May 22, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
6. Houston Dynamo – A win and two draws over eight days is commendable for a club with so much going on. The stadium is open, the hard road slog is behind them and Dominic Kinnear’s team even has a little breathing room for a few days. Now, the season can really start.
5. New York Red Bulls – It’s just hard to make sense of these crazy kids. Few teams are as beat up, and yet this is Major League Soccer’s hottest team (statistically speaking) with five wins in a row. We know what they are saying around Red Bull Arena: “Why ask why? Just keep the party going!” Heath Pearce debuted at center back in the latest victory, Saturday over Montreal (while playing a man down for half an hour, no less.)
4. D.C. United – Two home games brought two fairly comfortable wins (over Colorado and Toronto). Dwayne De Rosario is on one of his signature tears with three goals in Round 11. And don’t look now, rest of league, but Andy Najar and previously muted DP striker Hamdi Salihi are starting to feel it.
3. San Jose Earthquakes – Alan Gordon (pictured) to the rescue. Again! For the second consecutive week, the ‘Quakes fell behind at home to a side they probably shouldn’t have (this time to Columbus). And for the second consecutive week, Gordon came off the bench to strike late, helping his side split the points. It’s exciting, but clearly the Buck Shaw bunch would like better on home grass.
2. Seattle Sounders – Everyone gets excited about bicycle kick goals, and I get it. They’re cool and all. But what gets my little soccer shorts going are goals like Fredy Montero’s late equalizer in a 2-2 draw at Vancouver. The ability to make space and then to perfectly, skillfully draw a curling arc with the ball around a stranded, helpless goalkeeper? Yeah, that does it for me. (And it’s the kind of goal that Montero manufactures from time to time, hardly his first artistic maneuver.)
1. Real Salt Lake – Unbeaten in five and well-rested (idle in Round 11) ahead of a home match this weekend? Yeah, the Western Conference leaders will certainly take that. They probably will have to deal with the absence of midfielder Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando (although it’s possible Rimando could be released back to the club.)
May 24, 2015, 12:29 AM EDT
In case you’d forgotten since last Saturday night, none of us know anything about MLS.
May 24, 2015, 12:10 AM EDT
To grind out a point in Sporting KC’s current predicament is impressive, but the Sounders were very, very poor.
May 23, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Last-place beats 1st-place — in other words, just another typical night in MLS!
May 23, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Two New England red cards changed the course of the game, which allowed the D.C. to claw back and steal a point (barely).
May 23, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
At what point is it no longer “early, still plenty of time” for the Timbers? We’re almost there.
May 23, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
The final day of the La Liga season is in the books. Who finished where, and who was relegated?
May 23, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
After 17 year at Barcelona, Xavi will leave the club this summer. On Saturday, he said his final farewell to the Camp Nou.
May 23, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
All 10 matches will be on the NBC family of networks, so be sure to click and find out where your club is featuring come 10 a.m. Sunday.
May 23, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
“We know we need to win it and we know we’re more than capable of doing that,” Meyler said.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Carver’s bunch has played lackluster football while being waxed by clubs from the top and bottom of the table.
May 23, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Would the Blues still be champions with Lewandowski over Costa? Or would they have bought both and run rampant over Europe?
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores for Week 38.
May 23, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
The Real Madrid president reportedly met with Ancelotti’s agent to tell him they are likely going to part ways.
May 23, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Stuttgart won big to earn safety and send Hamburg to another nerve-wracking playoff.
May 23, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
The final home match for one of Dortmund’s most successful managers is looking to be a special one at Westfalenstadion.
May 23, 2015, 9:34 AM EDT
The future of Robin van Persie at Old Trafford is very much in doubt as a former Premier League manager has given the Dutchman a very tough decision.
May 23, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
We all knew it already, but Sami Khedira will leave Real Madrid after five seasons. Where will he land?
May 23, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
How can Hull City or Newcastle avoid relegation? Who will qualify for the Europa League? Find out all the scenarios for the final day here.
May 23, 2015, 12:37 AM EDT
Final: LA Galaxy 1-0 Houston Dynamo
May 22, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: Columbus Crew 2-2 Chicago Fire
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0