May 26, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Danny Koevermans didn’t come on until the hour mark, but when you score the goal that ends a league record run of futility, you get the honor. Taking advantage of a nice effort from fellow sub Nick Soolsma, TFC’s oft-injured striker thighed home the winner in the 88th minute, improving Toronto to 1-9-0 on the season.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Koeverman’s goal, combined with some poorly-taken chances from Ryan Johnson, will only heighten the refrain: What would this season be if TFC’s big ticket attacking purchase was healthy?
- For much of this match Toronto was the better team, particularly in the first half. With Reggie Lambe and Joao Plata on each side of Johnson, Torsten Frings and Julian de Guzman sitting behind Luis Silva, there was a nice balance to the team.
- The only problem was the end product. Plata missed an easy chance early. Johnson continued to have trouble putting his opportunities on frame. The team continues to direly miss a healthy Koevermans.
- Plata, however, was TFC’s best player before Koevermans scored, yet he came off at the hour mark. TFC’s spark plug left to a nice round of applause from the home fans, and although he came off for Koevermans, the move was still a bit of a header-scratcher. Why not take off Johnson?
- Frings, still coming back from injury, looked decent, even if some of this passes in the final third could have been better. The TFC captain did seemed to be bothered by his shoulder at times, and a Gabriel Farfan (unintentional) forearm to the face gave him some trouble in the second half.
- Philadelphia started 4-4-2, with both Danny Mwanga and Lionard Pajoy up top, but the Union never really caused Milos Kosic much trouble. While Philadelphia feigned some second half ascension, the best chances at match’s end were Toronto’s.
- Chris Konopka, essentially a third-choice `keeper for Philadelphia, played well, even if he could have done better on the goal. With Zac MacMath and Chase Harrison already out, the Union nearly had to bring on Brian Rowe (a league pool goalkeeper), with their final sub after Konopka tweaked a hammy in the 81st minute.
- There was already grumbling amongst Philadelphia fans disgruntled over their team’s poor start. Today’s result won’t help. It would be one thing if the Union played well but gave up a late heartbreaker, but that’s not what happened. The final score was fair, leaving Union fans to ask If we’re not better than Toronto, what exactly’s going on?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole has drawn the interest of MLS teams once again.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Cristiano Ronaldo praises manager Louis van Gaal and is convinced that the 63-year-old will lead Manchester United to its former glory.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Short recap and highlights of Saturday’s Round 9 Premier League matches.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
With three games on the slate, here’s what you can look forward to on Sunday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Final: Montreal Impact 1, D.C. United 1
Oct 25, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
The Chicago Fire are seeking to bolster the strength of their roster, examining the possible signing of ex-Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jaime O’Hara.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
A sleepy game for over an hour, Seattle and L.A. used the last hour to stage a contest worthy of a trophy-winning event.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Pique speaks of his handball in Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid: “It was unintentional.”
Oct 25, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
The L.A. Galaxy and Seattle Sounders are scoreless through 45 minutes at CenturyLink in Washington.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Leeds United have fired manager Darko Milanic after only 32 days leading the squad.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Several fun games whet the appetite for a massive top of table Sunday tilt between Bayern Munich and Borussia Monchengladbach.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
With six games on Saturday in the PL, here’s what happened.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Wilfried Bony scored both goals for Swans, 2-0, who cruised to the win against the suddenly-struggling Foxes.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Will the Sounders handle the Galaxy and expectations to clinch home-field throughout the playoffs?
Oct 25, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
“Maybe they [Stoke] created two possibilities, not chances and that’s a great team effort,” Koeman said of his Saints.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Despite going behind earlier, Real came roaring back to win the first El Clasico of 2014-15.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Watch and enjoy, then follow the second half live on NBC and online via Live Extra.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Neymar and Ronaldo stealing the show so far, as four on yellows for Barca. Live updates, here:
Oct 25, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini magnanimous in defeat, but City could be eight points off top spot by the end of the weekend.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Reds thwarted by stubborn Tigers, as Balotelli fires a blank once again.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2