May 22, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
The Welsh FA might not be too keen on contributing to Team GB, but Ryan Giggs doesn’t seem to mind. The Manchester United legend is eyeing a role at this summer’s London Olympics, even if his nation’s federation would have him stay away.
Though Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales compete individually on the international level, the nations have been lumped in with England for this summer’s Olympics, which are contested by kingdom of Great Britain. As such, soccer players from those nations will have to compete for Team GB or not at all.
‘Not at all’ is Wales’ preferred option. Northern Ireland and Scotland want the same from their players. Their reasoning: The concept of a Team GB undermines the country’s individual football associations, which have independent recognition from FIFA. If a Team GB is allowed to compete at this major tournament, where will it end?
At this major tournament, most would say. The slippery slope is hard to see.
Apparently, Giggs is overlooking the fallacy, too, having re-affirmed his desire to be one of Stuart Pearce’s the over-age (older than 23) selections.
“I’ve put myself forward to be involved,” said Giggs, who has already spoken to the GB head coach, Stuart Pearce. “Whether I get picked we’ll have to see. Everybody is excited about the Olympics coming to London and different parts of Britain.”
That second part is important. The soccer tournament isn’t just a London-based event. Matches will also be taking place in Glasgow (Scotland) and Cardiff (Wales), in addition to Manchester, Newcastle, and Coventry. Only five of the events 32 games will be waged in London.
Giggs isn’t the only prominent Welshman to defy his country’s FA, with Tottenham Hotspur dynamo Gareth Bale also professing his desire to play in the Olympics.
He also isn’t the only Manchester United-linked winger to put his boot in, with LA Galaxy cast member David Beckham is hoping London will be his international swan song.
“Becks is obviously a friend,” said Giggs of the 37-year-old, “and he remains a great player. If [featuring in the GB side together] was to be, it’d be great. I started my playing career with Becks in the [United] youth team. Twenty years later, to be still doing that would be great.”
To me, these two are obvious picks, though many question whether Beckham’s play warrants a spot on the team. Depending on how Team GB does, the squad could be looking at six games in 16 days, too much for the 37-year-old to handle. Then again, that’s why squads are allowed to pick more than 11 players.
Whether the intent behind that is to allow honorific appointments is more debatable. The general public in England seem to want Beckham to participate. Stodgy soccer honks worried about which players are “in form”? Not so much.
I don’t really care how Team GB does at the summer games, so my main concern is entertainment value. If we’re talking about nothing more than a few minutes of Giggs and Beckham at this summer’s games, I’m already far more interested in this tournament than I was China’s.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public