May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
It’s easy to see why Marseille still loves him. And he only spent a year there.
Didier Drogba’s executing one of the more classy exits you’ll ever see. Whereas he could harbor some resentment at having to finish his playing career somewhere other than Chelsea, Saturday’s hero is approaching the move with the maturity of a 34-year-old, recognizing it’s just time.
Here’s an exit interview-ish thing he did with the club’s web site:
And his message to Chelsea fans:
If he goes to China, Drogba will likely do so as the highest paid player in the world. It’s also likely he will completely fall off our radars, only to be heard from again when he retires or returns from his pay day.
After the last four days, it’s hard to imagine even the most ardent anti-Drogba curmudgeon thinking our sporting world would be better without him.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1