May 27, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
We’ve seen Landon Donovan’s three goals from last night. If you haven’t, help yourself, please.
Saturday’s show-stopper was his third internationally with a hat trick or better. So, what about the others?
His first “hat trick” was actually a four-goal outburst, way back in 2003. During a Gold Cup quarterfinal, Donovan became the fourth player in program history to strike four times. The United States prevailed easily, 5-0.
Four years later in a friendly against Ecuador (a 3-1 win, this one also down in Florida, just like last night’s), Donovan contributed a terrific trio of three quality finishes.
Here are the highlights of that one.
(Bonus: you get to hear Bruce Arena as a commentator; I had forgotten about this particular blip on the man’s otherwise formidable resume.)
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1