May 25, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Man of the Match: It’s nice to see Pedro Rodríguez healthy. Hampered by injuries through most of 2012, Pedro returned and scored twice for Barcelona, undoubtedly opening the eyes of Spain national team bas Vicente del Bosque. Despite making Spain’s team for South Africa, the Barça attacker is on the borderline for Euro 2012: Will he make it or not? Today’s performance won’t hurt.
Packaged for takeaway:
- As I type, it occurs to me this may be the shortest offshore drilling in this segment’s history. This match taught us nothing new and unfolded in a very predictable way.
- Barcelona came out quick, scored in the third minute (through Pedro) and looked like a team refreshed. Within half an hour, they were up three and seemed to let up, as if the were told by pre-match by Pep Guardiola that if they worked hard for 30 minutes, they’d undoubtedly have control of the match.
- As a result, the last hour was worthless.
- Not a bad way to go out for Guardiola. His team was clearly well prepared.
- Athletic didn’t look as tired as they did earlier this spring, when they were juggling Europa League with fading league prospects. Their energy almost played into Barcelona’s hands, though. At the beginning, they were willing to run with Barça, allowing them to be picked apart.
- The second goal was a thing of beauty. A knifing ball from Andres Iniesta put Lionel Messi behind the defense, but a little heavy, the pass was speeding out fora goal kick. Messi burst, got to it just in time, and although Gorka Iraizoz gave him little to shoot at, Messi found the upper right hand corner from six yards out.
- Five minutes later, Pedro completed his double, after which the match was basically over. Athletic played like a team scared of making things worse. Barcelona played like a team that’d spent their season’s last piece of motivation.
- For Barça, the win is the team’s first major trophy of the season, something the history books will look upon kindly. It would have been strange to look back at 2011-12 and think “wow, Barcelona didn’t win anything.” Copa del Rey and close calls in league and Europe? That sounds about right.
- Athletic, for the second time in three years, finishes second to Barça in Copa. They also lost in the final of Europa League. Are they the Spanish Bayern Munich, 2012′s bridesmaids that should have been brides? Not quite.
- Marcelo Bielsa’s team finished the season as they started it: Unimpressively. After getting used to their new boss, Athletic was one of the top 10-or-so teams in Europe. But that was the middle of the year. At the end, they alternated between spent and underwhelming. Today, they were the latter.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
22-year-old will complete his $108 million move and be introduced at the Santiago Bernabéu.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
A Davies-for-Sigurdsson swap and the purchase of the Ecudorian winger will give Garry Monk a glut of options in attacking midfield.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
While six World Cup stars will miss the tour, the Citizens still bring a talented squad to the U.S.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
The Spanish midfielder is expected to return to Spain this week to finalize his departure from the club.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Honduran midfielder will miss six to eight months.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Group is pushing for a $160-$200 million venue, claiming to be on MLS’s “short list.”
Jul 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
The 17-year-old potential U.S. international played along side Aaron Ramsey and About Diaby on Saturday.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
How does a player who snared four goals in two games miss out? Robbie Keane came up just short.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The findings were due in late July, but will have to wait. Will Qatar and Russia hold onto their World Cup hosting duties?
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Those in New Jersey and Portland could see a whole lot of Julian Green in the next couple weeks.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Relive five of Stevie G’s best goals over his 14-year England career.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
An amusing video of NYC accents atop the US national anthem gives Arsenal a victory in viral video.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will Wazza take the armband from Stevie G? Not so fast, there are some other chaps to contemplate first…
Jul 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No goals for Americans south of the border, but there was plenty of actions as the 2014 Apertura took its first steps.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
What makes an MLS franchise great? Who is the greatest? Is there a right or wrong answer?
Jul 21, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Former World Cup winning captain to be handed the reins for second time in four years.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
“Football at Fenway” will have a fine follow-up, as American international Holden joins the doubleheader broadcast of San Jose and Chicago from Buck Shaw Stadium.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Will Drogba return to Stamford Bridge this summer?
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Another veteran departs Old Trafford, as Evra signs for Juventus.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After 14 years playing for the Three Lions, Gerrard calls it quits.
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10