May 27, 2012, 12:50 AM EDT
Man of the Match: Darlington Nagbe has been moved all around Portland’s attack as John Spencer tries to find a balance between putting him in places to score goals and getting him on the ball as often as possible. Tonight Nagbe played at the tip of a midfield diamond, a position that served Portland well thanks to the return of Kalif Alhassan. With Alhassan’s threat wide, Nagbe was able to spark Portland’s to-date-dormant counter attack, connecting on 41 of 45 passes in the process.
Packaged for takeaway:
- Unfortunately for Portland, those counterattacks led to nothing. They still need to get their forwards (whichever ones they choose) working together to create chances. Right now, it’s a lot of get ball, shoot ball. Jorge Perlaza and Kris Boyd only combined to create one meaningful chance together.
- That’s how a team can control 84 minutes of the match and not get all three points. Portland was the better side but only generated one goal, a score gifted to them by some bad goalkeeping by Joe Cannon (who had an … adventurous night).
- The goal came after some good work near the line by Kalif Alhassan opened up space along the flank, giving Jack Jewsbury tons of room to cross for Boyd. Both Alhassan (for a great run in the second half) and Jewsbury (for a steadily above average night) had MotM shouts.
- This game was delayed 25 minutes coming out of halftime, with lightning flashes keeping the players off the field (while Timbers’ supporters taunted the elements).
- Vancouver went with more of a 4-3-3 variant, one which never worked. The midfield of Gershon Koffie, John Thorrington and Jun Marques Davidson pushed Koffie too high, too often. They trio had trouble getting the ball to their attackers – Sebastien Le Toux, Camilo Sanvezzo, and Davide Chiumiento.
- Vancouver’s midfield is so good with Davidson holding and Koffie shuttling. The demands of MLS require some flexibility, but Martin Renne should mess with that success as little as possible.
- Le Toux played as a number nine. I like the idea of not trying to muscle up with Portland’s defenders (Hayner Mosquera, Eric Brunner), maybe put a danger man there that could drop off the line, draw somebody out, allowing the wide men to fly into the space. Unfortunately, that never came off (see Whitecaps’ midfield issues).
- Vancouver’s winner came after getting another nine on. Eric Hassli’s flick for Darren Mattocks created the winner, one which may have took advantage of a change forced upon Portland. Brunner had to be brought off at halftime, with a first half clash of heads the suspected culprit. The Mosquera-David Horst duo couldn’t stop Hassli-Mattocks.
- Despite probably being second best, it was a good, well-earned point for Vancouver. Portland played well, but the Whitecaps still found a way to get a road point.
- For John Spencer, it’s another late capitulation, losing two points when his team was en route to three. Closing out matches continues to be a major issue.
May 27, 2015, 7:52 AM EDT
Texas has been hit with massive flooding that has left at least 19 dead, as soccer takes a backseat.
May 27, 2015, 6:55 AM EDT
Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch speaks about the FBI’s investigation into widespread allegations of corruption at FIFA.
FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups
May 27, 2015, 6:08 AM EDT
Mark down May 27, 2015 as perhaps the lowest point in FIFA’s history.
May 27, 2015, 5:20 AM EDT
FIFA officials from CONCACAF region and South America dominate the FBI’s wanted list.
May 27, 2015, 12:44 AM EDT
An unprecedented blow to the upper tier of FIFA’s personnel structure could be the beginning of a sweeping takedown of the organization’s corrupt inner workings.
May 26, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Toronto FC has put a “projected Starting XI” on Twitter, one that includes Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco.
May 26, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
Well, the Premier League season has been over for a solid 59 hours, and we shouldn’t let it get to 60 without digging through the muck that is the transfer rumor mill.
May 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
All-in-all, he’s played for 11 clubs — four on loan — and only one for more than 30 matches (Standard Liege).
May 26, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT
He finished off the speech with a brilliant line regarding Chelsea, “They played from August till May and sometimes they brought the bus.”
May 26, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Chicharito’s career will make an interesting case study when all’s said and done.
May 26, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
“Surely he knows … that outside of the voting chambers, that the world … the players and supporters, want change,” Delaney said.
May 26, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
The USMNT faces Germany on June 10 in Cologne after a June 5 date at Amsterdam Arena against the Netherlands.
May 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A great deal of clubs can find young talent on our list, as the 2014-15 season review continues.
May 26, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
Napoli finished fourth in Serie A, and made it to the Europa League semifinal before being bounced by Dnipro.
May 26, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
This list will tend to include more high-profile names than low-risk moves that didn’t pan out.
May 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Find out which 11 players shone during the final matchday of the 2014-15 PL season.
May 26, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The grades are in… Let’s see who is top of the class.
May 26, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
A hat trick hero finished the season off in style. Find out who was the best in the PL during the final week of the season.
May 26, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor reflects on another action-packed PL season.
May 26, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
West Ham’s 2015-16 season will now kick off on July 2.
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 3
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 0
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 3
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7