May 22, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
6. Houston Dynamo – A win and two draws over eight days is commendable for a club with so much going on. The stadium is open, the hard road slog is behind them and Dominic Kinnear’s team even has a little breathing room for a few days. Now, the season can really start.
5. New York Red Bulls – It’s just hard to make sense of these crazy kids. Few teams are as beat up, and yet this is Major League Soccer’s hottest team (statistically speaking) with five wins in a row. We know what they are saying around Red Bull Arena: “Why ask why? Just keep the party going!” Heath Pearce debuted at center back in the latest victory, Saturday over Montreal (while playing a man down for half an hour, no less.)
4. D.C. United – Two home games brought two fairly comfortable wins (over Colorado and Toronto). Dwayne De Rosario is on one of his signature tears with three goals in Round 11. And don’t look now, rest of league, but Andy Najar and previously muted DP striker Hamdi Salihi are starting to feel it.
3. San Jose Earthquakes – Alan Gordon (pictured) to the rescue. Again! For the second consecutive week, the ‘Quakes fell behind at home to a side they probably shouldn’t have (this time to Columbus). And for the second consecutive week, Gordon came off the bench to strike late, helping his side split the points. It’s exciting, but clearly the Buck Shaw bunch would like better on home grass.
2. Seattle Sounders – Everyone gets excited about bicycle kick goals, and I get it. They’re cool and all. But what gets my little soccer shorts going are goals like Fredy Montero’s late equalizer in a 2-2 draw at Vancouver. The ability to make space and then to perfectly, skillfully draw a curling arc with the ball around a stranded, helpless goalkeeper? Yeah, that does it for me. (And it’s the kind of goal that Montero manufactures from time to time, hardly his first artistic maneuver.)
1. Real Salt Lake – Unbeaten in five and well-rested (idle in Round 11) ahead of a home match this weekend? Yeah, the Western Conference leaders will certainly take that. They probably will have to deal with the absence of midfielder Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando (although it’s possible Rimando could be released back to the club.)
Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Injury couldn’t have come at a worse time for slumping Colorado.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
James Rodríguez’s opener is pulled back in the 81st minute, sending the rivals to the Calderón even.
Aug 19, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Steaua Bucharest, Bayer Leverkusen, and Red Bull Salzburg earned first leg wins.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Tesho Akindele won the league’s honor, leaving is with one question: How? Teammate Fabián Castillo was clearly FC Dallas’s (and the league’s) best player.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
A pair of Liverpool midfielders let down their owners, while Hull was the key to big, big scores.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Demba Ba had the gumption to try and score one of the earliest goals of all-time in Besiktas’ UCL match against Arsenal on Tuesday
Aug 19, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Swimming with sharks, and knowing his fishing companions faced death, Kim Thomsen leaned on the fact that he wasn’t swimming alone.
Aug 19, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer claims Marco Reus is headed to Manchester United… next summer.
Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Hours after apologizing for trying to force a move to Manchester United, Argentina defender Marcos Rojo is commenting on said move.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The MLSE boss has been good for Toronto FC, bringing in Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley, and is denying a report that he’s leaving town.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Mackay’s hiring at Palace would be a reunion with sporting director Ian Moody, the latter also unceremoniously replaced at Cardiff
Aug 19, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho is among the new names on the list.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Playing in the Championship club’s first two matches, both losses, Emerson Hyndman is being hailed as an ‘old head on young shoulders’
Aug 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When Norway hosts the United Arab Emirates in Stavanger on Aug. 27, it could see Martin Odegaard break a 104-year old record.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Good news or just politics as usual for DC United fans?
Aug 19, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Brad Guzan had a better weekend than Tim Howard, as the Yanks in the Premier League witnessed a mixed bag of fortunes.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT
Could players from Norwich City and Napoli be heading to Harry Redknapp’s Premier League side, along with Niko Kranjcar?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Life after Luis Suarez isn’t too bad for Liverpool thanks to this guy…
Aug 18, 2014, 11:39 PM EDT
Pinto sends out Tweet stating: “On my way to the USA to enjoy a new experience! Go for your dreams.”
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 0
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2
- Americans Abroad Wrap: US teenagers go distance for Fulham, Utrecht 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Celebrating the Premier League’s return (and a Mickey Rourke encounter) 3