May 26, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Man of the Match: Danny Koevermans didn’t come on until the hour mark, but when you score the goal that ends a league record run of futility, you get the honor. Taking advantage of a nice effort from fellow sub Nick Soolsma, TFC’s oft-injured striker thighed home the winner in the 88th minute, improving Toronto to 1-9-0 on the season.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Koeverman’s goal, combined with some poorly-taken chances from Ryan Johnson, will only heighten the refrain: What would this season be if TFC’s big ticket attacking purchase was healthy?
- For much of this match Toronto was the better team, particularly in the first half. With Reggie Lambe and Joao Plata on each side of Johnson, Torsten Frings and Julian de Guzman sitting behind Luis Silva, there was a nice balance to the team.
- The only problem was the end product. Plata missed an easy chance early. Johnson continued to have trouble putting his opportunities on frame. The team continues to direly miss a healthy Koevermans.
- Plata, however, was TFC’s best player before Koevermans scored, yet he came off at the hour mark. TFC’s spark plug left to a nice round of applause from the home fans, and although he came off for Koevermans, the move was still a bit of a header-scratcher. Why not take off Johnson?
- Frings, still coming back from injury, looked decent, even if some of this passes in the final third could have been better. The TFC captain did seemed to be bothered by his shoulder at times, and a Gabriel Farfan (unintentional) forearm to the face gave him some trouble in the second half.
- Philadelphia started 4-4-2, with both Danny Mwanga and Lionard Pajoy up top, but the Union never really caused Milos Kosic much trouble. While Philadelphia feigned some second half ascension, the best chances at match’s end were Toronto’s.
- Chris Konopka, essentially a third-choice `keeper for Philadelphia, played well, even if he could have done better on the goal. With Zac MacMath and Chase Harrison already out, the Union nearly had to bring on Brian Rowe (a league pool goalkeeper), with their final sub after Konopka tweaked a hammy in the 81st minute.
- There was already grumbling amongst Philadelphia fans disgruntled over their team’s poor start. Today’s result won’t help. It would be one thing if the Union played well but gave up a late heartbreaker, but that’s not what happened. The final score was fair, leaving Union fans to ask If we’re not better than Toronto, what exactly’s going on?
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers