Clint Dempsey doesn’t sound like a man staying at Fulham

May 25, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Dempsey-US 2

First things first: don’t look for Clint Dempsey in Saturday’s friendly against Scotland. He didn’t say so, exactly … but you don’t need Superhero ability to read between the lines to read between the lines on this one.

Dempsey talked at length to Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl this week from the U.S. camp in Orlando. He mentions having missed about 14 days (due to a groin injury) and says he needs to be “smart.” He also said that it “doesn’t make sense to play in a game if you’re not able to be close to 100 percent.”

So when the NBC Sports Network cameras roll Saturday night (kickoff at 8 p.m. ET), Dempsey is almost sure to be on the bench.

As for his future, that’s where Wahl’s interview climbs the “interesting” ladder. It’s not that we haven’t heard it before, but his words are landing with greater resonance now, so close to decision-making time, a.k.a. the summer transfer window.

I’ve always said I’m grateful for everything Fulham has done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there. But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

“I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I’ve had. I’m always going to want to play in Champions League. It’s something I’ve never done. I’d like to test myself at that level. That way I can look back and say, ‘Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn’t good enough.’ ”

Again, sound like a man who prefers to remain comfortable, who would rather play out his days at Craven Cottage, where he knows he’ll start in pretty much every league match, but will almost surely never get into Champions League? Nah.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

2. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

3. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

4. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

5. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

6. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

7. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

8. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

9. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

10. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

11. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

12. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

13. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

14. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check. Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check.

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

15. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

16. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

17. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

18. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

19. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?