May 23, 2012, 6:30 AM EDT
Birthdays of Note: Drew Carey turns 54 on Wednesday. You may know him as a comedian, actor, or game show host, but if you’re a frequent PST visitor, it’s also likely you know him as a minority owner of the Seattle Sounders (as well as a United States men’s national team diehard).
Big Important Story of the Day: As we countdown to Saturday, you’re going to hear more and more news out of U.S. men’s national team camp. Wednesday, however, MLS will take center stage. The League has five mid-week matches, including rivalry derbies between Toronto and Vancouver as well as LA Galaxy and San Jose.
Ahead on the blog today*: Panic! at the Blog’s monthly set will drop later today, and you can bet good money on Bruce Arena’s side appearing in Mr. Davis’s MLS Panic Quotient®.
What we should all be watching on TV: New York-Chivas is on Univision Deportes, Toronto hosts Vancouver on Sportsnet, but tonight looks like a good MLS Liver night (unless you have one of them satellite plates).
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Predrag Radosavljević … Preki
PST background noise while blogging today: Going through Friday Night Lights for the first time. Apparently football players in Texas all look 25 years old? That explains a lot.
We’ll leave you with this: Major League Soccer has a full eight game schedule on Saturday. The problem: The USMNT is also playing, a game kicking off right in the middle of MLS’s match day. Some of you may know the answer to this, but I can’t help but wonder: What if some of the league games were moved to Sunday? Especially since it’s the NFL offseason. The league’s schedule was set long before U.S. Soccer booked its Scotland friendly, but with four of the day’s matches conflicting (to various extents) with the game, a lot of fans are going to have to make some tough choices.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 0
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public