May 24, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Galaxy managed to lose Wednesday night in rather shocking fashion and now sit on 11 points after 12 matches. This isn’t some early-season rust; it’s a legit slump.
Major League Soccer’s superclub looks, well, not so super, hanging out at the bottom of the Western Conference. Beckham is complaining, Landon Donovan won’t be around for for some time, and everything else that could go wrong is in sunny LA. (But don’t worry: The weather is still beautiful.)
So yeah, it’s rather not fun to be Bruce and the Boys right now (new band name?), but the struggles of the Galaxy are good for the league.
- Rooting against a favorite is fun. Well, it’s fun for everyone who is not a Galaxy supporter. And that is almost everyone who follows MLS.
- One of the great things about MLS is parity. Watching LA run through the regular season wouldn’t be interesting. Domination does not good drama make.
- LA will make a run at some point. They are too talented, too skilled, too expensive. Wait until July or August, and suddenly we’re talking about a resurgent Galaxy. Can they make the playoffs? (Yes.) What about a push for the Supporters’ Shield? (Probably too late, but you never know.) But the mid- or late-season exploits are coming.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Phillip Lahm sees Real Madrid as the Champions League favorites.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Manchester United blanked QPR, 4-0, in the only match that Premier League match that occurred on Sunday.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
Recap of each MLS competition this weekend.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Philippe Coutinho said that he would entertain an extension at Liverpool
Sep 14, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Jeremy Menez tallied a brace and a spectacular goal as AC Milan edged Parma in a high-scoring affair.
Sep 14, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
A very tough goal scored by FC Dallas striker Blas Perez from an MLS match last night.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
President Obama sent the Belgian embassy a pack of beer after he lost a World Cup bet on Twitter.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo may eye a even bigger contract at the end of this season, but not at Real Madrid.
Sep 14, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
NBC’s Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Kyle Martino discuss the performances of Manchester United’s new players in a 4-0 drubbing of QPR.
Sep 14, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Goalkeeper Iker Casillas wasn’t opposed to fans whistling at him during Real Madrid’s match vs. Atletico Madrid.
Sep 14, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
After a comprehensive 90 minutes for their first win of the year, van Gaal is bullish on the Red Devils’ chances going forward.
Sep 14, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
With Newcastle’s managerial situation deteriorating rapidly, there is one week to turn things around.
Sep 14, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
After 450 matches for Manchester United, Rio Ferdinand returned to Old Trafford on the opposing end for the first time.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Angel Di Maria is good. Really, really good.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
The Bayern Munich loanee makes his professional league debut.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
It’s the first goal of his Premier League career for the $99 million man.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Falcao is not in the starting lineup in his first Manchester United game available for selection.
Sep 14, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Early estimates have Debuchy missing crucial Premier League matches against Chelsea as well as the North London derby.
Sep 14, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Time could be up on Alan Pardew’s up and down tenure at Newcastle United.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
A thigh tear will mean the man who missed two years with an ACL tear will yet again see the sidelines for an extended period of time.
- Manchester United 4-0 QPR: Roaring first half signals intentions of new-look United 1
- Reports say Alan Pardew on thin ice as Newcastle front office eyes Hull’s Steve Bruce 0
- MLS Snapshot: Philadelphia Union 2-2 New York Red Bulls 0
- Late Turan goal gives Atletico 2-1 win at Real Madrid 0
- Saturday Premier League roundup: Chelsea win, Arsenal-Man City draw, Liverpool lose (video) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 Aston Villa: Agbonlahor’s early score leads Villa past listless Liverpool (video) 2