May 24, 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
Three quick things to know before you watch the five goals and assorted other highlights from last night’s match at the Home Depot Center, where the Galaxy had a 2-0 lead and home … at found a way to lose, 3-2:
- No Landon Donovan. No Robbie Keane. But David Beckham was on the field, valiantly representing his third of the Galaxy’s DP triple threat. (San Jose leading scorer Chris Wondolowski was absent, too.)
- San Jose’s Alan Gordon has become the ultimate late-game hero. For the third consecutive match, a stoppage time goal has proven the difference. This time, rather than just an equalizer, his stoppage time strike became the game-winner.
- A frustrated Beckham ripped referee Jair Marrufo. The Galaxy captain was upset about an alleged handball that went uncalled in the first half. (Yes, when you lose a two-goal lead at home, it’s usually the referee’s fault.)
“Unfortunately, we had someone in control of the game tonight that, every time we’ve had him, he wants to be the star, and that’s what happens when you have a referee who wants to be on ‘SportsCenter,’ ” he said. “That was disappointing.”
So is that attitude. Suspension for criticizing the referee? Could be.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Here’s three things we learned from the Lane.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Spurs attacked for much of the match but were held off the scoresheet by American goalkeeper Tim Howard.
Aug 29, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
The Liverpool manager was disappointed in the Reds play but also criticized the referee.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Jose Mourinho gave lots of credit to today’s worthy opponent, but did stay somewhat true to his nature.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
Afellay and Adam sent off as Baggies down Potters on Pulis’ return.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT
Artur Boruc got a piece of Vardy’s penalty attempt, but not enough. 1-1.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
Hammers win at Anfield for first time since 1963.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Yann M’Vila and Jeremain Lens scored for Sunderland, with Scott Sinclair striking twice for Aston Villa in between.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
Mourinho loses second home game in 100 PL matches as Chelsea boss.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
City has now won 10-straight Premier League matches across seasons, and has yet to concede a goal this season.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Can Spurs get their first win of the season? Watch live online, here.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Wenger admitted his Premier League club would like an elite striker before the transfer deadline closes on Monday.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Some spectacular goals highlight Saturday’s 10 a.m. ET Premier League matches, and should have folks queuing up for the second halves of play.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 AM EDT
Wilson found himself in perfect position to finish off a great scoring opportunity as he gave Bournemouth a 1-0 lead over Leicester City with this gorgeous goal.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
The Premier League’s lesser lights are making up for the lack of offensive fireworks from Arsenal’s early win over 10-man Newcastle.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
USMNT goalkeeper Brad Guzan is between the sticks for the hosts, with Rudy Gestede getting a start up top.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Arsenals critics will be out in full force after its strike force struggled to break down 10-man Newcastle at St. James Park on Saturday.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Callum Wilson will again lead the Cherries onto the pitch, with dangerous Ivorian attacker Max Gradel behind him.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Potters and Baggies both looking for their first win of the season. Watch live online, here.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
Can the Blues make it back-to-back wins before the international break? Watch live online, right here.
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 1
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 1
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 4
- Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling scores, hosts make history in comfortable win 0
- Watch Live: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Callum Wilson’s bicycle kick lifts Bournemouth into an early lead 0