May 24, 2012, 1:21 AM EDT
Man of the Match: You can go two ways on this one, and just so I don’t cop-out (again), I’ll let you know which way I leaned. Andy Greunebaum came up with big saves when Columbus needed them, stifling two very good Seattle chances early in the second half. You can go with him, or you can be an arrogant, elitist snob like me and argue the number of times Sebastian Miranda was tested and passed in the first half deserves the recognition. Miranda, in truth, wasn’t exceptional, but the pure number of times he deterred Seattle gets my nod.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Individual breakdowns. Sigi Schmid harped on individual breakdowns after the match, and he had every right to. Whether we’re talking about the two goals or the open chance Alvaro Fernandez missed right before half time, Seattle’s players didn’t step up when given the chance to do so.
- But take nothing away form Columbus. Every time they get a surprise result, people moan about their perceived quality and claim the other team played down to the Crew’s level. Guess what? Columbus is now 4-4-3. Columbus is now fifth in the East. Columbus is now a decent team.
- And that decent team executed. On the first goal, Dilly Duka played a left-footed cross in from the right flank to hit Justin Meram, who got a surprise start at left wing. Low and behold the matchup of a forward against a full back on a cross went the way of the bigger man.
- And on the second goal, yes, Bryan Meredith was off his line, but Emilio Renteria also had to hit a 24-yard ball that got over him but under the bar. Blame where blame’s due, but credit where credit’s due, too.
- It really is interesting to see how much of Seattle build up goes through Osvaldo Alonso in the first two-thirds.
- Eddie Johnson had another mixed night. He always seemed to find a way to get on the ball, but he never did anything with it.
- Watch David Estrada work. He tracks back much deeper than his opposite winger, and as Alonso and Brad Evans go forward (or, in Evans’ case, wide), he’s more than willing to sit in the middle of the park. There may be no harder working wide player in the league, right now. The question, though, is whether it’s good for him to have to jump into so many holes.
- Renteria had a goal, and he was also credited with one of those fun MLS second assists, but the moment that jumped out to me was the counter attack he slowed down late in the first half. Columbus often plays nine of their 10 out-field players behind the midfield’s last man, leaving their forward all alone. Renteria doesn’t have the speed to get the Crew into counterattacks, a tactic they need to utilize if they’re going to play so deep. Then again, what do I know? Dude had a goal and an assist.
- One other note on Columbus’s deployment. Eddie Gaven and Dilly Duka played very close to each other, and when Danny O’Rourke (before he left with an ankle injury) or Cole Grossman jumped into the play, it created a quick bursts of short passes in an overloaded area. For a brief spell in the first half, the Crew opened a number of eyes by playing some very un-Crew soccer.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT
That’s 7 losses in 8 games for the Sounders. Meanwhile, the ‘Caps go top of the West.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Another Royal Rumble between old rivals. While the rest of MLS went goal-crazy, these two did what they always do.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
The goals floweth over in MLS tonight. Cyle Larin scored his second straight brace for Orlando City.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
D.C. United and RSL combined for 10 goals at RFK Stadium Saturday night. Let the video do the talking.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
The Premier League season is here…almost. The final week of preseason has begun.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
The new seasons in Germany and France are underway following an afternoon full of Super Cup action.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
It’s not been the greatest week of Miguel Herrera’s life. He’s in legal trouble yet again.
Aug 1, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Another wild afternoon at Yankee Stadium ends in defeat for NYCFC. Pirlo made his first MLS start and Lampard made his MLS debut.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Can Spurs crack the top four? Or will it be another season on the outside looking in at White Hart Lane?
Aug 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Wenger has never beaten Mourinho before, but he’ll have a chance to do so tomorrow in the Community Shield.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
Rodgers better hope his “bargain” buy scores a lot of goals for Liverpool this season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Coming off of their best-ever Premier League finish, Garry Monk has the Swans thinking about bringing European football to Wales.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
He still played in Shakhtar’s Champions League match this week, which could cause his club some troubles.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Is Dimitar Berbatov on his way back to the Premier League? All the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
In both of Watford’s two seasons in the Premier League, the club finished in last place. Can the newly promoted Hornets avoid relegation the third time around?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
A big blow for the Hammers as the Premier League kicks off a week from today.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1