May 24, 2012, 1:21 AM EDT
Man of the Match: You can go two ways on this one, and just so I don’t cop-out (again), I’ll let you know which way I leaned. Andy Greunebaum came up with big saves when Columbus needed them, stifling two very good Seattle chances early in the second half. You can go with him, or you can be an arrogant, elitist snob like me and argue the number of times Sebastian Miranda was tested and passed in the first half deserves the recognition. Miranda, in truth, wasn’t exceptional, but the pure number of times he deterred Seattle gets my nod.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Individual breakdowns. Sigi Schmid harped on individual breakdowns after the match, and he had every right to. Whether we’re talking about the two goals or the open chance Alvaro Fernandez missed right before half time, Seattle’s players didn’t step up when given the chance to do so.
- But take nothing away form Columbus. Every time they get a surprise result, people moan about their perceived quality and claim the other team played down to the Crew’s level. Guess what? Columbus is now 4-4-3. Columbus is now fifth in the East. Columbus is now a decent team.
- And that decent team executed. On the first goal, Dilly Duka played a left-footed cross in from the right flank to hit Justin Meram, who got a surprise start at left wing. Low and behold the matchup of a forward against a full back on a cross went the way of the bigger man.
- And on the second goal, yes, Bryan Meredith was off his line, but Emilio Renteria also had to hit a 24-yard ball that got over him but under the bar. Blame where blame’s due, but credit where credit’s due, too.
- It really is interesting to see how much of Seattle build up goes through Osvaldo Alonso in the first two-thirds.
- Eddie Johnson had another mixed night. He always seemed to find a way to get on the ball, but he never did anything with it.
- Watch David Estrada work. He tracks back much deeper than his opposite winger, and as Alonso and Brad Evans go forward (or, in Evans’ case, wide), he’s more than willing to sit in the middle of the park. There may be no harder working wide player in the league, right now. The question, though, is whether it’s good for him to have to jump into so many holes.
- Renteria had a goal, and he was also credited with one of those fun MLS second assists, but the moment that jumped out to me was the counter attack he slowed down late in the first half. Columbus often plays nine of their 10 out-field players behind the midfield’s last man, leaving their forward all alone. Renteria doesn’t have the speed to get the Crew into counterattacks, a tactic they need to utilize if they’re going to play so deep. Then again, what do I know? Dude had a goal and an assist.
- One other note on Columbus’s deployment. Eddie Gaven and Dilly Duka played very close to each other, and when Danny O’Rourke (before he left with an ankle injury) or Cole Grossman jumped into the play, it created a quick bursts of short passes in an overloaded area. For a brief spell in the first half, the Crew opened a number of eyes by playing some very un-Crew soccer.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 7
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 3
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1