May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
It’s easy to see why Marseille still loves him. And he only spent a year there.
Didier Drogba’s executing one of the more classy exits you’ll ever see. Whereas he could harbor some resentment at having to finish his playing career somewhere other than Chelsea, Saturday’s hero is approaching the move with the maturity of a 34-year-old, recognizing it’s just time.
Here’s an exit interview-ish thing he did with the club’s web site:
And his message to Chelsea fans:
If he goes to China, Drogba will likely do so as the highest paid player in the world. It’s also likely he will completely fall off our radars, only to be heard from again when he retires or returns from his pay day.
After the last four days, it’s hard to imagine even the most ardent anti-Drogba curmudgeon thinking our sporting world would be better without him.
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 D.C. United 0
- MLS Snapshot: Houston Dynamo 4-4 Sporting Kansas City 2
- MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 4-0 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 4-1 Philadelphia Union 1