May 22, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
6. Houston Dynamo – A win and two draws over eight days is commendable for a club with so much going on. The stadium is open, the hard road slog is behind them and Dominic Kinnear’s team even has a little breathing room for a few days. Now, the season can really start.
5. New York Red Bulls – It’s just hard to make sense of these crazy kids. Few teams are as beat up, and yet this is Major League Soccer’s hottest team (statistically speaking) with five wins in a row. We know what they are saying around Red Bull Arena: “Why ask why? Just keep the party going!” Heath Pearce debuted at center back in the latest victory, Saturday over Montreal (while playing a man down for half an hour, no less.)
4. D.C. United – Two home games brought two fairly comfortable wins (over Colorado and Toronto). Dwayne De Rosario is on one of his signature tears with three goals in Round 11. And don’t look now, rest of league, but Andy Najar and previously muted DP striker Hamdi Salihi are starting to feel it.
3. San Jose Earthquakes – Alan Gordon (pictured) to the rescue. Again! For the second consecutive week, the ‘Quakes fell behind at home to a side they probably shouldn’t have (this time to Columbus). And for the second consecutive week, Gordon came off the bench to strike late, helping his side split the points. It’s exciting, but clearly the Buck Shaw bunch would like better on home grass.
2. Seattle Sounders – Everyone gets excited about bicycle kick goals, and I get it. They’re cool and all. But what gets my little soccer shorts going are goals like Fredy Montero’s late equalizer in a 2-2 draw at Vancouver. The ability to make space and then to perfectly, skillfully draw a curling arc with the ball around a stranded, helpless goalkeeper? Yeah, that does it for me. (And it’s the kind of goal that Montero manufactures from time to time, hardly his first artistic maneuver.)
1. Real Salt Lake – Unbeaten in five and well-rested (idle in Round 11) ahead of a home match this weekend? Yeah, the Western Conference leaders will certainly take that. They probably will have to deal with the absence of midfielder Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando (although it’s possible Rimando could be released back to the club.)
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
The European Club Association includes at least one club from every nation in UEFA and includes Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Brazil’s national football team has a new code of conduct under manager Dunga.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Wonderful touch and power utilized on a first-class goal from Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Harry Kane notched a hat trick in Tottenham’s Europa League victory over Asteras Tripoli, and he then found himself manning the goal as a netminder following a Hugo Lloris red card.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Lille and Everton played to a 0-0 draw at Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Europa League group stage competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.
Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’
Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Free agent Valdes arrives to “train with the first team” at United.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0