May 22, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
6. Houston Dynamo – A win and two draws over eight days is commendable for a club with so much going on. The stadium is open, the hard road slog is behind them and Dominic Kinnear’s team even has a little breathing room for a few days. Now, the season can really start.
5. New York Red Bulls – It’s just hard to make sense of these crazy kids. Few teams are as beat up, and yet this is Major League Soccer’s hottest team (statistically speaking) with five wins in a row. We know what they are saying around Red Bull Arena: “Why ask why? Just keep the party going!” Heath Pearce debuted at center back in the latest victory, Saturday over Montreal (while playing a man down for half an hour, no less.)
4. D.C. United – Two home games brought two fairly comfortable wins (over Colorado and Toronto). Dwayne De Rosario is on one of his signature tears with three goals in Round 11. And don’t look now, rest of league, but Andy Najar and previously muted DP striker Hamdi Salihi are starting to feel it.
3. San Jose Earthquakes – Alan Gordon (pictured) to the rescue. Again! For the second consecutive week, the ‘Quakes fell behind at home to a side they probably shouldn’t have (this time to Columbus). And for the second consecutive week, Gordon came off the bench to strike late, helping his side split the points. It’s exciting, but clearly the Buck Shaw bunch would like better on home grass.
2. Seattle Sounders – Everyone gets excited about bicycle kick goals, and I get it. They’re cool and all. But what gets my little soccer shorts going are goals like Fredy Montero’s late equalizer in a 2-2 draw at Vancouver. The ability to make space and then to perfectly, skillfully draw a curling arc with the ball around a stranded, helpless goalkeeper? Yeah, that does it for me. (And it’s the kind of goal that Montero manufactures from time to time, hardly his first artistic maneuver.)
1. Real Salt Lake – Unbeaten in five and well-rested (idle in Round 11) ahead of a home match this weekend? Yeah, the Western Conference leaders will certainly take that. They probably will have to deal with the absence of midfielder Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando (although it’s possible Rimando could be released back to the club.)
Mar 31, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Klinsmann makes changes to team who lost to Denmark, switches up formation.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Could Di Maria be on his way out of Old Trafford after just one season?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
Plenty of intriguing questions surrounding the USMNT picture ahead of Tuesday’s game against the Swiss.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Top European teams will get extra revenue from Champions League, Europa League from next season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Three out of five ain’t bad, right?
Mar 31, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Messi tops list of forwards in Europe.
USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair
Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Maurice Edu and Danny Szetela helped the goal get going, and Bradley was barely more than 20 years old.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Fortunately for Chedjou, Cameroon came back to beat Thailand 3-2.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
Lads and ladies, men and women, dudes and dudettes, it’s going to be a bit of an odd week for the MLS Team of the Week here on PST.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
The anthem that blared over the loudspeaker happened to belong to Isle of Man, not on-field participants El Salvador.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
Reports say he was lost after leaving a fraternity party near the University of Southern California.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Who claimed the honors for Week 4 in Major League Soccer? The only former Ballon d’Or winner in the league!
Mar 30, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
The Western New York Flash are reaping the rewards of Abby Wambach’s refusal to play ball.
Mar 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Wright helped the U.S. qualify for this summer’s U-17 World Cup, and recorded 18 goals and 7 assists in 22 games for the side.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The tournament begins July 7, with Los Catrachos facing the USMNT in Frisco, Texas.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Few have successfully predicted the erratic USMNT lineups over the last few months, but here’s our best shot.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
The Dutchman’s agent says he has not spoken with any teams, including the Red Devils.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
A salty relationship between the Bulgarian striker and his Dutch boss led to the “Dream Team” member departing Barcelona a year later.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
The 42-year-old’s 126th career goal is a world record.
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 0
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0
- Study says Lionel Messi top striker in 2015, Cristiano Ronaldo 29th best 2
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1