May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
It’s easy to see why Marseille still loves him. And he only spent a year there.
Didier Drogba’s executing one of the more classy exits you’ll ever see. Whereas he could harbor some resentment at having to finish his playing career somewhere other than Chelsea, Saturday’s hero is approaching the move with the maturity of a 34-year-old, recognizing it’s just time.
Here’s an exit interview-ish thing he did with the club’s web site:
And his message to Chelsea fans:
If he goes to China, Drogba will likely do so as the highest paid player in the world. It’s also likely he will completely fall off our radars, only to be heard from again when he retires or returns from his pay day.
After the last four days, it’s hard to imagine even the most ardent anti-Drogba curmudgeon thinking our sporting world would be better without him.
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4