May 26, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
A few more roster notes on the 23 men available for selection to U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, courtesy of U.S. Soccer:
(More can be found here, from U.S. Soccer’s communications staff.)
- Fourteen players have World Cup qualifying experience.
- Steve Cherundolo and Landon Donovan are beginning their fourth qualifying cycle; Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard and Oguchi Onyewu commence their third.
- Bocanegra is one of five players on the roster to captain their club teams. The others are Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Cherundolo (Hannover), Donovan (LA Galaxy) and Clarence Goodson (Brondby).
- Tim Howard is second in all-time for victories for U.S. goalkeepers. Further, he has eight clean sheets in 16 World Cup qualifying appearances.
- Donovan returns to the national team for the first time since September of 2011. The USA’s all-time leading scorer also has the most appearances for any U.S. player in World Cup qualifying (35) and goals (12).
- Jozy Altidore has six goals in 13 career qualifiers; Michael Bradley and Dempsey have five each.
- Dempsey is coming off a record-setting season for a U.S. international in England, recording his 50th career English Premier League goal while setting a single-season mark for league goals scored (17) and goals in all competitions (23). He also tallied the USA’s lone goal in the 1-0 win against Italy on Feb. 29 in Genoa.
- Altidore finished his first season at AZ Alkmaar with 19 goals in all competitions, including 15 in league play and four in the Europa League. Jermaine Jones helped Schalke 04 to a third-place finish in the Bundesliga and a spot in next year’s UEFA Champions League.
- With 19 goals in all competitions in the last year, Herculez Gomez became the first U.S. player to win both an MLS Cup title and Mexican League title as Santos defeated Monterrey in the two-leg final.
- Terrence Boyd finished with 20 goals for Borussia Dortmund’s second team, scoring a goal in the final that helped the team gain promotion to the Third Division.
- Bradley played in a career-high 34 league games in his first season at Chievo Verona in Italy’s Serie A, the Flying Donkeys finishing in 10th in the league table.
- Joe Corona is the only player looking for his first U.S. cap. The midfielder and Development Academy product scored four goals for the U-23 MNT in the 2012 CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying tournament.
- Michael Parkhurst comes to camp as a newly crowned champion, as FC Nordsjaelland captured the Danish Superligaen title after finishing two points ahead of FC Copenhagen.
- Geoff Cameron started the USA’s first two matches of 2012, consecutive 1-0 victories against Venezuela and Panama.
- Bocanegra and Maurice Edu play for Scottish Premier League side Rangers alongside Scotland defenders Lee Wallace and Steven Whittaker and goalkeeper Allan McGregor.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
Newcastle will look to follow Everton’s lead in ending decades of frustration at Old Trafford, with both the Magpies and Manchester United coming off recently-rare losses.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:41 AM EST
David Moyes denies using an expletive to describe his Old Trafford booing by Everton supporters, while plenty are weighing in on his performance.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:14 AM EST
Why Liverpool should break the bank to keep Suarez at Anfield:
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EST
Can you name the now seven keepers to win Premier League monthly honors as top player? Hints: Tim Krul of Newcastle just became No. 7, and one man won it with two teams.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:16 AM EST
With Fulham grinding for their Premier League lives, can Dimitar Berbatov help guide the Craven Cottage faithful to safer waters, or is he not the type of player suited for a relegation battle?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:27 AM EST
How does the 2012 Goalkeeper of the Year compare to this year’s runner up?
Dec 6, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
The Everton defender backs David Moyes to have long-term success at Manchester United. So much so, that it almost seems like he wishes his old boss had brought him along to Old Trafford…
Dec 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Despite the fact that the 49-year-old manager gives no care to who the United States get drawn against, he does have a preference for another draw…their location.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
We will also look at the midfields, the forward groups and the goalkeepers
Dec 5, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
From the season opening win in San Jose to the turnaround against LA and their final wins over Portland, we talk about RSL’s 2013.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
Southampton’s injuries have compounded, as down goes their midfield stalwort.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Manager Peter Vermes, goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen and midfielder Graham Zusi spoke to media from Kansas City on Thursday evening:
Dec 5, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
The loss of the 95-year-old South African legend has reminded many around the sport of memories they had, or what the man did for not just soccer but humanity.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
Will Lukaku and co. roll into the Emirates and upset the apple cart? We break it down:
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Picking matches in the Premier League is darn near impossible but somebody has to do it.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
“Right now the media are getting AVB to do exactly what they want him to do, which is react and get upset,” Martino said.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
Chicago Fire forward Mike Magee was voted the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2013 season.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
EXCLUSIVE — Howard and Bradley agree huge task awaits in Brazil, but progress past the quarterfinal stage is still the aim:
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
Pele’s reluctance to help draw the balls stems from his reputation in Brazil as a ‘pe-fri’, or ‘cold foot’.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
“I can’t really see women in football. I don’t like to say it but that’s how it is,” Gattuso said.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 6
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)