May 25, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
For Juan Agudelo, Alfredo Morales, Danny Williams and Graham Zusi, the summer of U.S. national team involvement is over, barring an injury or something else unforseen.
U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann has trimmed the roster from 27 to 23 for three upcoming friendlies and the first two qualifiers for World Cup 2014.
He’ll talk later today about the released foursome and about his final 23 selections during a national media teleconference.
As for the four released players, we already know this:
- Agudelo was a victim of injury, to some extent. Hurt back in the Olympic qualifying effort in late March, he returned to the field just two weeks ago. That’s hardly enough time to get into the kind of international-level shape that Klinsmann has stressed. Either way, this will give Agudelo a chance to get fit and get established at his new club address, Chivas USA.
- Morales, 22 years old and uncapped internationally, was always a long shot. This was probably just an opportunity for Klinsmann to get a closer look at the defender-midfielder, who has yet to establish himself as a regular for 2 Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin.
- Zusi was just OK in January national team matches, used out wide in a less familiar role. The Sporting Kansas City man has grown into a quality league-level man who may need to add another element to his game to grab hold of the international rung.
- Williams, 23, would be the one surprise cut, except that he’s recovering from injury. He started as a right midfielder in the big February win over Italy. (Surely the best win of the Klinsmann era, in fact.) He was just OK that night, which isn’t that surprising considering his lack of international experience. Still, the Hoffenheim man (pictured above) seems to have a big upside, and he might well be on the “approved” list but for the recent physical setback.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Besic, 21, has signed a five-year deal with the Toffees.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Bale smashes in an absolute beauty from distance. Check it out, here.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
After selling over $175 million of talent so far this summer, what are Saints playing at?
Jul 28, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Boyd out after injury in Queens Park Rangers friendly.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
He may be one of the best soccer players the planet has ever seen, but Messi is not above the law.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Arsenal splash the cash to sign 19-year-old Southampton academy graduate.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Did Remy fail a medical at Liverpool? ‘Arry isn’t buying it.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Clegg, Downing Street, discuss Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
If you use the hashtag #AskJesus, expect to get results like this.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Atletico add Griezmann to partner Mandzukic in new-look attack.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
Arsenal may be taking a “gamble” but it certainly paid off the last two times they bought teenagers from Southampton.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
This may not be as toast as it first appeared.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
AC Milan got hosed, but Mario Balotelli had some fun as a second-half substitute.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It may have been in jest, but Roberto Martinez has set rumors alight.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Lovern becomes the third Southampton player to move to Liverpool this summer.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
AC Milan got thumped for the second straight US preseason friendly. What does it mean?
Jul 27, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Having played under Redknapp for 2 years at Spurs, the QPR boss wants him back.
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 0
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5