 12, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
“The biggest way you can tell that right off the bat is training,” Parkhurst said.
Wambach scores twice as US women end disappointing Algarve Cup with win over North Korea, 7th place finish
Mar 12, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
With the victory, the U.S. avoided going winless in four consecutive games for the first time since 2001.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
PST’s own Joe Prince-Wright is slated for an exclusive interview with Krueger later this morning, so keep it tuned here.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
“If you lose, don’t start complaining about silly things,” Robben said.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Champions League injury forced German midfielder off at halftime, will have Ozil out of lineup.
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England