May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
It’s easy to see why Marseille still loves him. And he only spent a year there.
Didier Drogba’s executing one of the more classy exits you’ll ever see. Whereas he could harbor some resentment at having to finish his playing career somewhere other than Chelsea, Saturday’s hero is approaching the move with the maturity of a 34-year-old, recognizing it’s just time.
Here’s an exit interview-ish thing he did with the club’s web site:
And his message to Chelsea fans:
If he goes to China, Drogba will likely do so as the highest paid player in the world. It’s also likely he will completely fall off our radars, only to be heard from again when he retires or returns from his pay day.
After the last four days, it’s hard to imagine even the most ardent anti-Drogba curmudgeon thinking our sporting world would be better without him.
- Red Bulls’ season could rest on the shoulders of Tim Cahill 0
- Can Thibaut Courtois surpass Manuel Neuer as the world’s best? 2
- Geoff Cameron talks Thanksgiving, Stoke City vs. Liverpool and more 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester United, Chelsea, QPR 0
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0