Clint Dempsey doesn’t sound like a man staying at Fulham

May 25, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Dempsey-US 2

First things first: don’t look for Clint Dempsey in Saturday’s friendly against Scotland. He didn’t say so, exactly … but you don’t need Superhero ability to read between the lines to read between the lines on this one.

Dempsey talked at length to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl this week from the U.S. camp in Orlando. He mentions having missed about 14 days (due to a groin injury) and says he needs to be “smart.” He also said that it “doesn’t make sense to play in a game if you’re not able to be close to 100 percent.”

So when the NBC Sports Network cameras roll Saturday night (kickoff at 8 p.m. ET), Dempsey is almost sure to be on the bench.

As for his future, that’s where Wahl’s interview climbs the “interesting” ladder. It’s not that we haven’t heard it before, but his words are landing with greater resonance now, so close to decision-making time, a.k.a. the summer transfer window.

I’ve always said I’m grateful for everything Fulham has done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there. But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

“I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I’ve had. I’m always going to want to play in Champions League. It’s something I’ve never done. I’d like to test myself at that level. That way I can look back and say, ‘Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn’t good enough.’ ”

Again, sound like a man who prefers to remain comfortable, who would rather play out his days at Craven Cottage, where he knows he’ll start in pretty much every league match, but will almost surely never get into Champions League? Nah.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

2. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

3. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

4. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.

5. Nick De Santis no longer sporting director in Montréal

Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

500px-Montreal_Impact_(MLS)_logo

Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.

6. Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

MartinezLukaku Getty Images

Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.

7. NWSL implements cooling break procedure

Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

NWSL logo

With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.

8. VIDEO: Liverpool fan from New Jersey cries, loses the plot, after meeting Gerrard

Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Liverpool fan

Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.

9. Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio

Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.

10. Philadelphia Union sign Algerian World Cup star Rais Mbolhi

Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Germany v Algeria: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.

11. FIFA’s senior vice-president Julio Grondona dies, Argentina mourns

Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-ARG-VEN Getty Images

One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.

12. Premier League will use vanishing spray for 2014-15 season

Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Morocco Soccer Club World Cup AP

After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.

13. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw agrees he’s not fit enough after Louis van Gaal criticism

Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Luke Shaw Andrea Ranocchia AP

Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”

14. PHOTOS: Scantily clad Cristiano Ronaldo poses for record-breaking magazine cover

Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

ronaldo cover final

Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.

15. VIDEO: Manchester United dominate Inter, win on penalties in Washington D.C.

Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Inter Milan v Manchester United Getty Images

United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.

16. Manchester United reach “verbal agreement” on $80 million Arturo Vidal deal

Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Arturo Vidal AP

Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?

17. Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Colombia v Uruguay: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.

18. Yaya Toure confirms he will stay at Manchester City

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”

19. Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak

Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool will prove themselves champions come next season. Getty Images

After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?