May 26, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Danny Koevermans didn’t come on until the hour mark, but when you score the goal that ends a league record run of futility, you get the honor. Taking advantage of a nice effort from fellow sub Nick Soolsma, TFC’s oft-injured striker thighed home the winner in the 88th minute, improving Toronto to 1-9-0 on the season.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Koeverman’s goal, combined with some poorly-taken chances from Ryan Johnson, will only heighten the refrain: What would this season be if TFC’s big ticket attacking purchase was healthy?
- For much of this match Toronto was the better team, particularly in the first half. With Reggie Lambe and Joao Plata on each side of Johnson, Torsten Frings and Julian de Guzman sitting behind Luis Silva, there was a nice balance to the team.
- The only problem was the end product. Plata missed an easy chance early. Johnson continued to have trouble putting his opportunities on frame. The team continues to direly miss a healthy Koevermans.
- Plata, however, was TFC’s best player before Koevermans scored, yet he came off at the hour mark. TFC’s spark plug left to a nice round of applause from the home fans, and although he came off for Koevermans, the move was still a bit of a header-scratcher. Why not take off Johnson?
- Frings, still coming back from injury, looked decent, even if some of this passes in the final third could have been better. The TFC captain did seemed to be bothered by his shoulder at times, and a Gabriel Farfan (unintentional) forearm to the face gave him some trouble in the second half.
- Philadelphia started 4-4-2, with both Danny Mwanga and Lionard Pajoy up top, but the Union never really caused Milos Kosic much trouble. While Philadelphia feigned some second half ascension, the best chances at match’s end were Toronto’s.
- Chris Konopka, essentially a third-choice `keeper for Philadelphia, played well, even if he could have done better on the goal. With Zac MacMath and Chase Harrison already out, the Union nearly had to bring on Brian Rowe (a league pool goalkeeper), with their final sub after Konopka tweaked a hammy in the 81st minute.
- There was already grumbling amongst Philadelphia fans disgruntled over their team’s poor start. Today’s result won’t help. It would be one thing if the Union played well but gave up a late heartbreaker, but that’s not what happened. The final score was fair, leaving Union fans to ask If we’re not better than Toronto, what exactly’s going on?
Jul 30, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
CONCACAF’s refereeing department could be in line for something of an overhaul in the coming months and years.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Back in the Premier League after a season away, can the Canaries stay up and solidify their place among England’s elite?
Jul 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Following Tottenham’s 2-1 loss to the MLS All-Stars, Mauricio Pochettino said he is unsure as to where Yedlin will be playing next season.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Zlatan’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires next season, but he won’t let anyone know his plans for the future.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Last season was a complete disaster for Newcastle. Can Steve McClaren turn things around for the Magpies?
Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Liverpool could lose two strikers, while Mario Gomez is on his way to Besiktas.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:06 AM EDT
The South Korean billionaire is looking to become the new president of FIFA, and he had some choice words for his rivals.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Heading into Louis van Gaal’s second season at Old Trafford, trophies are on the minds of everyone in Manchester.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
The defender had been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United, but it looks like he’ll be staying at Madrid.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Kaka and David Villa scored for the All Stars, which built on last year’s 2-1 win against Bayern Munich.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Halftime substitutions including Andreas Pereira gave some life to United, but the Red Devils still couldn’t find the back of the net.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The 86th minute tally came moments after FCKC had drawn level at 2-2.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Could this be on account of overseas interest, or is he just ready to go closer to home?
Jul 29, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
The Azerbaijani champions nearly walked out of Celtic Park with a deadlock, but Boyata’s second goal in as many games did the trick.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Rog and Davo pod from Chelsea vs. Barcelona at FedExField in Landover, Maryland. Chelsea captain John Terry guests.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
It might be old hat for Drogba, but it’s pretty nutty for us.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Tranquillo Barnetta is set to join Maurice Edu in the Philadelphia Union’s engine room, as the 30-year-old Bundesliga veteran makes his move on a free transfer.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
How different will City’s lineup look at the end of August? It’s hard to project anything without that knowledge, but we’ll make an attempt.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Robbie Brady and James Chester are leaving the Championship side for new homes back in England’s top flight.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
JPW discusses the chances that Norwich City, Bournemouth, and Watford have of staying up next season.
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 2
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 5
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1